loyalty card Q's

Options
hey all :)
so as you can probably tell i'm new to all of this money saving
after being a lurker for a while i've decided to join up here as i really like it

anyhow I'm joining some loyalty cards and just have a few questions im hoping a few pros here can help me with.

1. I am joining up to tesco clubcard dos anyone know of any promo codes for when you join up
2. what cards do you personally recommend that i join up to and which ones should i just not bother with.

thanks all :)

Comments

• no1catman
    no1catman Posts: 2,972 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options

1. I am joining up to tesco clubcard dos anyone know of any promo codes for when you join up
    2. what cards do you personally recommend that i join up to and which ones should i just not bother with.

1) No, there're aren't any just for joining. Once upon a time, 150 points were given away with new cards, but that stopped at least a couple of years ago.
    2) Depends on where you shop, and who is nearer e.g. I get Nectar points from Sainsbury & Homebase.
    I used to work for Tesco - now retired - speciality Clubcard
  • The_Last_Username
    Options
    The loyalty cards which will work for YOU may not be the same one(s) that work for ME.

Example?
    I LOVE the Nectar card. ;)
    I get points at Sainsburys; I get points on my ( and the whole family's ;)) Sainsburys Mobile; I get points buying on eBay; Points at Homebase; and .......... if I spend up to half an hour a go a few times a week on the 'puter doing a survey or two at Nectar Canvass, I get (a good few) points from that too.
    When it comes time to spend these points, Nectar & Sainsburys do the occasional "double points" thing OR you have online offers etc. OR you can spend 'em at Argos! :D
    Down side?
    Well, you have to use your card in the Sainsburys you want to redeem your Nectar points on. You could (like me) have access to only a small Sainsburys. Also Sainsburys just reduced the number of points per £ you receive.

As above though, that may not suit you.
  • Jimmay12345
    Options
    Awesome guys thanks :)
  • Clowance
    Clowance Posts: 1,843 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    another thing regards nectar: you get points on expedia purchases of hotels - but not until about a month after your stay.
    With tesco you can convert clubcard points to virgin airmiles and I think avios airmiles.
  • 20aday
    20aday Posts: 2,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    Clowance wrote: »
    another thing regards nectar: you get points on expedia purchases of hotels - but not until about a month after your stay.
    With tesco you can convert clubcard points to virgin airmiles and I think avios airmiles.

That's correct re: Avios. You can log into the Clubcard section of the website and purposely chose to 'save' the vouchers towards Virgin Airmiles/Avios if you so wish.

Saving my Clubcard vouchers back as part of the Christmas Savers scheme at Tesco halved my Mum's shopping bill last December.

I've also a fair few points on my Boots Advantage Card and Nectar Card; if you shop somewhere regularly then it's worth signing up to any schemes they might have OP.
    It's not your credit score that counts, it's your credit history. Any replies are my own personal opinion and not a representation of my employer.
  • 20aday
    20aday Posts: 2,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    The loyalty cards which will work for YOU may not be the same one(s) that work for ME.

Example?
    I LOVE the Nectar card. ;)
    I get points at Sainsburys; I get points on my ( and the whole family's ;)) Sainsburys Mobile; I get points buying on eBay; Points at Homebase; and .......... if I spend up to half an hour a go a few times a week on the 'puter doing a survey or two at Nectar Canvass, I get (a good few) points from that too.
    When it comes time to spend these points, Nectar & Sainsburys do the occasional "double points" thing OR you have online offers etc. OR you can spend 'em at Argos! :D
    Down side?
    Well, you have to use your card in the Sainsburys you want to redeem your Nectar points on. You could (like me) have access to only a small Sainsburys. Also Sainsburys just reduced the number of points per £ you receive.

As above though, that may not suit you.

Have you stumbled across the Sainsbury's My Coupons website yet? I've managed to accrue a few more points that way too. Not all of the items listed I wish to buy but have had some great 'Double' points and 5 x points on a £40 spend.
    It's not your credit score that counts, it's your credit history. Any replies are my own personal opinion and not a representation of my employer.
  • jon81uk
    jon81uk Posts: 3,773 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I regularly use both Clubcard and Nectar (although we shop in Tesco slightly more), does no harm to be a member of both, get a few quid back. Also have Boots Advantage card. Superdrug isn't so great though.

myWaitrose is also worth joining, a free coffee everytime you shop!
  • m_i
    m_i Posts: 199 Forumite
    Options
    Nectar - you also receive till spits that offer money off e.g £2.25 off if you spend more than £15.

Tesco - I Collect Avios points

Waitrose - free coffee and paper when I spend £2.50 daily (I buy the daily mail and have joined the reward scheme)

John Lewis - free coffee and cake about 5 times a year and various other offers

Paperchase - click below for list of offers:

https://www.paperchase.co.uk/treat-me/customer_account/login/

Superdrugs - 1 point for every £ spent and other offers such as 50 points if you buy ... And triple point days

Boots: 4 points for every £ spent and various other offers as well - specially good over Xmas

Harrods - an extra 10% off sale during various weekends of the year - they email you

Lots of department stores offer cards - Liberty's, House of Fraser, Harvey Nicks

Also it is useful to sign up for newsletters online and receive various offers this way e.g Fenwicks has a handbag tombola offering up to 50% off handbags depending on how lucky you are a couple of times a year.
    Nice to save.
  • ALIBOBSY
    ALIBOBSY Posts: 4,527 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    edited 26 July 2015 at 3:28PM
    Options
    I pretty much have them all just in case lol. I tend to shop around alot to get the best bargains.

I do like the Waitrose card for the free coffee each day-so can grab when going past, and if you spend £5 you can have a free paper as well. Just recently they have also started a new "favorites" thing where you can pick 10 favorite items (out of over 1000 items-many of which are basics like mince and chickens). You then get 20% off those items AS WELL AS any other offers. So if yellow sticked or on 3 for £10 and the like you get the 20% as well.

I am stocked up on chickens as they are on 3 for £10 and you get the 20% off the full price of the individual birds then the discount for the offer so it ends up about £2.40 a chicken. I find the meat to be better quality in waitrose so with the offers can stock up. Couldn't afford a full weekly shop there, but some good offers if you work it right.

Ali x

NB OH has a separate card for himself so we both get a free coffee and between us have 20 items on 20% off :)
    "Overthinking every little thing
    Acknowledge the bell you cant unring"

• jenniewb
    jenniewb Posts: 12,836 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Why not just sign up for them all, there's no thing as loyalty when it comes to the consumer/retail world- shops and brands themselves offer you little loyalty when you witness better offers for new signees time and time over. Just go for all the loyalty cards on offer, don't go out of your way though; loyalty offers are a perk but never enough to sway you one way or the other.

The best loyalty offer is probably Boots which effectively offers 4% back onto your card (and up to 12% if you shop during a special points event). If you think about it when shopping, would you buy it (and often pay the extra) when you consider getting back 12%? Be aware that much of the time if you shop around many things can be bought elsewhere with a greater discount (eg Savers often have 1/3 off items sold in Boots) You need to way up what is more important to you; time and perks or actual discounts.

Similarly, places like Tesco (1% paid back) and Nectar (0.5% or is it now 0.25% paid back) for their loyalty cards. Think through your shopping, take off the 1% or whatever and weigh it up with shops elsewhere such as prices at greengrocers, Lidl or Aldi or wherever else you could easily get to and decide again if money and time is a better saving than travel and extra effort in shopping across several stores to get the best price. You do get random vouchers for loyalty cards but they are hard to predict and often only valid where products in question are cheaper elsewhere.

I've got a loyalty card for wherever I shop. My wallet is too full- not full of cash but full to bursting of loyalty cards! I never turn down an offer but I don't ever let it decide where I shop because it wont ever make a decent saving to let a loyalty card rule my purchase if I break my savings down into percentages off or back to compare like for like and then actual discounts across the brands.

Although a free tea or coffee is always nice (if I do manage to find a Waitrose which offers soya milk with the free tea/coffee)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure