Mint Card - Should I Cancel?

Options
Hi - I'm after some advice

I have the following cards
Barclaycard Gold - Credit Limit £11,000
MBNA - Credit Limit £6,500
MINT - Credit Limit £5,500

I earn £18,500 a year and have a balance of £6200 at 0% until January 05 on MBNA which I pay £200 a month off. I intend to apply for an egg card (probably) in December to transfer the balance as I like the anniversary interest free offer. Would you recommend egg or something else?

Also so should I cancel the mint card now to lower the total credit I have access to? Or keep it in case they offer me a special offer.

Cheers Ben ;)

Comments

• Milarky
    Milarky Posts: 6,356 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Why do you need the big Barclaycard limit, if you are not using it either? Barclaycard are unlikely offer you such good deals as other cards. They limit promotional transfers, so your added credit limit can't be used effectively. I would start by phoning Barclaycard to cancel, and see how responsive they are [but not hold my breathe]

Mint is a brand of RBS - who do other cards. Apply for one of those - on the basis of that 'affliate' relationship - and get a similar deal. You can suggest reducing the Mint credit limit once accepted to boost the limit you might then get. i]And there is another way of [url=http://forum.moneysavingexpert.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=Questions;action=display;num=1076487183;start=2#2]making money out of RBS cards[/url] which, AFAIK, is unique to them[/i
    .....under construction.... COVID is a [discontinued] scam
  • DiggingOut
    DiggingOut Posts: 770 Forumite
    Options
    Why are you paying them £200 / month? Isn't the minimum payment £5?

Pay them their £5, and put £195 in savings each month. Let their money earn interest for you as long as you have it interest free from them.

If you get another 0% card with egg or whoever, that's great, transfer it over, make minimum payments to egg and build your savings some more.

If you ever run out of 0% offers, then use your savings to clear as much of the balance as you can -- but why not earn interest on as much as you can until then? ;D
    I have five stars! This doesn't mean that I know anything about any of the things I post. I could be a raving lunatic, or a brilliant genius, or just some guy on the internet. In fact, I could be all three at the same time.

If anything I say makes sense, then do it. If not, don't. Don't blame me or my stars if you do something stupid because I suggested it. I'm responsible for my own stupidity only. You are responsible for yours.

Why, I don't even have five stars anymore! Aren't you glad you aren't responsible for my stupidity?
  • Yorkieds
    Yorkieds Posts: 57 Forumite
    Options
    Totally agree with Digging Out.

Will we ever run out of 0% offers?
  • mclaughlan
    Options
    I've changed my payment to £5 for MBNA and I'm putting £400 a month into a savings account. I'm going to ring barclaycard, and get my limit reduced don't really want to cancel as they are really good for price matching and it has saved me quite a bit in the past. Thanks for the advice :)
  • Suzz_2
    Suzz_2 Posts: 154 Forumite
    Options
    Isn't the min. payment to cards about 2 or 3% or £5, whichever is the greater? Or is MBNA different?

If you have £6200, needing 3% payment, you'd have to pay £186 per month? OK, if the terms allow you can BT it all straight back....

Don't tell me I've been paying more than I need to!!!!
  • sicker
    sicker Posts: 1,370 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Mbna and abbey both only ask for £5 per month, as they both come under the mbna umbrella. Others associated to mbna will probably be the same.

John
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport