PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

March 2017 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• Franalamadingdong
    Options
    Despite the bread being savaged by DS I haven't been shopping! I'm rather pleased. Just means he has to go locust something else. I think we're pretty much on target at the moment.
  • Coxy11
    Coxy11 Posts: 4,887 Forumite
    Homepage Hero Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hi all,
    Budgets list updated to here :)
    Welcome back tigerfeet2006 :D
    Coxy
    Cross-stitch WIP: Durene Jones Haberdashery Shop 365 1p challenge member No.6 Read 24 books in 2024 - currently reading Into the Water by Paula Hawkins 14/24
  • meg72
    meg72 Posts: 5,164 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Morning folks.

I don't know how many of you may remember me. I was on this board nearly five years ago before we moved to the ME. We are now back in the U.K. and our looking for jobs and housing and living with relatives at the moment. Once we actually are settled some where I will be back on the Grocery Challenge as we will have a seriously reduced income and to be honest I'm not sure how we are going manage but I know with everyone's help and advice and support I can keep the grocery shopping under control. I'm not sure when we will be in our own place and able to start the challenge but I will be following the GC thread until then to learn about what's changed in the last five years.

Any one who wants to tell me their money saving secrets meanwhile can go ahead I won't object :D, we are probably going to be settling in Cornwall.

Welcome back good luck in getting settled, it takes a while to re adjust but you get back into it. I had the same situation years ago when I returned from Africa, lol leaving the Husband behind. No home, no money and two kids to feed. Lucky had a lovely family who helped us out.
    Slimming World at target
  • XSpender
    XSpender Posts: 3,811 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Quick update from me. We are now at £138.97/£400 for March with 3 weekends/shopping trips to go. I think there is another fiver to add on as DH has spent some money on lunches when I was away this week (even though I bought his favourite ready meals to avoid this). His spends are a lot less than last month though. He even went to a different shop last night to buy some beers as they are over a £1 more expensive in the c0-op.

I start the next cycle of my healthy eating plan so will have to do a detailed meal plan and shopping list before I venture out to the shops at the weekend.
    Save £10,500 - £2673.77 - 25.5%
    Pay off £7000 - £1743 - 19.4%
    Make £2021 extra income - £99.75
  • Islandmaid
    Islandmaid Posts: 6,520 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    NSD here :)

Have been Fridge and freezer auditing and meal planning:)
    Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!

£300/£130
  • Bluegreen143
    Bluegreen143 Posts: 3,056 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Jumping in mid month!

Used to do this challenge a few years back but got out of the habit of posting! My husband has just changed careers and is on a low training wage for 5 months and I work part time, so money is super tight right now and I really miss having the support of everyone in the challenge to motivate me :)

Feeding myself, husband and 15 month old (who eats what we eat). Son gets breakfast/lunch/snacks at the childminder's three days a week but otherwise it's all meals for all of us including packed lunches for work for us adults. £120 budget.

I have separate budgets for spending money (including alcohol), pets (we have three chickens and a cat) and household supplies/toiletries etc (£40 a month).

So far we've spent £68.37 / £120 this month.
    Part time working mum | Married in 2014 | DS born 2015 & DD born 2018 | Allegedly attempting to be mortgage free - diary here
  • Bluegreen143
    Bluegreen143 Posts: 3,056 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Forgot to say we do our big shop on a Thursday so shouldn't need much if anything for the next week.
    Part time working mum | Married in 2014 | DS born 2015 & DD born 2018 | Allegedly attempting to be mortgage free - diary here
  • poohbear59
    poohbear59 Posts: 4,866 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    I would like to join you all again, please. I have done this challenge but maybe not for about seven or eight years. Our family is smaller now but we still seem to spend a lot on food. Or to me it is a lot. We cook everything from scratch including baked beans but there is always room for improvement. There are three adults here and until I can collect all receipts I plan to aim for £200 for the whole month. As it is part way through the month I think a plan of £132 from today until 31st March will be my aim.
    business mortgage £0))''(+ Barclay's business kitchen loan £0=Total paid off was £96105 PPI claimed and received £13527
    'I had a black dog, his name was depression".
  • Doom_and_Gloom
    Doom_and_Gloom Posts: 4,695 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    I'll admit, I'm a little worried about our spending. Day 10 and we have spent over half this months budget! I have added a whole box of tea that will last me the year to this instead of spreading the cost. OH has picked up enough reduced meat for the month.
    It should be doable.

Dinner : pasta and cheese sauce (OH). Shepherdless pie mix with pasta and vegetables (cauliflower, broccoli, brussel sprouts and spinach) (me).

£79.91/£155.
    £75.09 left.
    I am a vegan woman. My OH is a lovely omni guy :D
  • karenccs67
    karenccs67 Posts: 1,080 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    So, I have a Asda two minutes away which I shop in, well I did until Monday ..... It caught fire and will be closed for several months. My next closest Asda is a 25 mile round trip ...:mad: or I could go to Tesco but that is a 16 mile round trip. I could opt for home delivery but I find that doesn't have the same choice and I know they're supposed to deliver food with long dates but in my experience they don't, so my dilemma is where do I shop ... :mad:
    ***Dont save what is left after spending, spend what is left after saving***
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure