Letter to cancel Housing Benefit - advice needed

Options

Comments

• peter999
    peter999 Posts: 7,097 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hoddie wrote:
    It's true, you cannot withdraw a claim unless you can prove you are no longer entitled. That said, it seems to be only Tax Credits where they actually uphold this (I assume because the system is 100% automatic and they'd have to enter incorrect/false information in order to stop a live claim).
    What are you talking about ??

STOP = ??
    WITHDRAW = ??

Many people don't claim benefits they are entitled to.
    People cannot claim benefits until they submit & START claim.
    Claims are not generally backdated.

Anyone can decide they want to STOP their claim for whatever reasons.
    Does not mean they are withdrawing their claim up to that point.

If someone decides they want to STOP claiming HB/JSA, that's their choice.
    They may be entitled to claim, but they have had enough !!

peter999
  • real1314
    real1314 Posts: 4,432 Forumite
    Options
    Peter, there seems to be little point to this now. Perhaps you should go to the,library and look at the Shelter Guide? The 2003-04 edition shows this at para 5.51.

The full title is "Guide to Housing Benefit and Council Tax Benefit" and as stated previously the authors are Zebedee, Ward and Lister.

I also find your tone somewhat offensive, describing my advice as "nonsense" and being apparently "baffled" at the "wrong" advice I have given. Unfortunately for you my advice is correct and backed up, whereas yours is not.

Perhaps in the future you will treat other MSE'rs with a bit more respect and courtesy?

This is the end of my contribution to this thread.
  • msmicawber
    msmicawber Posts: 1,962 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Hmm, this seems to have descended into a sniping session. There may not be a specific regulation concerning claimants who are entitled to benefit, but who no longer wish to receive it e.g. in the way that Regulation 74 allows for a claimant to withdraw their application before it is decided, however, I know from my own experience that it is possible.

I gave a reason for wishing to cease my claim because I assumed I would be asked otherwise. A pro forma letter was sent to me with 'Claim cancelled: claimant request' in the 'Reason for calculation' box. This indicated to me that there was a list of reasons for stopping a claim available to the offficer processing the claim of which 'claimant request' was one. Specific regulation or not, this seems to be catered for.

I had the same problems as Vyvyan, and asked about an average income being worked out over a specific period and was told that the regulations didn't allow for this.

Vyvyan: why don't you just give your reasons as: difficulty of budgeting on a fluctuating low income, and hope of increasing your income. That way, you're both telling the truth and leaving yourself open to re-apply, if you should ever wish to.
    Debt at highest: £6,290.72 (14.2.1999)
    Debt free success date: 14.8.2006 :j
  • vyvyan_2
    Options
    My revised letter now contains a chunk of msmicawber's post! :beer: Adding that I would now prefer to be independent and discontinue my claim. I expect this to be effective from the date on this letter.

I'll let you all know the outcome/reply when I have it.

Thanks for all input.

V xx
  • Hoddie_2
    Hoddie_2 Posts: 622 Forumite
    Options
    peter999 wrote:
    What are you talking about ??

STOP = ??
    WITHDRAW = ??

Many people don't claim benefits they are entitled to.
    People cannot claim benefits until they submit & START claim.
    Claims are not generally backdated.

Anyone can decide they want to STOP their claim for whatever reasons.
    Does not mean they are withdrawing their claim up to that point.

If someone decides they want to STOP claiming HB/JSA, that's their choice.
    They may be entitled to claim, but they have had enough !!

peter999

Tell you what, call the Tax Credit office and say you wish your claim to finish. They'll politely tell you that it isn't possible. The same technically applies to other benefits but they will normally accept your request.
    Quidco savings: £499.49 tracked, £494.35 paid.
  • peter999
    peter999 Posts: 7,097 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hoddie wrote:
    The same technically applies to other benefits but they will normally accept your request.
    So the claim rolls on like a runaway train, without any say from the claimant !!
    So can a claimant ever stop their claim ??

Again I apologise, but I think you are talking nonsense.

My OTT comments are about claimants having rights & not being pushed around by benefit staff or advice gurus.

peter999
  • Hoddie_2
    Hoddie_2 Posts: 622 Forumite
    Options
    No, this is how it should happen... the claimant would inform the relevant office of any change in circumstances, when the claimant is no longer entitled to the benefit, it will cease automatically. Like I said, try ringing the Tax Credit office to end your claim (if you have tax credits).
    Quidco savings: £499.49 tracked, £494.35 paid.
  • Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    vyvyan wrote:
    I'm going to write to cancel my Housing Benefit but I don't want to give a reason. Is it acceptable to just write:

Dear sirs HB ref; xxxxxxx
    I'm writing to cancel my claim for Housing Benefit.
    Yours faithfulluy, vyvyan

Between you and me I'm fed up with the system, to the point where I've been pushed close to the edge too many times. My HB is worth about £30 a week and although finding the extra is going to be very tough I would rather do this on my own. I've done my sums and the budget is going to be tighter than a blah blah, I think the peace of mind is more valuable.

Do I say due to a change in my personal circumstances....(not true btw)?

Dear sirs, on yer bike, love and kisses vyvyan?

I like my first version but is it too brief?

I think that your letter should say something about the stress that the system causes you. And make sure that you send a copy of your letter to an elected councillor.
  • bengarton
    Options
    real1314 is right. Theoretically a claim can only stop when you cease to become entitled(i.e. income too high, capital exceeds limits).
  • seven-day-weekend
    Options
    bengarton wrote:
    real1314 is right. Theoretically a claim can only stop when you cease to become entitled(i.e. income too high, capital exceeds limits).

So you can't just say you no longer wish to claim?
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
    Member #10 of £2 savers club
    Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure