IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Re parking charge notice from PCP Enforcement Agency

Options
I have tried to research the issue below but remain confused as to whether or not we can ignore this? My wife has received a parking charge notice from PCP Enforcement Agency for £100 served on 2 February 2017 in respect of an expired pay and display ticket on 14 December at between 9.08 and 9.25 in the morning. I was rushed into A&E hospital around 4am that morning having suffered a stroke. I was treated for around 5 and a half hours before being allowed home. My wife was repeatedly returning to her car outside A&E to update her ticket and she may have slightly overrun, but it is so long ago she has no tickets now to confirm this or otherwise. Can we ignore this?

Comments

• pogofish
    pogofish Posts: 10,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 14 February 2017 at 1:04PM
    Options
    Ignoring has not been a good idea since the law changed back in 2012!

The Newbies Sticky at the top of this forum is where you need to be concentrating your research - its the most effective and up to date resource on the various ways to deal with private tickets.

However, as this is a hospital ticket - a strong complaint to PALS at the host concerned would be your first and probably most effective approach. :)
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Options
    pogofish wrote: »

......However, as this is a hospital ticket - a strong complaint to PATAS at the host concerned would be your first and probably most effective approach. :)
    Has autocorrect/predictive come in on this post?

Shoud be PALS (not "PATAS") and hospital (not "host")????
  • pogofish
    pogofish Posts: 10,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Quentin wrote: »
    Has autocorrect/predictive come in on this post?

Shoud be PALS (not "PATAS") and hospital (not "host")????

Probably - I'm on a Mac today and its autocorrect is maddening for substitutions..! :o

Thanks. :)
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,730 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    quinwin wrote: »
    I have tried to research the issue below but remain confused as to whether or not we can ignore this? ... received a parking charge notice from PCP Enforcement Agency for £100 served on 2 February 2017 in respect of an expired pay and display ticket...

I was rushed into A&E hospital around 4am that morning having suffered a stroke. I was treated for around 5 and a half hours before being allowed home.

(the driver) was repeatedly returning to her car outside A&E to update her ticket and she may have slightly overrun, but it is so long ago she has no tickets now to confirm this or otherwise. Can we ignore this?
    Please read the NEWBIES thread for the registered keeper to appeal, not saying who was driving. And the first thing it says is always to complain - certainly complain to PALS and/or the Facilities/Parking Manager in the Hospital and get this rescinded immediately.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • PJdylis1
    Options
    We encountered PCP Enforcement Agency and their inflexible aggressive no compromise style. On the 23/3/17 my wife (with terminal ovarian cancer) was rushed to QA Portsmouth by my daughter, put in a wheelchair and taken to acute oncology. It was a life or death situation (my wife's consultant confirmed this in a supporting appeal letter). In the panic my daughter inadvertently parked slightly overlapping a second parking bay and received a fine. I appealed this on her behalf and now the fine is £100.00. Despite explaining our situation there was absolutely no compassion or understanding from PCP. This is an incredibly stressful time and I find it incredulous that despite the support of my wife's oncologist and detailed explanation by ourselves there is no compromise on the part of PCP. I really feel there needs to be a degree of common sense instilled into PCPs management style. I contacted the hospital CEO and if my daughter hadn't felt under pressure to pay the fine I think we might have had it waived through QA's links with PCP. A few days later my wife passed away aged 58. The fine is almost immaterial in the overall scheme of things, it is PCP's lack of compassion and understanding that sticks in my throat.
  • Umkomaas
    Umkomaas Posts: 41,354 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    What a shocking story, and my condolences on your sad loss PJdylis1. This totally sums up the blind greed of parking companies and their uncompromising approach to hoovering up money, regardless of any circumstances.

Have you paid the £100? If not, why not start a new thread of your own (just copy and paste the post you've written above) and we will help you. Have you tried the hospital's Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) as they should, and should be able to, sort this out for you).

You should immediately contact your local press about this appalling treatment by the PPC - they would love to run this type of story. Additionally write to your MP, Teresa May (who is on record as wanting to sort out this private parking mess) and Marcus Jones MP who heads up the DCLG and who has policy responsibility for private parking and is sitting on, prevaricating about what to do with it, despite having the results of a public consultation conducted over 2 years ago.

I hope we can help you.
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
  • trisontana
    trisontana Posts: 9,472 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    edited 11 April 2017 at 9:05AM
    Options
    Note the name of this company "PCP Enforcement Agency" . Do you think they are trying to fool people into thinking they are some sort of government department, instead of a tin-pot parking company?
    What part of "A whop bop-a-lu a whop bam boo" don't you understand?
  • DollyDee_2
    DollyDee_2 Posts: 765 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    PJdylis1 wrote: »
    We encountered PCP Enforcement Agency and their inflexible aggressive no compromise style. On the 23/3/17 my wife (with terminal ovarian cancer) was rushed to QA Portsmouth by my daughter, put in a wheelchair and taken to acute oncology. It was a life or death situation (my wife's consultant confirmed this in a supporting appeal letter). In the panic my daughter inadvertently parked slightly overlapping a second parking bay and received a fine. I appealed this on her behalf and now the fine is £100.00. Despite explaining our situation there was absolutely no compassion or understanding from PCP. This is an incredibly stressful time and I find it incredulous that despite the support of my wife's oncologist and detailed explanation by ourselves there is no compromise on the part of PCP. I really feel there needs to be a degree of common sense instilled into PCPs management style. I contacted the hospital CEO and if my daughter hadn't felt under pressure to pay the fine I think we might have had it waived through QA's links with PCP. A few days later my wife passed away aged 58. The fine is almost immaterial in the overall scheme of things, it is PCP's lack of compassion and understanding that sticks in my throat.

I think the "fine" has been paid.

PJdylis1 - I am so sorry for your loss and very angry on your behalf.
  • Half_way
    Half_way Posts: 7,054 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    three op should contact the hospital and demand a refund.
    Unfortunately due to the nature of hospitals, this Indy the first time something similar has happened, so if the OP is up for it then they could try as make sure that it dusty happen to any one else.
    This would also make a good story for the press, make sure that you name the hospital CEO as being the responsible person, and not the parking company, as per the NHS parking principles, you could also put in an FOI request on, odds on the parking arrangement breaches the nhs parking principles as the parking company probably keeps revenue from issuing parking charge notices
    From the Plain Language Commission:

"The BPA has surely become one of the most socially dangerous organisations in the UK"
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,730 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    PJdylis1 wrote: »
    We encountered PCP Enforcement Agency and their inflexible aggressive no compromise style. On the 23/3/17 my wife (with terminal ovarian cancer) was rushed to QA Portsmouth by my daughter, put in a wheelchair and taken to acute oncology. It was a life or death situation (my wife's consultant confirmed this in a supporting appeal letter). In the panic my daughter inadvertently parked slightly overlapping a second parking bay and received a fine. I appealed this on her behalf and now the fine is £100.00. Despite explaining our situation there was absolutely no compassion or understanding from PCP.

This is an incredibly stressful time and I find it incredulous that despite the support of my wife's oncologist and detailed explanation by ourselves there is no compromise on the part of PCP. I really feel there needs to be a degree of common sense instilled into PCPs management style.

I contacted the hospital CEO and if my daughter hadn't felt under pressure to pay the fine I think we might have had it waived through QA's links with PCP. A few days later my wife passed away aged 58. The fine is almost immaterial in the overall scheme of things, it is PCP's lack of compassion and understanding that sticks in my throat.
    I am so very sorry to read about this harassment at a time when your wife was terminally ill in Hospital. And astonished the CEO of the NHS Trust didn't insist on a refund because that's against the NHS Car parking policy set by Government.

Do you feel up to sending this account to your MP and the Dept Communities & Local Government and the Secretary of State for Transport, as a complaint about these firms in Hospitals? This should not be happening but Andrew Jones made it clear his head was in the sand in Parliament the other week:

https://hansard.parliament.uk/commons/2017-03-21/debates/382789C8-0168-4C4B-8260-0540AF83C7D3/DVLAAndPrivateCarParkingCompanies

http://parking-prankster.blogspot.co.uk/2017/03/parliament-discuss-unfair-parking.html

Let's get the Under Secretary of State's head out from the sand or wherever he has inserted it, re these cowboys.

:)
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure