PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Preparedness for when

Options

Comments

• Northern_Lassy
    Northern_Lassy Posts: 332 Forumite
    edited 12 August 2012 at 7:31PM
    Options
    mardatha wrote: »
    And do other things - walk around your house in the dark and learn to feel where things are - windup torches, candles, matches etc. try to find them in the dark and then if it ever happens you'll be used to it.
    Get a plan with the hubby or family - if anything unforeseen happens then do this or go here.

Will be doing this tonight, have just moved to a creaky Victorian house which is three storeys plus a cellar, teenage son with dyspraxia inhabits the top floor, lots of potential for accidents :eek:

So much of it is common sense when you think about it but we are so used to being pampered in modern life, lots to learn here I think x
    Thanks again for the thread, the number of different posters (including delurkers like me) shows the need lots of us are feeling to have a security blanket of self sufficiency if things do go pear-shaped x
    'Forget injuries, never forget kindnesses' - Confucious

• nuatha
    nuatha Posts: 1,932 Forumite
    Options
    elona wrote: »
    nuatha

I think the gas hob and oven may have a safety feature that means it can't be lit unless the ignition does it.

Your oven will most likely have a failsafe (flame failure device) which will cut the gas off with a flame failure or insufficient ignition. Most gas hobs will allow you to light them manually.
    Switch off the power to the hob, turn the gas knob on and keep it depressed (as if lighting it normally) and if you hear a hiss of gas you should be able to light it with a match. Its worth checking this now and possibly practising a few times. The key is speed, light the match or lighter hold to the edge of the hob, then turn on the gas.
    There may be models that are completely dependent on electric, but this procedure works on the majority of hobs (including mine which has a flame failure device)
    Incidentally for none flame failure hobs and ovens ensure that everything is left in the off position if the gas supply is cut off - you don't want the gas turned on if the gas supply resumes.
    HTH
  • mucky_moo
    mucky_moo Posts: 83 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    wow didnt think a thread like this would make me panic so much. im in a flat which doesnt retain heat very well, i dont have any way to light a fire, i have a shower room (no bath to fill with water) its all electric. i have a few tins but have been trying too use up some of my foodstore as some of it is fetting close to the bb dates. i think the only thing i do have is candles and puzzles. will have to think about packing an emergency bag. i think in this scenario i would try and head over to my brothers and his partners house as they have a real fireplace and i wont be alone
    Weight loss - 0/12 GC - July 142.01/£200 Happiness can be found in the darkest of places if only someone turns on the light
  • adelight
    adelight Posts: 2,658 Forumite
    Options
    If there was no power for a week you should be worrying about sewage backing up into your house. You are better off getting a device to block that (google it i can't remember off the top of my head sorry) and going for the kitty litter and bucket method.
    I think the first post, whilst helpful to some people, could really upset and worry others.
    I've prepped as much as I can but there is little I can do without moving house. All electric flat...
    Living cheap in central London :rotfl:
  • Shropshirelass
    Options
    So glad this thread has started, the subject has been at the back of my mind for ages. Reading through, I have a lot to do.

We have a living flame-type gas fire in fireplace, with real chimney but I think it must be blocked off as makes no draft. I have managed to light it with a taper during a (short) power cut. Guess I need an alternative method of cooking in case of loss of all utilities.
  • elona
    elona Posts: 11,806 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    nuatha

I tried it by turning gas ring on hob on in a power cut and then tried to light hob.

Will try it out the way you suggest tomorrow.

DH might not notice if I smuggled a gas camping stove in the house but he would certainly notice something like a camping toilet. One of the prepping sites suggested a sturdy bucket filled with cat litter and a toilet seat on top of it.
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Don't panic, learn, and then you will be able to cope whatever happens. There is so much practical and useful information available here that not only will you not panic, you'll be able to help others cope too.
  • prepareathome
    prepareathome Posts: 1,931 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    mucky_moo wrote: »
    wow didnt think a thread like this would make me panic so much.

Please please don't panic, its not the aim of the thread.....its just to make everyone stop and realise just how much we rely on computers and electric and it there was a complete failure how would you cope.

Remember until the late 19C no one had electricity for anything, although some had gas for lighting before this and steam powered machines before that.

Most people managed and coped - its all about lateral thinking, outside the box. Anyone can do it.

If the National grid was to go down most likely it would be 24hrs tops with just a few places a bit longer, but in middle of winter and nothing in, in preparation even that short time could be grim.

You can stay safe and warm even in an all electric flat with no chimneys honestly you can.

Hugs
    Need to get back to getting finances under control now kin kid at uni as savings are zilch

Fashion on a ration coupon 2021 - 21 left
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Options
    Ok what else our hypothetical lady could maybe have done is-

Had a stash of food etc in the house and stayed put.
    Had an agreed plan of action with her husband for emergencies.
    Had lanterns and candles and torches for powercuts.
    Had a bistro camp stove for cooking and a stove or calor gas fire for heating.
    Gathered the kids in the living room with lanterns, made them cocoa and turned it into an adventure.
  • prepareathome
    prepareathome Posts: 1,931 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    What you need to think about

1. Water after security its top priority but if you are in you own home then it water that should be number one.

So how can you get water?

you might opt as some said to fill up buckets, pans, bath(if you have one) but if you are furthest away from the pump by the time you turn on the taps apart from any water in the pipes from the mains to your house there might not be any as others have emptied it.

Buying in before hand - can you store a couple of gallons around the place ( tap water in a lot of places keeps drinkable for up to 6 months if stored somewhere cool and dark, but do not store in milk cartons they are not made for water storage and leak very quickly)

Are there streams nearby that you can collect water from and purify - always do this no matter how clean you think the water is.

If you still have a water tank in the loft you can purify that to drink, same with water in immersion heater.

I wouldn't use the waters from radiators unless things were very desperate though.

Snow - Mar said it was snowing outside.......did you know you can collect clean snow and purify and use it as drinking, cooking water. So keeping some buckets to collect it is useful - in the winter if possible leave clean buckets outside to collect snow, so its already there for you.

If snow turned to rain collect that.

Any other ideas?

How can you keep warm?
    Need to get back to getting finances under control now kin kid at uni as savings are zilch

Fashion on a ration coupon 2021 - 21 left
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport