Setting up a craft group

Options
Coxy11
Coxy11 Posts: 4,876 Forumite
Homepage Hero Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
Hi,
Some friends and I want to set up a monthly craft group (sewing, knitting, crochet etc.). Does anyone have any tips? We have found a possible venue, but two hours hire will be around £25. We will charge subs to cover room hire and tea etc. so would hope to break even.
TIA
Coxy
Cross-stitch WIP: Durene Jones Haberdashery Shop 365 1p challenge member No.6 Read 24 books in 2024 - currently reading Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn 12/24

Comments

• retiredandskint
    Options
    Have you looked at holding them in your local library? We hold a Knit and Natter and Card Making group weekly in ours. We can get tea, coffee and biscuits for 50p. They have just started doing hot chocolate with squirty cream.

It does mean that it's opened to the general public but a great way to meet new friends.
  • Ilona
    Ilona Posts: 2,449 Forumite
    Options
    I go to a weekly Chat and Craft Group on a Monday morning 10 till 12, in our village hall. Not sure how much the rent is, but we get 8 - 14 people attending, we pay £1 per session. Including coffee and biscuits. It's been going three years now.

When it started posters were put into shop windows to advertise it. We all do our own thing, anyone wanting to try a new craft will get help from others. We bring our makes to show.

Our library in town has a Knit and Natter as well, as mentioned. Look at other venues, £25 seems a bit steep.

Ilona
    I love skip diving.
    :D
  • Coxy11
    Options
    Thank you both for your replies. I've only just heard back from the lettings secretary and we can have the room for free if we make a regular donation to the church. We launch in September and I'm really excited Yay!
    Cross-stitch WIP: Durene Jones Haberdashery Shop 365 1p challenge member No.6 Read 24 books in 2024 - currently reading Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn 12/24
  • Ilona
    Options
    Well done. That gives you time to tell all your friends and make a list of potential members, choose a day, and set a charge. We pay £1 a week for a two hour session, the club in the next village charges £2 a week. Good luck.
    Ilona
    I love skip diving.
  • meg72
    meg72 Posts: 5,164 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Coxy11 wrote: »
    Hi,
    Some friends and I want to set up a monthly craft group (sewing, knitting, crochet etc.). Does anyone have any tips? We have found a possible venue, but two hours hire will be around £25. We will charge subs to cover room hire and tea etc. so would hope to break even.
    TIA
    Coxy

I was also looking to set up a craft club but was horrified at the hire cost was. I approached our local church to see if they were cheaper and was delighted to be offered shared space with their own knit and natter group free of charge in return for sharing resources makes etc.
    Slimming World at target
  • Luna68
    Luna68 Posts: 17 Forumite
    Options
    Great idea hope goes well
    Luna
    x
  • Coxy11
    Options
    Update time!
    Our club started last night. 13 attendees aged from 8 to 71! A range of crafts including felting, knitting and crochet. So happy ��
    Coxy
  • Ilona
    Options
    Coxy11 wrote: »
    Update time!
    Our club started last night. 13 attendees aged from 8 to 71! A range of crafts including felting, knitting and crochet. So happy ��
    Coxy

That's a great start, well done. Our craft group has been going over three years, we get between 9 and 13 attending every Monday.

Ilona
    I love skip diving.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills