PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Lost my job - lettings not willing to...

Options
124»

Comments

• Pixie5740
    Pixie5740 Posts: 14,515 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    GDB2222 wrote: »
    The point is (and I apologise for not making it clear at the outset) that estate agents are not allowed to charge tenants for finding them a property. It's illegal. If, instead, they dress up these charges as referencing fees, that's illegal, too. There's no case law yet AFAIK.

There's a class action suit being prepared by Casehub at the moment on this very point. Not too late to join if you've been fleeced.

Letting agents should not charge tenants for:

* routine inspections during your tenancy
    * anything they also charge the landlord for
    * It's a criminal offence if a letting agent charges you to register with them or show you a list of properties to rent.

Pretty much everything else is fair game in England & Wales.

* Preparing the TA
    * Collecting references
    * Credit check
    * Right to rent checks
    * Inventories
    * Holding deposits.
  • GDB2222
    GDB2222 Posts: 24,673 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Pixie5740 wrote: »
    Letting agents should not charge tenants for:

* routine inspections during your tenancy
    * anything they also charge the landlord for
    * It's a criminal offence if a letting agent charges you to register with them or show you a list of properties to rent.

Pretty much everything else is fair game in England & Wales.

* Preparing the TA
    * Collecting references
    * Credit check
    * Right to rent checks
    * Inventories
    * Holding deposits.

I agree with everything you say, except that if the charges you refer to as fair game are excessive then they are effectively charges for showing properties to rent. We'll have to see whether the class action progresses, I guess.
    No reliance should be placed on the above! Absolutely none, do you hear?
  • Pixie5740
    Pixie5740 Posts: 14,515 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    I agree with everything you say, except that if the charges you refer to as fair game are excessive then they are effectively charges for showing properties to rent. We'll have to see whether the class action progresses, I guess.

No they're really not.

Tenant wants to rent a property. Tenant finds a property and goes to view it. In other words the letting agency hasn't charged the tenant to show them a list of properties available to rent. The tenant has already viewed properties to rent, most likely online, before even contacting the letting agency.

I don't think your class action has a snowball's chance in hell of succeeding. I guess time will tell.

Shelter did have a campaign to end letting fees in England. Their petition gained enough signatures for it to be discussed in parliament but MPs decided nothing was to be done about the fees. Go figure.
  • dranzer01
    Options
    ViolaLass wrote: »
    Can you not get a guarantor or pay 3 months up front? It would solve the problem.

of course it would solve the problem

the other problem would be, when will i get a next contracting job or even permanent job.... thats the question

(and now ive got my partner who i was meant to be moving in with stressing me saying she cannot afford to lose the £500.....)
  • dranzer01
    Options
    Bogalot wrote: »
    The link applies to those in employment, whereas OP appears to be saying they are a contractor. dranzer can you clarify your employment status please? If you're self employed you've essentially signed away your employment rights for a bit more pay.

i am self employed/contracting
  • dranzer01
    dranzer01 Posts: 427 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    so i have just received an email from the lettings company -

the boss himself ( i think he is) said 'we've been trying to work out a beneficial approach for all parties in this. As your flatmate has secured another tenant, we will be able to refund you the monies you have paid minus the reference fee '£78')

so i should be getting back around £422 by the end of the week.................
  • Guest101
    Guest101 Posts: 15,764 Forumite
    Options
    The point is (and I apologise for not making it clear at the outset) that estate agents are not allowed to charge tenants for finding them a property. It's illegal. If, instead, they dress up these charges as referencing fees, that's illegal, too. There's no case law yet AFAIK.

There's a class action suit being prepared by Casehub at the moment on this very point. Not too late to join if you've been fleeced.

Burning my wallet would atleast provide me with a small amount of heat, supporting this class action ( based upon what you said ) is not even worth that
  • GDB2222
    GDB2222 Posts: 24,673 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    dranzer01 wrote: »
    so i have just received an email from the lettings company -

the boss himself ( i think he is) said 'we've been trying to work out a beneficial approach for all parties in this. As your flatmate has secured another tenant, we will be able to refund you the monies you have paid minus the reference fee '£78')

so i should be getting back around £422 by the end of the week.................

That's very fair. I'm pleased that it all worked out okay for you.
    No reliance should be placed on the above! Absolutely none, do you hear?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure