LED light bulbs

Options

Comments

• Martyn1981
    Martyn1981 Posts: 14,787 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    elstimpo wrote: »
    You will not still be using those lamps in 2030. Lifespan claims are usually completely false. Power supplies are not going to last 20 years, it's ridiculous to suggest they will and some companies out there really are misleading their customers with LED lifespan of 50,000 hours etc

Top quality LED's are not getting cheaper at an 'amazing' pace, whats getting cheaper is the cheaper stuff as everyone is in a race to the bottom on price (and quality).

I can see a lot of LED companies facing legal action in the future when their products suddenyl start failing en mass.

We fitted 7 GU10 LED's in the kitchen in 2011. One died after about 5 months, and we should have taken it back under the warranty, but couldn't be bothered. The rest are going strong. I've got loads of CFL's that have done 10yrs.

Might some of those LED's still be in use in 2030, probably a good chance.

I also agree with Ben over price, you can now get E27 and B22's for £1.50 or so, even less. So it's possible to replace all of the commonly used bulbs in the house for £15, saving the cost back in about 6 months for those who object to CFL's.

In fact LED's v's CFL's probably save another £5 or so pa, so like me, just swop to LED's as and when and keep the old CFL's for the bathroom.

Anyone holding out for a better LED, whilst using an incandescent is being rather silly. Buy a cheap LED, save the cost in 6 months, then buy a 'better' one when (if) it fails.
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW). Two A2A units for cleaner heating.

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • almillar
    almillar Posts: 8,621 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    you can now get E27 and B22's for £1.50 or so, even less. So it's possible to replace all of the commonly used bulbs in the house for £15, saving the cost back in about 6 months for those who object to CFL's.

What lumens do they put out? What colour temperature are they? What is their CRI?
    I bet they put out nothing like the quality of light of the incadescent or CFL bulbs they're 'replacing'.
  • Martyn1981
    Options
    almillar wrote: »
    What lumens do they put out? What colour temperature are they? What is their CRI?
    I bet they put out nothing like the quality of light of the incadescent or CFL bulbs they're 'replacing'.

Why bother betting, why not go and try some, Screwfix, B&Q, Home Bargains etc.
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW). Two A2A units for cleaner heating.

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • elstimpo
    elstimpo Posts: 426 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Martyn1981 wrote: »
    We fitted 7 GU10 LED's in the kitchen in 2011. One died after about 5 months, and we should have taken it back under the warranty, but couldn't be bothered. The rest are going strong. I've got loads of CFL's that have done 10yrs.

Might some of those LED's still be in use in 2030, probably a good chance.

I also agree with Ben over price, you can now get E27 and B22's for £1.50 or so, even less. So it's possible to replace all of the commonly used bulbs in the house for £15, saving the cost back in about 6 months for those who object to CFL's.

In fact LED's v's CFL's probably save another £5 or so pa, so like me, just swop to LED's as and when and keep the old CFL's for the bathroom.

Anyone holding out for a better LED, whilst using an incandescent is being rather silly. Buy a cheap LED, save the cost in 6 months, then buy a 'better' one when (if) it fails.

100% they will not be working in 2030 and they wuill have failed well before that. That comes from 14 years studying and developing LED drivers / power supplies and resistors.

Cheap LEDs are just that, cheap. Incredibly poor perfoming, made of the cheapest materials known to man, no heat disipation, crap power supplies with resistors that are worthless and manufactured by people who don't care one little bit what they are making or selling.
  • elstimpo
    elstimpo Posts: 426 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Martyn1981 wrote: »

None of them can match the quality of light of an incandescent or halogen. No bets needed, its fact, they cannot.

It's do wioth CRI / TM30 or CQS
  • lstar337
    lstar337 Posts: 3,442 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 21 February 2017 at 6:19PM
    Options
    None of them can match the quality of light of an incandescent or halogen. No bets needed, its fact, they cannot.

It's do wioth CRI / TM30 or CQS
    I fully understand what you are saying elstimpo, and I agree to a degree, but most people simply do not care about CRI.

They didn't know or care about it when they had incandescent lights, they didn't know or care about it when they had CFL's, they don't know or care about it now they have LED's, and they probably wont know or care about it when the next lighting technology comes along either.

I understand that a lot of situations require specific lighting conditions, but Joe Bloggs isn't worried about the CRI of the light in his downstairs bog, he's worried about what it cost him.

That said, I am not Joe Bloggs and most of my bulbs cost me just under a tenner each. The one in my lounge cost £60, but it's a Lifx bulb so I can get virtually any colour and brightness I want out of it. ;)

Still, I bought all mine when I had money. I wouldn't buy the same ones again, too pricey!
  • Martyn1981
    Options
    100% they will not be working in 2030 and they wuill have failed well before that. That comes from 14 years studying and developing LED drivers / power supplies and resistors.

Cheap LEDs are just that, cheap. Incredibly poor perfoming, made of the cheapest materials known to man, no heat disipation, crap power supplies with resistors that are worthless and manufactured by people who don't care one little bit what they are making or selling.

!00% they will cost less to buy across their lifetime than an incandescent, CFL, or halogen to buy.

100% they will cost far, far, far, far less to run for any given period than an incandescent, CFL, or halogen.

Mine work great, I'm yet to be concerned about the CRI, at all - perhaps that's a failing of mine, and I'm simply incapable of 'seeing' how poor they are.

Still, if you don't like them, then all the more for the rest of us.

This is reminding me somewhat of all the negativity towards CFL's when I was buying them for about £7 each 20yrs ago. Saved me a fortune, worked well, no problems.

With specific regard to halogen's, they should now be banned completely due to their exceptionally high energy consumption and waste.

• almillar
    almillar Posts: 8,621 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options

I've already seen plenty of cheap, rubbish LEDs thanks. I was asking for your personal experience, and what bulbs exactly you had bought. The LEDs in Home Bargains, for example, are junk. IMO.
    all the negativity towards CFL's when I was buying them for about £7 each 20yrs ago. Saved me a fortune, worked well, no problems.

...Apart from the mercury content.

Please do go ahead an ban halogen bulb, Martyn, but first, would you mind providing a link to one of these magical £1.50 lights that can actually put out the same amout of LIGHT (that's what you're paying for, remember) as a 100W halogen?

I've got plenty of LEDs around my house, as well as CFLs. And ONE halogen.
  • pinnks
    pinnks Posts: 1,277 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Interesting discussion. I have a variety of LEDs. The best I have are from TP24.com in terms of colour temp, intensity and so on. Not quite £1.50, more like £4 but excellent
  • Martyn1981
    edited 1 May 2017 at 7:43AM
    Options
    almillar wrote: »
    To tidy up this thread I'm going to delete my posts/arguments with you. I'll just the leave the last as a summary.

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure