MoneySaving Poll: How do you rate your energy provider?

Options
Former_MSE_Liane
Former_MSE_Liane Posts: 27 Forumite
edited 5 August 2014 at 2:34PM in MoneySaving polls
Poll started 5 August 2014

Is your energy company's service any good?

More horrid reports of energy firm billing errors. We regularly ask for your feedback on firms and have brought it forward, to see how big the issues are.

Please rate your current supplier’s SERVICE (not price) over the last SIX MONTHS (or less if you’ve recently switched). If you’ve gas and electricity with different firms please vote for both.

Did you vote? Are you surprised at the results so far? Have your say below. To see the results from last time, click this.

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Thanks! :)

[threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]

Comments

• Consumerist
    Consumerist Posts: 6,310 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    This poll is also quite interesting to see what the market share is between the suppliers for MSE subscribers. I wonder to what extent MSE subscribers are representative of the country as a whole.
    >:)Warning: In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
  • pollypenny
    pollypenny Posts: 29,393 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Npower has generally been good. However, we had a hiccough last year when we were hugely in credit and had a bit of a job to get a refund.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
  • victoriana
    victoriana Posts: 4 Newbie
    edited 14 August 2014 at 10:52AM
    Options
    My mother switched from Co-operative Energy on 6 June 2014. They sent her a final bill dated 1 July, saying payment would take 21 days. No refund cheque arrived. Chased it up and they had sat on it for a month doing nothing, then said it would take another 30 days or more to send a cheque. That`s three months or more for repayment. Put in an official complaint, posted on their Facebook page to let others be warned that I wouldn`t recommend them to anyone. If we owed them they would expect payment within 2 weeks. Told them I expect payment by the end of the week or I will be charging interest on the debt (8% allowable from when debt became due under County Court rules). I will also be contacting Watchdog, and any other place I can think of to give them bad press. My mother`s bill from the new company will be due in three months. She needs the refund to pay the next bill. She is a pensioner and in poor health. This is having a very bad effect on her. Totally scandalous.

Following posting on Facebook, I was contacted by a Public Relations Officer. I informed her that I would be taking the matter to County Court (small claims court), that I have made claims there before and won every case, and am very familiar with their procedures. As well as the 8% interest on the debt they would have to pay costs (around £150). We have since been offered a goodwill payment and the refund is being processed. Post on Facebook - they don`t like their dirty linen aired in public.

Result - cheque arrived this morning and took less than two weeks since I complained. Proves they CAN do it if you stand your ground.
  • jnm21
    jnm21 Posts: 853 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Nice to see you left out the NI companies...
    Certain OTT members have caused me to add this disclaimer: all advice given is free of charge & as such should be taken to be IIRC (as I don't spend hours researching all answers :eek: )!
  • Peter333
    Peter333 Posts: 2,035 Forumite
    Options
    OMG! Npower!!! 72% of just under 800 people think they are poor. That is dreadful!!!

I am with BG. I found it hard to vote because I wouldn't say 'great,' which would suggest 9 or 10 out of 10 imo, but I didn't want to say just 'OK' either, as this suggests only average (like 5 out of 10.)

I wish there had been a 'pretty good' suggestion. I would give them about 7 out of 10 altogether (if it was a score out of 10.)

Basically, I am happy with their overall service, and their customer services: the staff are always friendly and helpful, and I have not waited longer than 2-4 minutes for someone to answer, the last 3 or 4 times I have called. (Although I do call at non-peak times like 11am and 3pm...)

But I do think that their prices could come down a bit, as I know they have made lots of money in profits, and during a harsh winter, some people I know have had to bump their direct debit up to £80 a month just for the gas bill!

They also whinged because the mild winter has robbed them of some of their extortionate profits. :D

So to sum it up - as a supplier, I am happy with their overall service, and the customer service too. However, I do find them rather greedy.

In the end, I put 'ok' as there wasn't a 'pretty good' option.
    You didn't, did you? :rotfl::rotfl:
  • Moireach
    Moireach Posts: 112 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 8 August 2014 at 11:39AM
    Options
    pollypenny wrote: »
    Npower has generally been good. However, we had a hiccough last year when we were hugely in credit and had a bit of a job to get a refund.

Can you explain what happened and how you got a refund? The same thing has happened to us!

I was paying out a direct debit for 12 months straight with no word from Npower, except from the review after 6 months as promised which told me that my direct debit would remain the same.

After 12 months I'm told that we owe them a grand because we used double the amount we paid for. I couldn't believe it when I saw how much we were in credit, having been told that our direct debit wouldn't even go up after the review! And having not recieved a bill for all of 12 months.

I've tried resolving this with them of course and they're trying to slow me down by telling me they're looking into it and they'll get back to me. Why can't they just deal with it when I call them?
  • utigers
    utigers Posts: 221 Forumite
    Options
    Looks like NPower needs a new column:

Good
    Ok
    Poor
    Shocking!
  • Murphybear
    Murphybear Posts: 7,279 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    We are with Eon with prepayment meter. A few weeks ago they sent me a cheque for overpayment of electricity, a few days later another cheque arrived for overpayment of gas. Total about £50. Not a fortune but nice little unexpected bonus.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure