Getting access to medical and legal documents

Options
Bit of a hard one to post so bear with me...

As a child, the eldest of three, I went through some pretty horrific stuff with my younger brothers, and whilst I could/should just let it lie, I can't, and I need to scratch the proverbial itch I've had for a number of years, rekindled by the recent death of my grandfather.

There's two avenues I want to explore but I do not know where to begin.

Firstly, I and one of my brothers were subjected to physical assault by a German lady who was at the time in a relationship with my father and was in the country illegally (and deported rather sharpish afterwards). All 3 children were hospitalised but only two of us had suffered physical trauma.

My question around this is; would records still exist (probably around 1988/89) and if so, how would I begin tracking them down? It would have been Bolton Royal Infirmary (as was) we were admitted to if that helps narrowing down the searches.

Secondly, following that, a court battle ensued in which my grandparents fought to get/keep custody of at least two of the three children (two of us were later made wards of court and lived with our grandparents for many happy years after).

How would I begin to track down the court papers? Could I even get access to these and where do I begin?

Both events must have been documented in quite some detail and would have been overseen by Lancashire County Council Social Services if that's another avenue to follow...

Comments

• silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,968 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    There must be a records department in the hospital an council.

If you are lucky the records may have been digitised even if the originals destroyed.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • iammumtoone
    iammumtoone Posts: 6,377 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I would start by contacting the Social Services and asking them what they have on file. Hopefully their files will direct you to what other places/departments you need to be contacting and might give specific dates as a starting point.

I hope you find some closure, you have a right to know what happened.
  • badmemory
    badmemory Posts: 7,799 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Have you checked to see what records your own doctor holds. A hospital would normally send at least some info to your own doctor. It may help if only to narrow down the dates.
  • DJBenson
    DJBenson Posts: 445 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I've moved several times since then, would these records follow me?
  • TonyMMM
    TonyMMM Posts: 3,382 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Your medical records follow you each time you change GP (or at least they should)..... start there.
  • DJBenson
    Options
    I've just spoken to the records lady at my GP and she has asked me to put the request in writing so I've filled out an SAR form from the ICO website. Will see what that brings back.

I messaged the hospital trust on Facebook and they also advised to send in an SAR as they will have records from the old hospital.
  • Ames
    Ames Posts: 18,459 Forumite
    Options
    Don't forget there'll be a charge from each of them of up to £50.
    Unless I say otherwise 'you' means the general you not you specifically.
  • DJBenson
    Options
    That's fine - I need to know what happened so I can begin the process of getting some closure on all this.
  • mumps
    mumps Posts: 6,285 Forumite
    Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    I don't understand about her being here illegally in 1988. As an EU citizen wouldn't she have had a right to be here or am I mixing something up.
    Sell £1500

2831.00/£1500
  • DJBenson
    edited 6 March 2017 at 1:35PM
    Options
    mumps wrote: »
    I don't understand about her being here illegally in 1988. As an EU citizen wouldn't she have had a right to be here or am I mixing something up.

She was wanted in her home country. I am very unclear on the ins and outs of the woman in question apart from her beating me and my two younger brothers, but perhaps the Social Services records may have something on this.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure