MSE News: Tesco to replace 5p single-use bags with 10p bags for life

Options
Former_MSE_Ben_S
Former_MSE_Ben_S Posts: 39 Forumite
edited 7 August 2017 at 3:35PM in Food shopping & groceries
Tesco will stop selling 5p single-use plastic bags on Monday 28 August, replacing them with 10p bags for life...
Read the full story:
'Tesco to replace 5p single-use bags with 10p bags for life'
OfficialStamp.gif
Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Comments

• spanglish
    spanglish Posts: 577 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    But when you do forget your own bags, doesn't everyone use the 5p bags as bin liners afterwards. Surely the 10p bags are more wasteful as they are too good for rubbish and are just as likely to be forgotten next time
    best wins to date-£500, 48 theme park tickets, Holiday to Italy+£250, Venus makeover package, laptops, pro-audio gear, £500 B&Q, £1500 Gucci bag, £1000 Maplin
  • jon81uk
    jon81uk Posts: 3,779 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    spanglish wrote: »
    But when you do forget your own bags, doesn't everyone use the 5p bags as bin liners afterwards. Surely the 10p bags are more wasteful as they are too good for rubbish and are just as likely to be forgotten next time

My bin is about 5 times bigger than a carrier bag so I use black bin bags for it.Therefore on the rare occasion I don't have a reusable bag with me the single use ones go in the cupboard just in case I need a bag for something. But the cupboard is getting quite full!
  • System
    System Posts: 178,101 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I work in retail and we get customers that have never brought in their own bags. If they were £1 each, they still not bother to bring their own bags
  • I_luv_cats
    I_luv_cats Posts: 14,441 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options

Daily scoops of the kitty litter also requires a carrier bag (along with waste paper basket and small bins etc.) as pedal bin liners are too thin.

Something weird as Tesco instore bags are thick yet the delivery ones are thin.
  • A._Badger
    A._Badger Posts: 5,853 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I wonder if anyone has been keeping score of the millions of sales of bin liners that have taken place since this began? Better still, accurate figures for the square footage of high density polyethylene and PVC being produced and sold?
  • spanglish
    spanglish Posts: 577 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    jon81uk wrote: »
    My bin is about 5 times bigger than a carrier bag so I use black bin bags for it.

We have small bins in every room and line them all with carrier bags for ease of emptying. Since they started charging we never have enough
    best wins to date-£500, 48 theme park tickets, Holiday to Italy+£250, Venus makeover package, laptops, pro-audio gear, £500 B&Q, £1500 Gucci bag, £1000 Maplin
  • VoucherMan
    VoucherMan Posts: 2,771 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    But when you do forget your own bags,

What do you do when you forget to take money with you?

Maybe I'm just too organised, but If I'm going shopping all have equal importance - what I want, what I'm going to pay with, and what I'm going to carry it in.
  • vikingaero
    vikingaero Posts: 10,920 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Tesco will also lose more baskets and trolleys as the chav (working class chavs, middle class class and upper class chavs) will refuse to pay the 10p on their childish principles.
    The man without a signature.
  • jimbo747
    jimbo747 Posts: 630 Forumite
    Options
    The Sainsbury's 5p bags are much better, as are the m&s ones. If going to coop or Tesco I only bother with the 10p ones, and I'm one of the people above who keeps forgetting to bring their own or use them as bin bags.
  • Norman_Castle
    Norman_Castle Posts: 11,871 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited 8 August 2017 at 9:39AM
    Options
    doesn't everyone use the 5p bags as bin liners afterwards.

No. Never have done.
    We have small bins in every room and line them all with carrier bags for ease of emptying. Since they started charging we never have enough

Do they all need liners? How often do you put wet or dirty rubbish in a living room bin? If supermarkets had never offered free plastic bags its unlikely you would have started lining every bin in the house with a bag. You habitually lined every bin because they were free and you had an abundance of them.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure