Charities board update
Please note, our Forum rules no longer allow the posting of links to personal fundraising or crowdfunding pages, such as JustGiving. You can read the full set of our Forum rules here.

Fundraising prizes

Options
Hello!

Im fundraising for a local hospice and have a massive target to reach, as well as doing collections and sponsored things I'm also planning a charity night for March and was going to do a raffle in between with the raffle tickets where by you can have the prizes printed on the ticket in booked of like 20 and give them to friends and family to sell for you. In order to do the raffle I'm going to need at least 3 decent prizes as will be printed what they are onto the tickets, will also require prizes for the raffle at the charity night.

Does anyone have any ideas of companies that are generous with giving items or tickets etc or companies that can offer a discount on their products as I don't mind paying for prizes (within reason) myself.

I have a letter etc that I can show the companies to prove I'm authorised to fundraise for the charity and not doing anything dodgy lol.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• kingfisherblue
    Options
    Have you checked with your local council whether you need a licence? I'm not certain of the legalities, but I believe that raffle tickets sold prior to an event will need a licence. Somebody more knowledgeable than me will be able to confirm or deny this.

As for prizes, local firms are usually your best option. National companies often have their own chosen charities. In addition, they receive numerous requests for prizes, so the changes of you being successful are probably not very high. You might be better with a dozen relatively decent prizes than just three high ticket prizes, and are more likely to be able to secure these. Think about meals in local restaurants, vouchers for a good hairdresser, spa, or similar. Maybe a local estate agent could donate a hamper. Local tradespeople might be able to give a few hours cleaning, gardening, or ironing. Garden centres for plants, bakery for a cake, stables for a few riding lessons, etc.

Some larger companies allow the manager the authority to donate items up to a specific amount, so it can be worth asking shops. Ten years ago, I was able to get a CD player up to the value of £30 from Currys (which was their limit at the time - I managed to get one that was half price in the sale. This was for Brownies rather than a raffle though).
  • Lettyspaghetti
    Options
    I wasn't made aware of having to ask for a license when I got my fundraising pack I was told id only need to inform the council or ask for permission if I was can collecting in public.

I will try all those suggestions you have given though! Thanks very much I appreciate it. Need all the help and suggestions I can get :)
  • Pips_Mum
    Pips_Mum Posts: 2,893 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I think you are supposed to have a licence for a raffle as it's classed as gambling unfortnately,
    I've always found Silverstone racetrack to be very generous in donating prizes, they donated weekend tickets to the touring car championship for last charity raffle I was involved in.
    Good Luck!
    Debt at LBM [strike]£17,544[/strike] :eek: £5700
    :TOver £14,000 PAID OFF :T

2020 the year of less - Less debt, less waste, less spending, less stuff, less stress!
  • Pips_Mum
    Pips_Mum Posts: 2,893 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Another good one we did was a Bollywood evening at the local indian restaurant. They charged us a set menu price and we charged a higher ticket price for the night, great night and raised lots too so maybe worth seeing if any of the ones near you would do the same.
    Debt at LBM [strike]£17,544[/strike] :eek: £5700
    :TOver £14,000 PAID OFF :T

2020 the year of less - Less debt, less waste, less spending, less stuff, less stress!
  • Seanymph
    Seanymph Posts: 2,874 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Any venue that does tickets usually is good for free tickets, family passes for swimming, that sort of thing.

Restuarants often do gift vouchers for meals.

privately run shops often do gift vouchers.
  • Lettyspaghetti
    Options
    Just checked this for the first time in a while! Thank you for the suggestions I will try them all as the fundraising is still ongoing lol
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure