Painting new plaster

Options
Hi all,

My whole house has been plastered, finished about a week ago, but started 3 weeks ago (2 week job). I've started painting with mist costs but we have patches and corners where the paint just won't stick. There are some slightly orange/pink darker patches that I guess may not be fully dry. I'm wondering if the orange darker patches are just areas that haven't fully dried out or if it's just some inconsistency in the plaster itself or the amount of polishing it's had.
It's only a skin so shouldn't take a long time to dry.

Also, when sanding these areas the paint seems to stick. Can't stand the whole house though...
Thanks in advanced

Comments

• Jenniefour
    Jenniefour Posts: 1,393 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Let it all dry out properly. It's normal for corners to take a bit longer and some patches. That might be why those areas are more orange.

Are you saying you're sanding plaster? If so, why? The finish on the top skim should be good enough to decorate when it's dry.
  • TheCyclingProgrammer
    Options
    A skim coat doesn't take too long to dry out - it can be dry in a week in warm weather.

If it isn't 100% dry that shouldn't cause the paint to not adhere properly and if you're mist coating with a contract matt emulsion - which is breathable - it will continue to dry anyway.

Its more likely to be over-polished spots - give these spots a light sand with a fine grit sandpaper and give another mist coat (you can just spot coat these). Don't got overboard with the sanding. You just want to take enough of the shine off to stop the paint slipping. It's the only way to solve it so hopefully your plasterer hasn't left you with too many over-polished spots.

After the first mist coat it is worth taking a good look over the walls for any plaster snots - a quick wipe with a piece of sandpaper will take these off. Also use this opportunity to fill and sand any noticeable imperfections before doing your final coats.
  • sooty&sweep
    sooty&sweep Posts: 1,316 Forumite
    Options
    Hi

Have you primed the new plaster ?

I think you're supposed to paint it with watered down paint or pva glue but I'm no expert.

If you don't the paint may not stick.

Cheers Jen
  • TheCyclingProgrammer
    Options
    Hi

Have you primed the new plaster ?

I think you're supposed to paint it with watered down paint or pva glue but I'm no expert.

If you don't the paint may not stick.

Cheers Jen

OP did say that they have mist coated (this is priming with watered down paint). PVA should go nowhere near new plaster or anything that you want to paint.
  • hammy1988
    hammy1988 Posts: 145 Forumite
    Options
    Unless all the walls are the same pale light orangey colour...do not attempt to paint them, patches mean damp parts!

When they are all the same colour and very pale, it means it is dry.

The first coat is 50% water 50% plain white emulsion, that's it. To make it easier, empty out half a can of the paint, and then top up the can to the top with water and give it a good stir, that's your 50% done there and then, then do a coat, dry and another coat, then bam, the canvas is yours and blank to work/decorate with :)
  • TheCyclingProgrammer
    Options
    50/50 seems too weak to me.

I wouldn't bother messing around with diluting paint. Get Screwfix bare plaster paint and slap it on. It does a great job.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure