Vetstudent buys a house!

Options
Hi, Ive been reading your diaries for a while on here, and can finally start my own! I'm 24 and almost a veterinary doctor, and a entrepreneur with an online business too. I have just bought a 3 bed house as a renovation project with my fiance, who's also self employed. So budgeting is difficult as each month varies hugely for us!

We are yet to make the first mortgage payment, and I'm unsure yet if we will overpay or save what we can, as the mortgage is 1.59% but it would be nice to get the figure down! First DD due on the 20th, with a mortgage end date of Jan 2043 :eek:

All savings currently going into the renovation, kitchen ordered yesterday, shower coming tomorrow, basin on Friday, and thankfully we have a working toilet in a separate room already as we havent ordered the bathroom toilet or bath yet!

The whole place needs a lot of work, we are expecting to spend around £12,500 more on it, though less would be great! We have done most of the rewiring and plumbing, ripped down most of the ceilings, and the bedroom ceiling has gone back up and been finished, but everywhere else needs plasterboarding. I have become a builder the last 2 weeks,and have learnt a lot, helping my dad do the work!

Anyway now sure what else to put for now, but it will be nice to have somewhere to write things, and record how we are getting on. Hopefully the house will be liveable soon, as I am off back to university tonight, and will be back at Easter to see how my dad and fiance are doing :D
Mortgage start date 19 January 2018, end Jan 2043.
Owed £38,000/£38,000

Comments

• Tropically
    Options
    Welcome!! Congratulations on buying a house and on soon becoming a vet!!
    Mortgage started at £318,000 in June 2016. Original MF - 2041 :eek:
    2nd Property Mortgage at £275,000. Mortgage free: 2049 :eek:
    Total OPs: £29529
  • newgirly
    newgirly Posts: 8,942 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Hi and welcome :)
    2022 MFW 67 - 33 month challenge to clear mortgage, month 17 completed and and extra 2 knocked off 🙂MFI3 No.12
  • LadyGnome
    LadyGnome Posts: 801 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hello and best of luck
    MortgageStart Nov 2012 £310,000
    Oct 2022 £143,277.74
    Reduction £166,722.26
    OriginalEnd Sept 2034 / Current official end Apr 2032 (but I have a cunning plan...)
    2022 MFW #78 £10200/£12000
    MFiT-6 #28 £21,772 /£75000
  • vetstudent
    Options
    Thank you, had a NSD today :) But the shower never arrived (though last night they text to say the delivery was today) and the company cant give me any info as the delivery office is shut after 5pm and I called at 10 past!
    Owed £38,000/£38,000
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,290 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Happy new diary :)
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • vetstudent
    Options
    Not such a NSD day today, bought a few bits for the dog, and a £120 part for the car :( I hope that this is the last thing the car needs, only had it serviced 2 weeks ago and had a few problems recently! The boot wont open, and I hope that the garage sort that while it's in, without costing too much!

My business is incredibly slow at the moment, want Christmas sales to hurry up and come around again, Nov and Dec were lovely! But I have caught up with some survey sites tonight, after spending the day at uni with the pigs. Pigs arent my favourite but it was a good day. Tomorrow is cats and dogs, more fun!

House wise the shower didnt get delivered today again, now they say Thursday as it wasnt put on the lorry. Wondering if this is a case for compensation, as we had everyone ready to plumb it in today which was a waste of time. However the !!!!!! ceiling is down, and they have finished running the wiring through for the shed. Another hole drilled in the very thick stone wall! This house loves breaking drill bits!
    Owed £38,000/£38,000
  • newgirly
    newgirly Posts: 8,942 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I guess you had a pig of a day then! Sorry :rotfl: :rotfl:
    2022 MFW 67 - 33 month challenge to clear mortgage, month 17 completed and and extra 2 knocked off 🙂MFI3 No.12
  • vetstudent
    Options
    Lol! I wonder why the word par-lor is blocked out in my last message!
    Owed £38,000/£38,000
  • vetstudent
    Options
    Just looking at doing an SOA, but our incomes are variable, and currently all bills that can be paid yearly have been. So the task is to save up some money in an account to pay insurances etc when they come around again.
    Owed £38,000/£38,000
  • Helen_wilson_2
    Options
    It sure looks like your on the right track. Best of luck on your studies and congrats on your new house!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure