Dawn Meats

Options
I bought some Premium frozen mince and it's the worst mince I've ever encountered.

I've been cooking for about 45 years. I'd class myself as a good home cook. I cooked this stuff on the hob for about 45 minutes, even adding wine to try and tenderise it. It was still a bit chewy and was full of gristle.

I did some research of the company and found ex employees are very disheartened of the company's practises towards its employees.

Has anyone else come across this product?

No, I'm not after any 'compensation' before the trolls (and there's a few on this site) come marching in. I just wanted some feedback.
“Learn from the mistakes of others. You can never live long enough to make them all yourself.”
― Groucho Marx

Comments

• shaun_from_Africa
    Options
    Have you still got the packaging that the mince came in and if so, can you see any dates on it?
    The only time I've had really bad frozen mince (very chewy and tasteless), it turned out that it had been in the freezer for about 18 months which if far longer than the recommended time.

I didn't suffer any after effects so the extended frozen period obviously didn't cause any problems with food poisoning but it's not something that I would eat again.
  • hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    How do they classify premium mince?
    What was the fat content?
  • pogofish
    pogofish Posts: 10,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    The only way to get "premimum mince" is to choose the cuts of meat yourself then get the butcher to mince it for you at the counter in front of you.

My gran was a pretty good cook - professional before she got her small post office, and she was very particular about her mince - this was her order whenever I went to the butcher for her. See the meat cut, minced and wrapped in front of you, nothing pre-prepared from the slab and never let them take it to the back shop for mincing - No matter how good the butcher was otherwise.

IIRC her typical mince was two-thirds shoulder steak and one third round steak, although it could go to half and half if the shoulder had more fat than usual.
  • pendragon_arther
    Options
    No, unfortunately I chucked the packaging away in a fit of pique, but the fat content wasn't much. I didn't notice the date but the printing of details was done in such a way with light colour printing you had to hold it up in bright sunlight to be able to read it against the background.

It wasn't so much of the chewiness that was offensive it was more that every mouthful contained gristle. I managed to extract their details to email a complaint but I'm not holding my breath to get a response.
    “Learn from the mistakes of others. You can never live long enough to make them all yourself.”
    ― Groucho Marx
  • takman
    takman Posts: 3,876 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Mince is one thing i always get from the local butcher whenever i can. It much better quality than anything i've had from a supermarket and usually chepaer aswell.
  • pendragon_arther
    Options
    takman wrote: »
    Mince is one thing i always get from the local butcher whenever i can. It much better quality than anything i've had from a supermarket and usually chepaer aswell.

I usually do but this was a promotion by a frozen food supermarket on offer for half price. Never again.
    ― Groucho Marx
  • shaun_from_Africa
    Options
    Send an e-mail to the frozen food place concerned and simply state how disappointed you were with the quality of the "premium" mince that you purchased.
    Explain that you no longer have the wrapper but you just wanted to make them aware that there may be a problem with some of their stock. (If it's not a big seller, they may only get an occasional delivery of that particular product).

They may well send you a voucher to compensate you for your purchase.
  • pendragon_arther
    Options
    Send an e-mail to the frozen food place concerned and simply state how disappointed you were with the quality of the "premium" mince that you purchased.
    Explain that you no longer have the wrapper but you just wanted to make them aware that there may be a problem with some of their stock. (If it's not a big seller, they may only get an occasional delivery of that particular product).

They may well send you a voucher to compensate you for your purchase.

I went to their site, filled in a feedback form, gave my details and clicked 'send' but it didn't work. Maybe they've disabled the function due to too many complaints.

I did send an email to their customer services but after all this time have never received a response.
    ― Groucho Marx
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport