PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

THE Prepping thread - a new beginning :)

Options

Comments

• GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    :) Morning all.

pineapple, I have never in my entire life heard/ read of cats spreading disease to livestock. I know cat faeces can be infected with a parasite called toxoplasmosis, which can infect many mammals inc humans, but which is only able to reproduce in cats. Figures of 23% infection with toxoplasmosis are quoted for the USA, up to 95% of the population in some parts of the world.

But spreading disease to livestock? Crazy, farmers have always had cats around the place to keep the vermin down. Traditionally, they might get a saucer of milk or two from the dairy, but they were expected to feed themselves off the vermin and live in the outbuildings, they certainly weren't pets.

One of the best disincentives to vermin is to keep a close supervision of one's stores, perhaps not to keep all of them in one place, and to move swiftly once a problem has been detected. I still grin at the memory from a couple of years ago when Dad and I were hunting a mousie at Nan's bungalow in the teeny outside shed which used to be the outside lavvy. It had been deplumbed decades ago and was used for storage.

Being barely big enough to stand up in for one person, we were moving stuff out and mousie was scarpering from cover to cover. Eventually, Dad shut himself inside with a stick and a pledge that only one of them was coming out alive - Dad 1 vs Mouse 0.:rotfl:

Never would have happened when Nan's cat was alive. The last incumbent of that role, Blackie, was a ferocious hunter even in his latter years. For a cat which can take down stoats, rats, pheasants, rabbits, partridge and squirrels, a mouse is no problem whatsoever.

Oh, and within a week of his passing, the rats were moving into the back garden and being bold as brass. She had to get the pest controller in. Cats are the business when it comes to pest control.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • Jazee
    Jazee Posts: 8,912 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    GreyQueen, thanks for pointing out that cats have a use other than just keeping old ladies company. I was having a rant at one yesterday as I yet again had to clear its muck off my garden, and at that point told it straight that it was good for nothing. Obviously I was wrong.
    Spend less now, work less later.
  • GreyQueen
    Options
    :) Yeah, the poop in the garden is a nuisance but there is a cure; get your own cat and others won't dare do their business in its territory.

I'm always happy to see cats patrolling the lotties which are just over the road from a housing estate. I've been stood talking to a fellow gardener and a cat has been almost at our feet, looking alert. Then one-two-three pounces in different directions as it tracks through cover and up it comes with a rat in its jaws. A rat that we had no idea was lurking less than 6 ft from our feet, btw.:rotfl:

I used to see a mahoosive ginger tom on the estate near a pal's flat. I'm talking a real big bruiser, bull-necked and it'd walk down the pavement swinging its head from left to right looking at everything, inc humans, as if to say you wanna have a go if you think you're hard enough!?

Middle of one winter's evening, pal heard a helluva kerfuffle outside her window and looked out at a spinning ball of squalling ginger fur. In seconds, it resolved itself into the ginger tom and a fox. The fox was losing the fight and broke and ran into the woods with the tom in hot pursuit.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
  • Jazee
    Jazee Posts: 8,912 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Haha, that made me laugh. No chance of getting a cat here - the dogs won't like it and I'm allergic. I have to take anti-histamines to visit my son and MIL.
    Spend less now, work less later.
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    Jazee wrote: »
    GreyQueen, thanks for pointing out that cats have a use other than just keeping old ladies company. I was having a rant at one yesterday as I yet again had to clear its muck off my garden, and at that point told it straight that it was good for nothing. Obviously I was wrong.

I had that from a neighbouring cat here a few times. I knew exactly who the culprit was and used to chase it out of my garden. Thankfully the cat doesnt seem to be around any longer for whatever reason.

It would leave "offerings":cool: very visibly there right on top of my soil. I'm not that au fait with how a cats mind works - but read recently that cats bury their poo if they only intended to poo and the fact it was in your garden was incidental. On the other hand - if they leave the poo there exposed then it means they are deliberately "marking" the ground as being "their territory". The article said that it's basically the more "confident" cats that will do that. Well - that fitted with the way this particular cat would look at me with an expression on its face of "Who does she think she is to try and shoo me out of her garden? - I've decided it's mine" and I'd catch it in my garden again the very next day.
  • pineapple
    pineapple Posts: 6,931 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    GreyQueen wrote: »
    :) Morning all.

pineapple, I have never in my entire life heard/ read of cats spreading disease to livestock. I know cat faeces can be infected with a parasite called toxoplasmosis, which can infect many mammals inc humans, but which is only able to reproduce in cats.
    Well I found this
    http://www.moredun.org.uk/research/practical-animal-health-information/disease-summaries/toxoplasmosis-sheep

And this
    http://www.fawl.co.uk/index.php/farm-animal-health/107-general/16-dog-and-cat-management-and-its-importance-in-livestock-production

Maybe he had a bad experience once and is taking it to extremes. Personally I think the risk from vermin not being controlled is greater than the risk from a cat.
  • pineapple
    Options
    I had that from a neighbouring cat here a few times. I knew exactly who the culprit was and used to chase it out of my garden. Thankfully the cat doesnt seem to be around any longer for whatever reason.
    I was constantly waging war on cats where I used to live. Personally I would like to see something like the Australian Cat act in the UK. The problem is not cats per se but the proliferation in many areas. I used to live in a little hamlet of just 20 households - but there were around 16 cats thanks mainly to one neighbour who had 7 and another who had 5. Next door kept trying to plant nasturtium seeds in an old sink planter and they would climb up to do their business scratting it all up in the process. I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't seen it but I once caught a cat taking a dump in my window box!
    Even worse, the local wildlife was decimated - not just vermin unfortunately but birds - ducklings even. Sorry rant over.
  • GreyQueen
    Options
    :) Very interesting, thanks for those linkies, Pineapple.

My parents run two cats. They're lazy beggars and lie around in the back garden and the birds alight within 2-3 feet of them and both cats ignore them. They're older animals (approx 13) but have had the same laidback attitude for many years.

Wild Thing, the fluffy one, did score a bird last week when it flew into one of the upstairs windows and dropped, either dead or stunned, onto the patio right in front of her. I guess no predator can resist food falling like manna from heaven. :rotfl:

Both cats resisted the helpless almost-fledged bird which was grounded and being tended by its parent, as seen by me when I was over there last Sunday. It died, apparently of natural causes, overnight, and remained uneaten until Dad planted it.

I'm surprised about cats and ducklings, although swans are well-known for killing them. Ducks and swans do not play nicely together and the human habit of feeding wildfowl on rivers/ lakes etc causes them to co-exist where the ducks would naturally give way to the swans. Who retailate by drowning ducklings, something to perhaps consider when taking stale bread down to the river.

As a cyclist and a pedestrian, I see a lot of dead birds in the road and on the verge, struck by cars as they pass, not to mention the roadkill of mammals and even reptiles like snakes and also amphibians. And what you can see is likely to be a fraction of the true slaughter as some of the dead will have flown or run, critically injured, away from the road.

Not to mention the toll magpies take on songbird eggs and nestlings.

:o Perhaps something to consider when blaming the felines for all depredations?
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
  • Shropshirelass
    Options
    There is an article on prepping that may be of interest, in yesterday's Daily Telegraph magazine supplement. (Must say I was surprised to find anything worth reading there.) Anyway, a mixed bag, writer starts with facetious comments, but ends seemingly with the opinion that if rich, successful and intelligent people throughout the world are making plans for when SHTF, there must be something in it.
  • pineapple
    Options
    GQ - the neighbour with the 5 cats was never quite sure what she would find when she got home. She once found a dead weasel underneath the sofa that had been brought in through the cat flap. Ducklings too. She managed to rescue one and put it in the bath before taking it back down to the river :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure