An energy efficient kettle for less than £50.

Options
2»

Comments

• dlusman
    dlusman Posts: 2,711 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    So there is no point in replacing the current cheapo asda brand kettle?

You can make gains with smaller minimum fills , better insulation, quicker cutoffs etc - but reading your posts I dont think you will ever get the improvements you believe possible
  • Dox
    Dox Posts: 3,116 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 17 December 2017 at 12:51AM
    Options
    So there is no point in replacing the current cheapo asda brand kettle?

Replacing it won't give you a more 'energy efficient' kettle for the reasons given earlier in this thread.

A full (1 litre) kettle costs about 2.5p to boil (far less if you're only boiling enough for one cup of tea or coffee), so you'd need to be boiling an awful lot of kettles to make any real impact on your electricity bill. I presume you've ensured you are with one of the better (i.e. cheaper) electricity suppliers?
  • donnajunkie
    donnajunkie Posts: 32,412 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Dox wrote: »
    Replacing it won't give you a more 'energy efficient' kettle for the reasons given earlier in this thread.

A full (1 litre) kettle costs about 2.5p to boil (far less if you're only boiling enough for one cup of tea or coffee), so you'd need to be boiling an awful lot of kettles to make any real impact on your electricity bill. I presume you've ensured you are with one of the better (i.e. cheaper) electricity suppliers?

On the display that came with the smart meter the bar goes up depending on how much is being used. Low is green, then orange then red. When boiling a kettle it flies up into the orange section which is quite high. Just thought a better quality kettle might get that down a bit. Then again i don't know how much i can trust the display gadget because it is saying our daily usage is more than double what it used to be. At the same time a recent meter read kept payments as they were.
  • Dox
    Dox Posts: 3,116 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 17 December 2017 at 11:38AM
    Options
    On the display that came with the smart meter the bar goes up depending on how much is being used. Low is green, then orange then red. When boiling a kettle it flies up into the orange section which is quite high. Just thought a better quality kettle might get that down a bit. Then again i don't know how much i can trust the display gadget because it is saying our daily usage is more than double what it used to be. At the same time a recent meter read kept payments as they were.

Kettles don't vary much in quality, just in wattage. A 'rapid boil' kettle will send your smart meter hurtling into the orange or red zone - but for a much shorter time than its lower wattage, non-rapid boil cousin. In other words, the amount of electricity used will be the same overall by the time your kettle has boiled.

Smart meters have limitations, particularly if the green/orange/red reading is interpreted simply as good/not so good/bad.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure