PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Renting from an overseas landlord

Options
Hi guys,

I'm in discussion with a chap who claims to live in Denmark but owns a property in Exeter that he is looking to rent out. He hasn't yet given me the full address, and the photos look almost too good to be true. Now i have read a bit about people claiming to live overseas asking for money to be transferred in advance of viewing, but this guy has not asked this.

He has said as proof i have money available I need to arrange for a friend / family member to pay money into a MoneyGram cash pickup service, and after I sign the tenancy agreement we go and pick up the cash. I'm a little hesitant, i don't get why i can't just have the cash in hand.

As he won't tell me the exact address I cannot check land registry, I can't find any information online regarding the chap as he is overseas (allegedly), so I am feeling like this may be a scam.

What are your thoughts, have you heard of people doing this before legit?

Comments

• Wyndham
    Wyndham Posts: 2,440 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Run away. Run away fast.

Anyone who asks for any sort of money transfer before you've even seen the place is up to no good.

Why pay out money before you've even seen it?
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You haven't seen the house - why are you even discussing money...
  • greendoor665
    Options
    Sounds like a scam to me. A proper landlord wouldn't ask you to use MoneyGram. Also if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.
  • 00ec25
    00ec25 Posts: 9,123 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 29 November 2017 at 12:16PM
    Options
    He has said as proof i have money available I need to arrange for a friend / family member to pay money into a MoneyGram cash pickup service, and after I sign the tenancy agreement we go and pick up the cash. I'm a little hesitant, i don't get why i can't just have the cash in hand.
    SPRINT, don't run, don't walk, AWAY

that is a classic part of exactly the scam you are thinking of

no legitimate LL ever has any reason whatsoever to ask for money via such an arrangement.

(and BTW, if you do ever have to deal with a legitimate overseas LL make sure he has given you written proof he is registered with HMRC under the "non resident landlord scheme" otherwise you are legally liable for paying over 20% of the rent direct to HMRC yourself as "his" tax deduction. If you don't make such a payment for an unregistered LL then HMRC can chase you for the tax instead of him)
  • Woodburygooner
    Options
    Yeah I am thinking that, it just seems odd that he doesn't want me to transfer money to him but to me.
  • Woodburygooner
    Options
    I'm not though, that's my point - he wants to see a receipt that shows i have the money in the MoneyGram account, then, when I have viewed the flat and signed the paperwork we go get the money.

I agree it sounds dodgy but to be clear I would not part with any money until I've seen it!!
  • aneary
    aneary Posts: 921 Forumite
    Options
    What happens is you send the proof of the transfer which will have a transfer number.

He walks into money gram in Nigeria and withdraws the money using the transfer number.

There was a piece on this sort of thing a few years back on Rip off Britain, I'm guessing you saw the add on gumtree?
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I'm not though, that's my point - he wants to see a receipt that shows i have the money in the MoneyGram account, then, when I have viewed the flat and signed the paperwork we go get the money.

I agree it sounds dodgy but to be clear I would not part with any money until I've seen it!!

Why would you not just transfer it after the viewing.......
  • Woodburygooner
    Options
    aneary wrote: »
    What happens is you send the proof of the transfer which will have a transfer number.

He walks into money gram in Nigeria and withdraws the money using the transfer number.

There was a piece on this sort of thing a few years back on Rip off Britain, I'm guessing you saw the add on gumtree?

Yeah i did as it goes.

Thanks everyone, I will give it a wide berth, appreciate your input.
  • LEJC
    LEJC Posts: 9,618 Forumite
    Options
    How were you put in contact with this LL....via a LA,private add,friends and family....???
    frugal October...£41.82 of £40 food shopping spend for the 2 of us!

2017 toiletries challenge 179 out 145 in ...£18.64 spend
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport