PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Old sweat stains on mattress - Help!!

My partner sweats rather a lot in bed, and in spite of a mattress protector and another sheet, plus the usual fitted bottom sheet there are large and unsightly stains on the mattress.

I am at a loss as to how to deal with this and remove them without damaging the mattress or making it "look" like I've tried to clean them off.

And when we do buy another one, how to prevent this from happening again!

Any tried and tested ideas?
:wave:

Comments

• Stevie_Palimo
    Stevie_Palimo Posts: 3,306 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Leave it with the bag on or look for a plastic type of fitted sheet like they use in hospitals.
  • missbiggles1
    missbiggles1 Posts: 17,481 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Are the stains affecting the functioning of the mattress or do they smell?
  • noonesperfect
    noonesperfect Posts: 1,831 Forumite
    Are the stains affecting the functioning of the mattress or do they smell?

Erm......I haven't sniffed! They just look gross.

As we're planning to get a replacement mattress these stains are GOING TO BE SEEN by some poor member of the public.
    Whether it is to be collected by the bringer of a new mattress or the council (in which case the neighbours too), I don't yet know.

Right now buying a really cheap superking duvet cover and trying to enclose the blessed thing first seems the best option before it leaves the bedroom.....
  • pigpen
    pigpen Posts: 40,982 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post

As we're planning to get a replacement mattress these stains are GOING TO BE SEEN by some poor member of the public.
    Whether it is to be collected by the bringer of a new mattress or the council (in which case the neighbours too), I don't yet know.

I sneaked my old one into a skip across the road in the dead of night so avoid this shame.. ours was very old and really gross.. blood stains, sweat, drinks and urine (from children not me!) .. it was just vile.

Naughty but effective :)
    LB moment 10/06 Debt Free date 6/6/14
    Hope to be debt free until the day I die
    Mortgage-free Wannabee (05/08/30)
    6/6/14 £72,454.65 (5.65% int.)
    08/12/2023 £33602.00 (4.81% int.)
  • missbiggles1
    missbiggles1 Posts: 17,481 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker

Right now buying a really cheap superking duvet cover and trying to enclose the blessed thing first seems the best option before it leaves the bedroom.....

IME, everybody's mattress has stains - I wouldn't worry about it.
  • noonesperfect
    noonesperfect Posts: 1,831 Forumite
    IME, everybody's mattress has stains - I wouldn't worry about it.

Perhaps I am being a bit precious, I don't know.....

If/when I need to do something about covering the mattress I have found just the thing on a well known internet website. ;)

It can be completely encased in blue towelling "protector" for a reasonable sum. I didn't think such things were made for KS beds. Happy bunny now. Thanks for your help.
  • Alienna
    Alienna Posts: 68 Forumite
    I had an unfortunate incident with a slight 'incontinence issue' when I was suffering from a chest infection a few years ago.

I used a steamer to clean the mattress - worked a treat! :j

If you're only throwing it away, I really wouldn't bother though. I'm sure there's worse in landfill!:rotfl:
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,684 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Leave it with the bag on or look for a plastic type of fitted sheet like they use in hospitals.

Not if you want to get a night's sleep ever again.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • peachyprice
    peachyprice Posts: 22,346 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post

Just leave the old mattress protector on it when you dispose of it then treat yourself to a nice new one.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
  • Nicki
    Nicki Posts: 8,166 Forumite
    When I've bought a new mattress and asked for the shop to take the old one away on delivery they've always given me a large plastic bag to put the old one in.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure