Charles Stanley or Hargreaves S&S Transfer

Options
2»

Comments

• jehangir
    jehangir Posts: 155 Forumite
    Options
    Eco_Miser wrote: »
    What do you mean by 'not very user friendly'? To me, it does everything I need, and doesn't have annoying distractions like trying to up-sell or make suggestions as to what's hot.

sorry should not have said " not very user friendly " but more very basic looking and as a new investor can be off putting .

With the iweb service if i was to drip feed the money into the account would I charged £5 everytime ?
  • JohnRo
    JohnRo Posts: 2,887 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    jehangir wrote: »
    With the iweb service if i was to drip feed the money into the account would I charged £5 everytime ?

Yes iWeb charge a £5 commission per deal, why would you want to drip feed though with a lump sum ready to invest?
    'We don't need to be smarter than the rest; we need to be more disciplined than the rest.' - WB
  • TrustyOven
    TrustyOven Posts: 746 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    jehangir wrote: »
    sorry should not have said " not very user friendly " but more very basic looking and as a new investor can be off putting .

Sometimes, "basic looking" is an advantage.

It might mean:
    - they spend less of their money on making flashy money and more on making sure that their core business works well and all the time
    - there is less flashy graphs and images and bits of the site to confuse you and distract you and misguide you
    Goals
    Save £12k in 2017 #016 (£4212.06 / £10k) (42.12%)
    Save £12k in 2016 #041 (£4558.28 / £6k) (75.97%)
    Save £12k in 2014 #192 (£4115.62 / £5k) (82.3%)
  • ChopperST
    ChopperST Posts: 1,257 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    If you are only looking at the Lifestrategy funds then open your account direct with vanguard and pay 0.15% Only been using the site for a month and its basic but works well and the customer service line is easy to get hold of and helpful.
  • jehangir
    jehangir Posts: 155 Forumite
    Options
    JohnRo wrote: »
    Yes iWeb charge a £5 commission per deal, why would you want to drip feed though with a lump sum ready to invest?

I thought the best practice according to various threads was to drip feed in installaments rather than a lump sum . Was looking to invest the 20k in 4 installments over the next 2 months into Vanguard 80 .

I am new to investing so have been reading forums and threads but there is alot of conflicting information .
  • JohnRo
    JohnRo Posts: 2,887 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 16 June 2017 at 9:16PM
    Options
    Given that you're investing in a Vanguard fund it seems appropriate that you ought to take their word for it.

http://monevator.com/lump-sum-investing-versus-drip-feeding/

* I also think you should consider the Vanguard platform if holding a Lifestrategy investment, as per above posts.
    'We don't need to be smarter than the rest; we need to be more disciplined than the rest.' - WB
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure