Is pet insurance really worth it?

Options
Mainly for dogs? A few people I know have pet insurance but every time they have a problem and try to claim there not covered. Do you other dog owners have insurance? Thanks

Is pet insurance worth it? 52 votes

Yes
51% 27 votes
No
48% 25 votes

Comments

• forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,552 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Depends if you get a £3k vet bill i guess?

You need to ask why they were not covered, failed to disclose conditions?

Found out poor little Fido has a list of conditions that will require plenty of visits to the vets and then take out insurance after the fact?

Or took out a cheap policy with a low claim limit?

Self insure?
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• ali-t
    ali-t Posts: 3,815 Forumite
    Options
    I have always insured my dogs for at least the first couple of years of their lives and the prices got to the point they were unsustainable. My old girl became almost uninsurable by the age of 9 as there were so many parts of her that couldn't be claimed on and her age meant the premiums were very high.

When we had my other dog he was insured for the first couple of years but when the cheapest cover I could get (for a rottie who had never been ill) was £50 a month, self insuring seemed a much better option.

Now, I would aim to insure for the 1st 2 years to see if any genetic conditions or weaknesses came to the fore and then would self insure unless the dog was very sickly. It doesn't help when some companies stop doing pet insurance and any policy from a new provider tends to feature exclusions.
    If you always do what you have always done, you will always get what you always got!
  • lee8040
    lee8040 Posts: 554 Forumite
    Options
    ali-t wrote: »
    I have always insured my dogs for at least the first couple of years of their lives and the prices got to the point they were unsustainable. My old girl became almost uninsurable by the age of 9 as there were so many parts of her that couldn't be claimed on and her age meant the premiums were very high.

When we had my other dog he was insured for the first couple of years but when the cheapest cover I could get (for a rottie who had never been ill) was £50 a month, self insuring seemed a much better option.

Now, I would aim to insure for the 1st 2 years to see if any genetic conditions or weaknesses came to the fore and then would self insure unless the dog was very sickly. It doesn't help when some companies stop doing pet insurance and any policy from a new provider tends to feature exclusions.

A relative suggested putting the cost of insurance per month away in a bank and if no problems after a few years should have enough to cover any problems. It's just worrying if there are several problems resulting in high costs
  • ali-t
    ali-t Posts: 3,815 Forumite
    Options
    Yes, I have had a few large bills but make sure I always have a credit card with a big limit available. For me, paying £80 a month for 2 dogs cover (£960 per annum) and having to pay the first £100 to £150 of each claim meant that insurance wasn't worth having.

The final straw for me was having treatment over a 2 month period where my renewal was due so the company took 2 excesses off what they refunded as it was over 2 insurance years even though it was only 1 treatment.

I would have to be very unlucky to have 2 dogs with serious injuries/illness. When my dogs weren't insured I took out 3rd party cover through the dogs trust which from memory cost £10 a year. This covered me for any legal or 3rd party costs if anything happened.
    If you always do what you have always done, you will always get what you always got!
  • RuthnJasper
    RuthnJasper Posts: 4,032 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I work in a vets. I would say that some form of financial protection (whether an insurance policy or money put aside privately) against accident and injury is part of being a responsible pet owner. I work in a vets' practice and it's very hard to see pets which could otherwise have been saved being put to sleep because the owner didn't have insurance or funds.

Depending on the type of pet and cover, some animals can be insured for the monthly price of not much more than a packet of fags.

Alas, it's only really possible to say if it's worth it with the benefit of hindsight - but I would say it is; for peace of mind if anything else, given that a broken leg for a dog can very quickly add up perilously close to the four-figure mark...

Good luck with your pet, whatever you decide.
  • Aretnap
    Aretnap Posts: 5,215 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    lee8040 wrote: »
    A relative suggested putting the cost of insurance per month away in a bank and if no problems after a few years should have enough to cover any problems. It's just worrying if there are several problems resulting in high costs
    And what if the problems occur in the first few years... or it's a really big problem? My partner had a vet's bill for about five grand some years ago when her cat got a thorn in his eye and needed emergency surgery to save his sight. She's now claimed more from pet insurance companies than she's ever paid in premiums... and this will probably remain the case for the rest of her life.

As far as vets bills go you ultimately have to consider (1) could you afford a large bill if you were uninsured and (2) are you prepared to take the risk of having the dog put down if you can't?

The other thing to consider with dogs is third party liabilities. If your dog bites someone you could end up will a bill for a personal injury claim, and if it causes serious injury that bill could be very large indeed. And even a small dog can potentially cause serious injury, eg to a young child. I wouldn't want to be without liability cover, even if I thought I could do without vetinary cover. Yoir home insurance might cover liability related to dogs without the need for separate pet insurance, but this is something you should check.
  • FutureGirl
    FutureGirl Posts: 1,252 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    It is worth it if you get a decent policy. If you pick the cheapest policy around, obviously that will have more exclusions.

Perhaps the people you know had cheap policies if whenever they've claimed the claim has been denied.
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,131 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Only you cn decide if it is worth it for you.

I have had several dogs who weren't insured and rarely visited the vet with no big bills to pay.

I have had three dogs who were insured.

The first cost Petplan more than I paid in premiums to them.

The second I have not made any claims for in 10 years but I consider £25 per month worth it for peace of mind. If premiums get too high I will reconsider.

The third had a cruciate repair costing £3000. I paid £100 of that and insurance paid the rest.

Her current premium is £313 per year so it will take nearly 10 years to break even if she has no more claims. (Since she is 6 that may never happen)
    However, there is a 60% chane that the other leg will rupture in the future so again I consider insurance worth it at the moment.

But my dogs are crossbreeds so premiums are lower than some.

if you can afford an unexpected large bill then maybe insurance is not for you and you could put some money away for bills in the future. But you need to build up a decent sum and £30 a month won't cover it.

If you have limited cash or credit available then what happens if you are faced with the agonising choice of be able to fund a vet bill or pts.

You could insure for a couple or so years while putting money away to build up a fund before stopping the insurance.

Only you know your circumstances.

If you do decide to insure then read the policy document- not the just the policy wording- and pay attention to limitations and exclusions. You need to know exactly what you are buying and then there are no unpleasant surprises.

There are different types of cover

cover for a limited amount/ a limited time per condition.

A set amount per condition until that sum is used up , ven of it is for several years.

Lifetime cover which covers for an amount of vet fees and reistates each year as long as you pay the premiums.

The first is normally the cheapest , the last usually the dearest but premiums and excesses vary from company to company.

Read reviews on the companies before you buy, not after.
  • missbiggles1
    missbiggles1 Posts: 17,481 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I stopped having pet insurance years ago as all their problems were just under the excess. I now have 2/3 dogs and 4 cats so insuring them all just isn't viable and I just put any large bills on the card.
  • Lily-Rose_3
    Options
    I am sorry to be pedantic, but it depends if it's a cat or dog.

If it's a dog, then yes. If it's a cat then no.

We had cat insurance for about 10 years and never claimed on it, because nothing ever cost more than 100 pounds, and the excess was £85.

Spaying, vaccinations, flea drops, worming tablets, and other 'regular' stuff was never included in the pet insurance. And even when one of our cats had an abscess, and had to have an operation and an overnight stay, and anti inflammatories and antibiotics and painkillers, it was STILL only £180. So only £95 over the excess.

We paid £40 a month for our 2 cats, and when the last quote was £53 a month, we decided to cancel it.

2 years on, and 1200 pounds saved later, we have still paid no vet bills for our 2 cats.

Wish we had never bothered getting pet insurance. It's not necessary for cats IMO.

Dogs though.... yes. Dog bills seem to be 3 to 4 times higher.
    Proud to have lost over 3 stone (45 pounds,) in the past year! :j Now a size 14!

You're not singing anymore........ You're not singing any-more! :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport