Real or Fake CCTV Camera?

Options
We have a large passage heading down the side of our house. It leads to a side door. We keep the bins and a water butt there - nothing of importance.
The area we live in is nice-ish but it's on the outside of a not-that-great area.

The passage is about 2/3m wide by about 6m long. A while ago, I was certain I heard someone on the stones of our drive way, which also continue down the passage. Couldn't see anyone.

Last night at about 2am, woke to someone chatting. Looked out the window and it appeared someone had been coming from the passage, stood in front of our house for about 5 seconds, then walked off.

I thought maybe he had stopped for a wee - not nice but I'd rather that than checking our side door or looking through the windows (into the living room).

So...

had a quick look on Amazon. Real CCTV camera (x4, night vision, 600+ reviews, 4.5 stars) = £159. Fake camera (with working led light) is £6 odd.

I can't really afford a full blown system - or rather haven't worked the expense into a budget. I guess there are cheaper ones but then I have the added hassle of running cables through walls and into recorders and such.

Thought in the long run we could get a tall fence + gate to block that area off a little more. I'd then be more inclined to utilise the area more (I need to buy a tall ladder but it'd have to be locked to the side of the house - I'd not do that at the moment).

Should I just get a real system anyway just in case?
It would have been interesting to see what he was doing.

Comments

• Norman_Castle
    Norman_Castle Posts: 11,871 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Spend the money on a gate and a padlock for the ladders.
  • WobblyDog
    WobblyDog Posts: 512 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If you don't already have one, installing a small motion-activated LED security light would be a cheaper and less stress-inducing first step. Ideally is should be mounted in a position that makes it hard to tamper with.
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    Tall fence and gate

and motion-activated LED light.
  • I_have_spoken
    I_have_spoken Posts: 5,051 Forumite
    edited 19 August 2017 at 11:36AM
    Options
    PIR light, plus boost the security of the side door too; if it's wooden install rack bolts inside top and bottom and hinge bolts on the jamb side to resist kicking.
  • hammy1988
    hammy1988 Posts: 145 Forumite
    Options
    Bought a CCTV system for outside our house (after five different vandalism happenings on our cars) Damage to the cars totalled around £500 with excesses and repairs... CCTV cost about £250, hubby installed it (easy enough) since then...no vandalism at all.

Do the maths, CCTV saves you money in the long run, as well as peace of mind.

Security lights etc are also a good idea also.
  • BargainGalore
    Options
    I have a passage running along side of garage to rear of house. I bought a strong garden gate and two posts which I fastened withs secure bolts to side of garage and adjoing wall. The gate has a keyed lock in it and also a bolt. I also keep a long set of ladders attached to wall with ladder brackets which are locked. I have a lot of tools kept in back in a workshop. I do also have cctv purely for my car arked outside
  • longwalks1
    longwalks1 Posts: 3,737 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Anyone will spot a dummy cctv a mile off, so may not be any detterant at all. Was always told CCTV is only of use after the crimes happened. Like others have said better locks/padlock and chain for ladder etc, small LED security light. We couldnt decide between CCTV and an alarm when we moved, decided on a alarm to get someone ot run off as soon as it triggers, rather than trying to identify some little @$"!% with his hoody up and gloves on after they've done something wrong.
  • Wassa123
    Wassa123 Posts: 393 Forumite
    Options
    We went for CCTV.

Guess the kids didn't see it as they vandalised our car.
    Police identified them and made them fork over the cash so it's practically paid for itself.

No trouble since.
  • anotheruser
    anotheruser Posts: 3,485 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    We don't have a ladder as yet, like I said, we'd get one and use locks and such of we had a gate.
    Maybe I'll get a slightly cheaper system and thus it won't seem that bad.
  • Strider590
    Strider590 Posts: 11,874 Forumite
    Options
    My "real" cctv camera cost under £30 and it's an IP camera with very good image quality.
    Granted I do have a home server which runs CCTV software and does all the detection/recording.
    “I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a** of yourself.”

<><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><> Don't forget to like and subscribe \/ \/ \/
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure