Experian and Electoral Roll

Options
keiran
keiran Posts: 739 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary
edited 25 February 2018 at 5:59PM in Credit file & ratings
I wonder if any experts on MSE have any thoughts on this issue?

Every year without exception at the annual upload (about February-time) Experian fails to upload my address onto the system. I then have to do work in getting this rectified with them.

Experian claims variously that this happens because :-
- my address has many parts (flat name and building number, street number and name, as well as city and postcode),
- the Council provides the info in the "wrong format" (as though the Council has to comply with Experian!) and
- (bizarrely) the Council does not supply a date of birth with the address details!

Equifax and Callcredit never have a problem uploading my address correctly. The Council informs me that "all credit reference agencies receive the same data file exported by its software and so any discrepancies would be introduced by the credit reference agency reformatting the data prior to importing it into their own software system".

Experian tells me every year that they are upgrading their systems and so the address-uploading problem won't happen next year - but it always does. This has happened for 10 years.

Experian's failures cause me extra work in rectifying the issue with it, and in providing documentary ID (or even failing) with new account applications. My having to deal with Experian Customer Services is like having teeth extracted without anaesthesia (with staff who know less of the issues than I do) and I detest every second of this interaction.

In recent years Experian has started to give me £100 compensation. I have never taken the matter onwards to the FOS or the Information Commissioner. I think the FOS wouldn't get involved in Experian's processes and wouldn't award more than £100 compensation. I think the IC wouldn't award any compensation and seems to be a useless incompetent authority, as Experian well knows. I additionally wouldn't want to do all the work of making my case to either/both parties unless I had faith that there would be improvement and adequate restitution.

I detest CRAs holding confidential, sensitive and privileged information about me, but if they must, then I want them to treat that data with the utmost care and accuracy. Experian causes me to be apoplectic with rage - luckily I am not a violent man (yet).

I should add that I have no other problems with my credit report/s. One difficulty I have noted in raising any issue about credit reports is the tendency of others to assume that one's been a "bad boy" (defaults, late payments, etc) and that this then colours their reaction/response to the valid issues one raises.

Comments

• Debt_suvivor
    Options
    Speak to ICO hun. It sounds like a data protection act issue. If personal information held about you is incorrect or out of date, it could lead to you being unfairly refused credit. Since it sounds like you have raised this issue so many times with them it needs flagging
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure