Toto energy massive price increase

Options

Comments

• Theta101
    Options
    In my email informing me of the price increases...

Your rights as a consumer

You have a right to end your contract because of the
    charge increase. There will be no exit fee for ending your
    contract if you tell us you want to do this by 04 Jan 2018.
    Just e-mail us secondthoughts@totoenergy.com
  • Forumbod
    Options
    I agree totally with other posters, ToTo energy is utter pants, a complete nightmare. Their support staff are kids on work experience I'm sure, they do not know their own product or company. Trying to get through to them is nigh impossible, when you finally do they promise this and promise that but never do they fulfill their promises. Emails remain unanswered - forever! Never had a bill (despite repeated requests) so I don't know if I'm in credit or debit.

And yes, although called a Variable Discount Saver in the welcome pack it says, quite clearly, the price is guaranteed until . . . lying so and so's!
  • Firepig
    Options
    I'm having the same experience. Switched to Toto through Energy Club where it was listed under fixed price deals, in April 2017. I thought it was odd that it was described as "TOTO Discount Variable Saver" in the welcome email so I checked it carefully, and sure enough, it included a price guaranteed until 28 April 2018:
    Unit rate 12.76 p/kWh
    Standing charge 20.00 p/day
    Tariff ends on 28 April 2018
    Price guaranteed until 28 April 2018
    Exit fees (if you switch before
    the end date) £10.00 per fuel (inc VAT)
    Gas was as above with
    Unit rate 2.40 p/kWh
    Standing charge 23.00 p/day
    Now had an email (4 December) telling me prices are going up on 2 January. It's very naughty in that it quotes the new prices ex VAT - adding the VAT shows that the gas unit price is going up a massive 48%, from 2.4p to 3.55p.
    TOTO's phone system promises a callback but no call comes. Their online chat says their advisers are busy and tells you to look at their help pages. No reply to an email as yet.

Firepig
  • h1ubs
    h1ubs Posts: 20 Forumite
    Options
    Firepig wrote: »
    I'm having the same experience. Switched to Toto through Energy Club where it was listed under fixed price deals, in April 2017. I thought it was odd that it was described as "TOTO Discount Variable Saver" in the welcome email so I checked it carefully, and sure enough, it included a price guaranteed until 28 April 2018:

Firepig

There are now several people on this thread who have a clear recollection that the TOTO deal was promoted by MSE Cheap Energy Club as a fixed deal when they switched. It would be nice to have confirmation or denial by MSE CEC whilst we await clarification still sadly lacking from TOTO.
  • Theta101
    Options
    Firepig

Well spotted about the VAT so my real increase is even larger!
  • jrh2254
    jrh2254 Posts: 35 Forumite
    Options
    I have not had a response yet to the email I sent to TOTO regarding the price guarantee.
    However I received a generic email about moving to some new seasonal direct debit plan. Buried half way down was :
    What’s a price guarantee and exit fees?
    A variable tariff terms and conditions means the price could be subject to change. Unfortunately, some welcome packs may have mistakenly included a reference to a “price guarantee”. We’re very sorry, this was a misprint.

So what should be our next move?
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    jrh2254 wrote: »
    I have not had a response yet to the email I sent to TOTO regarding the price guarantee.
    However I received a generic email about moving to some new seasonal direct debit plan. Buried half way down was :
    What’s a price guarantee and exit fees?
    A variable tariff terms and conditions means the price could be subject to change. Unfortunately, some welcome packs may have mistakenly included a reference to a “price guarantee”. We’re very sorry, this was a misprint.

So what should be our next move?

Report them to consumeraffairs@ofgem.gov.uk with copies of all paperwork etc. Bear in mind that at this point of time there has been no breach of contract; ie, you are still paying the original variable tariff prices. The more people who complain the quicker that Ofgem will take note.
  • Gart100
    Options
    Toto have informed me this morning (in the lead up to Xmas) that they intend to increase my direct debit by 50% for the winter months (to £165) and reduce it 50% in the summer (£55) starting immediately.

What happens if Toto Energy go out of business before my direct debit goes back to the summer rate? I'm not confident to be honest.

Their customer service has been rank awful so far. I've been with them since April and I still haven't been able to access an online statement on my account and all they want to do is flog me a smart meter!

I understood my tariff to be a fixed rate. But Toto have now informed me that "Unfortunately, some welcome packs may have mistakenly included a reference to a “price guarantee”. We’re very sorry, this was a misprint"

I've had enough, so I'm changing. Its going to cost me a £20 release fee though. I'd love to know what MoneySavingExpert has to say on this though. Seems a bit shocking.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Gart100 wrote: »
    Toto have informed me this morning (in the lead up to Xmas) that they intend to increase my direct debit by 50% for the winter months (to £165) and reduce it 50% in the summer (£55) starting immediately.

What happens if Toto Energy go out of business before my direct debit goes back to the summer rate? I'm not confident to be honest.

Their customer service has been rank awful so far. I've been with them since April and I still haven't been able to access an online statement on my account and all they want to do is flog me a smart meter!

I understood my tariff to be a fixed rate. But Toto have now informed me that "Unfortunately, some welcome packs may have mistakenly included a reference to a “price guarantee”. We’re very sorry, this was a misprint"

I've had enough, so I'm changing. Its going to cost me a £20 release fee though. I'd love to know what MoneySavingExpert has to say on this though. Seems a bit shocking.

All consumer credits are now fully protected by Ofgem's Supplier of Last Resort procedures. This protection came into effect a year ago.
  • kookyforcake
    Options
    Gart100,

Got the same email this morning, too.
    Shocking.
    I've sent all my correspondance to MSE energy club, hopefully they'll remove Toto from their switch options. Will definitley be switching. Will stick to Big6 next time, methinks. . .
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure