Glasses Deals Discussion

Options

Comments

• A.Jones
    A.Jones Posts: 508 Forumite
    Options
    mbhoy wrote: »
    2. Not all Optometrists & Dispensing Opticians are overcharging for the services they provide - I for one don't!

But they are overcharging for the glasses they sell.
    3. There appears to be a number of queries on these pages regarding the provision of different types of spectacle lenses & of eye test prescription interpretation - the provision of properly measured and fitted glasses is essential to aid and assist good vision - it is NOT good practice or advisable to buy glasses which have not been "tailored" to suit. (There are a whole range of prescriptions & lens types that cannot be made up correctly and accurately online)

Presumably because opticians are not giving all the correct information. I asked for my PD from an optician, and they told me that they would not give it to me, since they do not have to put it on the prescription.
    4. In the attempt to save a few pounds on specs, we can do ourselves a great dis-service and even more seriously cause harm due to incorrect spectacles and sub-standard vision. (Especially when driving)
    So please, take care and be cautious when allowing unqualified suppliers to provide your eyecare - you only have one pair of eyes - look after them!

It is not a few pounds, it can be significantly more.
  • jonnym2010
    Options
    Can I add a cautionary note to the discussion on cheap specs from online unregistered suppliers.
    1. Your eyecare is important - all High Strret Dispensing Opticians & Optometrists are qualified professionals dedicated to eye health & care. (They're not just purveyors of glasses!) It is essential for all to have a regular eye examination to ensure good health (both general and eye health), not just a quick vision check "that I can see okay"!
    2. Not all Optometrists & Dispensing Opticians are overcharging for the services they provide - I for one don't!
    3. There appears to be a number of queries on these pages regarding the provision of different types of spectacle lenses & of eye test prescription interpretation - the provision of properly measured and fitted glasses is essential to aid and assist good vision - it is NOT good practice or advisable to buy glasses which have not been "tailored" to suit. (There are a whole range of prescriptions & lens types that cannot be made up correctly and accurately online)
    4. In the attempt to save a few pounds on specs, we can do ourselves a great dis-service and even more seriously cause harm due to incorrect spectacles and sub-standard vision. (Especially when driving)
    So please, take care and be cautious when allowing unqualified suppliers to provide your eyecare - you only have one pair of eyes - look after them!

I have to agree with A.Jones. I know its not all the opticians and I'm sure there are a good minority out there, but the the huge mark up and poor service given buy most large retailers is shameful.

I also was not given the PD even though I specifically asked for it. The glasses I finally settled on buying were £300 for the frames and another astronomical £190 for the lenses from Dollond & Aitchison.

I found several online store selling them all in for under £100 with better lenses.

I use the stores only to try them on, then buy online and feel no shame in doing it. They have no shame in charging me 400% markup.

I just wish I had chosen a more reputable online store than Selectspecs, who have been truly dreadfull!

Jonnym2010
  • jakka
    jakka Posts: 5 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Lensway have increased the price of their cheapest semi rimless from £9.00 to £29.00, another pair of rimless glasses went from £19.00 to £29.00 while I was deciding whether to buy.
    I bought the Groupon £85 glasses for £30. Just thinking may hang on for a couple of months to see if they bring the prices down.
    This is my first posting but can recommend Spex4less.com changed glasses with no questions with excellent customer service.
  • tifo
    tifo Posts: 1,937 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    we can do ourselves a great dis-service and even more seriously cause harm due to incorrect spectacles and sub-standard vision. (Especially when driving)

i've wondered how wrongly made glasses can affect the eyes, can you explain this?
  • tifo
    edited 3 February 2011 at 1:49PM
    Options
    A.Jones wrote: »
    Note that lensway have now removed (or increased the price) of their £9.99 glasses, just before the groupon vouchers go live.

yes, they seem to have been removed, or increased to £29.99 (the cheapest now).

maybe those buying the voucher should complain to Groupon? The offer now seems to be a con.
  • competitionscafe
    Options
    tifo wrote: »
    yes, they seem to have been removed, or increased to £29.99 (the cheapest now).

maybe those buying the voucher should complain to Groupon? The offer now seems to be a con.

This has happened before and yet these Groupon offers continue to be promoted in the weekly newsletter providing tens of thousands of pounds worth of free advertising and new business to Groupon.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.php?p=38703708&postcount=37
    "The happiest of people don't necessarily have the
    best of everything; they just make the best
    of everything that comes along their way."
    -- Author Unknown --
  • tifo
    Options
    This has happened before and yet these Groupon offers continue to be promoted in the weekly newsletter providing tens of thousands of pounds worth of free advertising and new business to Groupon.

and new business for lensway and others. It's all just a big con.
  • Sally_2
    Options
    Hello
    Just joined this forum to complain about the prices of the glasses being put up. I bought the voucher yesterday after seeing the cheaper glasses on the site in the morning, looked again and the cheapest are now £29 which means you cant buy 3 pairs for the £30 coupon, it will cost £87 plus postage so have to add on postage and an extra £2. I went to goggles4u and just bought 3 cheap pairs for £26.55 including postage, have contacted Groupon for refund.
  • MSE_Deborah
    MSE_Deborah Posts: 134 MSE Staff
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    Hi there,

We've noticed some of the prices have gone up too! We're in touch with Groupon about it and will update you here when we have full info.

MSE Deborah

Grab the latest MSE Deals
    Follow the Deals Team on Twitter: @MSE_Deals
    Get Martin's Money Tips
    Join the MSE Forum
  • tifo
    Options
    Sally_2 wrote: »
    I bought the voucher yesterday after seeing the cheaper glasses on the site in the morning, looked again and the cheapest are now £29 which means you cant buy 3 pairs for the £30 coupon, it will cost £87 plus postage so have to add on postage and an extra £2.

Hi, the £30 voucher is worth £85 at lensway (i haven't got one but that's how it's promoted). So you can spend up to £85 and pay with the voucher you paid £30 for.

If you could only buy £30 with the voucher you paid £30 for there's no point in a promotion is there.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure