We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Planting out Begonias

Options
I am sort of a amatuer at this gardening lark.Last year i got some begonia medium plugs from gardening direct i planted them out into small potts but i have no greenhouse so kept them inside until ready to plant out into the garden.The problem was they seemed to go spindly so what i want to no is were is the best and how to keep begonias until planting out without a greenhouse and what to feed them on .:beer:
Nice to save.

Comments

• arbrighton
    arbrighton Posts: 2,011 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    What do you mean by 'spindly'? Could be pots are too small, could be lack of light, lack of water.

It is probably still to early to put bedding plants out as we're probably going to have a few more frosts. And they will need hardening off anyway. This means that you put them outside in the day but bring them back in at night when it will be colder for a while.
  • wallbash
    wallbash Posts: 17,775 Forumite
    Options
    What sort of begonia's, I keep my corms/ bulbs in the garage in a box. Then repot and wait til they spout.
    On my 4th year with the same ones.
  • peter_the_piper
    Options
    If no greenhouse the best advice is to wait till frost is gone. We are all too impatient.
    I'd rather be an Optimist and be proved wrong than a Pessimist and be proved right.
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Nellybee wrote: »
    I am sort of a amatuer at this gardening lark.Last year i got some begonia medium plugs from gardening direct i planted them out into small potts but i have no greenhouse so kept them inside until ready to plant out into the garden.

The problem was they seemed to go spindly so what i want to no is were is the best and how to keep begonias until planting out without a greenhouse and what to feed them on .:beer:

Don't start them off so early. If you haven't got a frost-free greenhouse, you need to be patient and hold back with the young plants and seed sowing.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure