PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Is it a good time to be a landlord?

Options

Comments

• ThePants999
    ThePants999 Posts: 1,748 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    NoNoDrama wrote: »
    But as an investment houses are as safe as it gets pretty much. Name me a time in history when prices went down and stayed down? They always recover.

Keep your nerve during recessions.
    Stayed down over what time period? Even equities have "always recovered" if you give them long enough.

http://www.macrotrends.net/2598/ftse-100-index-historical-chart-data
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 9 January 2018 at 1:50AM
    Options
    Dorian1958 wrote: »
    If you are not big on risk taking, then I would suggest this is not for you. There are risks all over with this idea; buying an unsuitable property, not understanding your market, assessing whether or not you have the skill set required to manage a property and an agent (who will need to be managed), being able to vet prospective tenants, managing it like a business, and having the mental and financial resources to cope when things don't always go to plan. When things are going ok, money can still be made, MrsDorian and I have 2 outright owned rentals making about 5%after costs but before tax. After another 7 years or so we plan to sell so there might be a bit of capital gain as well (also taxable). A lot for you to think about and not the path to easy riches that some folk think it is.Good luck.

Add to that good advice, that this is the equivalent of putting your entire investment money into the shares of one single company which is very high risk and almost no investor would do that.

You also cannot shelter your gains from tax in the same way that you can through an ISA or a pension,

And lastly government is adding more and more regulation in this area. Regulation = cost and hassle

I can also support the notion that using an agent does not reduce workload, my next door neighbour rented his house out for a few years whilst abroad and any time anything happened they called him to ask what to do, eg washing machine broke, should they call ina repair person or buy a new machine, if ut wasbrepair person then later they’d call him to say quote was £x should they proceed or not, etc etc he might as well have done it all himself.
  • tlc678910
    tlc678910 Posts: 982 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    In many areas houses cost less than 2007. Our house has only now almost recovered it's value after 10+ years.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-41581824

I think it is quite likely prices will dip with Brexit. If they dip and recover similarly to 2007 (another 10 years) our house will have gained no value over 20 years. This is probably unprecedented in history (a twenty year period without house price growth) but not necessarily a bad thing if it helps the next generation afford a home.

I would be wary of buying property as a landlord right now as I don't think it's particularly worthwhile without house price growth. If your property value drops (Brexit?) it can take many years to recover and if you sell in the meantime you lose money. I don't think you need to be as concerned about the same worries if you were buying as a long term home as the value is less relevant - if you move other property is likely affected by the same movements in the market. Price drops can make it difficult to move at all if you are left with no equity of course.

Tlc
  • Toooldforthisagain
    Options
    I have inherited my mum's house and she expressed the wish that I rented it rather than sold, so I have become a landlord by accident
    I am going to go down the full management route as in all honesty its painful to be involved in my childhood home :(
    If you can’t look on the bright side,
    I will sit with you in the dark
  • Pixie5740
    Pixie5740 Posts: 14,515 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    I have inherited my mum's house and she expressed the wish that I rented it rather than sold, so I have become a landlord by accident
    I am going to go down the full management route as in all honesty its painful to be involved in my childhood home :(

How does one "accidentally" become a landlord? Surely it is a conscious decision on your part. If it's too painful to let your childhood home then sell it. It's yours now you can do what you like with it.
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options

It'll be worse if a tenant trashes it.

Never let with sentimental value, it will only lead to heartache
  • Toooldforthisagain
    Options
    My mums wished were that the house is to be rented and not sold, hence the phrase Accidental Lamdlord, I did not go out and purposely buy a house to let out.

I am emotionally involved with the house as it was my home for my whole childhood and my mum lived there for over 40 years. That is why I am letting some one else manage it as I still cant get used to going through the front door and mum not being there
    If you can’t look on the bright side,
    I will sit with you in the dark
  • need_an_answer
    need_an_answer Posts: 2,812 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 9 January 2018 at 1:22PM
    Options
    My mums wished were that the house is to be rented and not sold, hence the phrase Accidental Lamdlord, I did not go out and purposely buy a house to let out.

I am emotionally involved with the house as it was my home for my whole childhood and my mum lived there for over 40 years. That is why I am letting some one else manage it as I still cant get used to going through the front door and mum not being there

5 years ago I was in your position, and understand what you are feeling.
    However you do need to come to terms with the property becoming a rental and start to detach yourself from it.
    Once you rent it out either self managing or via an agent it becomes someone elses home.
    Yes you gain an income from it but unless you take steps to make it work for you in the way you want it to,you wont move on and forward.
    For us it was a renovation of the house,updating to create a living space for someone else and in that process removing some of the old home feel.
    5 years on,I'm not fully detached from it but I do see it in a very different way from the place I grew up.
    I have gone on to invest in other BTL's and buying something that you have no attachment to previously is so much easier.
    I would even suggest that if you want to respect your mum's wishes of her house becoming a rental property,sell it and invest the return into a couple of smaller units that you have no attachment to.It will still give you the income without the sentimental attachment.
    It is quite difficult sometimes respecting someones wishes but also doing your own thing and I often think that maybe previous generations passed things on especially property with the words or sentiment that "you would always have an income from it as a rental". This of course transpires differently now with all the regulations that you need to comply to as a LL. It probably isn't a scenario that was thought about by your mother when she expressed her wishes to you.

Good luck with your venture,I hope you have chosen a good LA who will hopefully match you with tenants who will enjoy your property going forward.
    in S 38 T 2 F 50
    out S 36 T 9 F 24 FF 4

2017-32 2018 -33 2019 -21 2020 -5 2021 -4 2022
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options

The term accidental landlord - implies ineptitude and risk (both to your tenants and to you). Ultimately YOU are responsible for everything. Now normally that's a financial risk, but at the extreme end - should you be negligent and your tenants get injured or die - you could be looking at criminal offences.
  • need_an_answer
    Options
    I can understand the term accidental Landlord a little like a career move you didn't actually choose but took the job to see what happened or to fill a gap whilst you needed money.

Some people end up doing well from the move and enjoy it,others will just put up with it until such time that its time to move on.

Just don't end up stuck with something that really isn't working for you,either as a LL or as a career move!
    That is where regrets can manifest.
    in S 38 T 2 F 50
    out S 36 T 9 F 24 FF 4

2017-32 2018 -33 2019 -21 2020 -5 2021 -4 2022
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business