PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Lost job shortly before exchange

Options

Comments

• Guest101
    Guest101 Posts: 15,764 Forumite
    Options
    I am absolutely against any form of fraud.

However, you say that your partner has informed the mortgage company that he will be giving up his job in your current location, and getting a new job in your new location.

Clearly this 'giving up' has been (unexpectedly) involuntary, and has happened a few weeks before it was planned. But apart from that, it seems to be exactly what you have already told the mortgage company will happen.

So I really don't think this could possibly be classified as fraud?

not telling them before completion would be though.

The plan could be (and is likely to be given its 500 miles with child and all possessions and FTB) that completion would happen and the move would follow on there after.
  • mortgagepanic
    Options
    Ah ok Guest thanks for clarifying.
  • tomtontom
    tomtontom Posts: 7,929 Forumite
    Options
    tomton - one property came on the market and we fought off several other buyers and ended up offering over the valuation price to secure it, we also had the advantage of a mutual friend of the vendor. We were incredibly lucky.
    There is a serious shortage. That might not be your experience of the housing market where you are, but in this area it is a fact.
    Why would I be here if I though it was ok?

Would you still be contemplating going ahead with it if you didn't think it was ok?

Have you called your solicitor yet? ;)
  • mortgagepanic
    Options
    I have to go out now - in case it looks like I'm ignoring any further replies!
  • ellie27
    ellie27 Posts: 1,097 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Your financial position does not seem secure enough at all to proceed with the mortgage.

You are recently self-employed and are just part-time and your partner has lost his job.

Good luck
  • BusyBargainz
    BusyBargainz Posts: 199 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    I’ve skim read this thread as I was recently in a similar position and was under decision of redundancy. I was told when I found out my outcome I would have 3 weeks notice and if we hadn’t completed by then I would need to inform the lender who were likely to subsequently withdraw the mortgage offer.

I was like you, I wanted to risk it. I said to myself if we exchanged in that 3 weeks I wouldn’t tell them, but if I didn’t then I’d have to fess up.

My job thankfully is safe and I am not being made redundant but guess what.. I have been randomly chose for an employment check and my employer has had to confirm I work there. So it can happen, please think really carefully about what you are doing.
  • mortgagepanic
    Options
    Thanks Ellie, had my partner not got a new job we certainly wouldn't consider it. I appreciate new jobs come with uncertainty, but we thought his previous job was secure and after 1 year 11 months it transpires it was not - so the new job doesn't seem much less secure.

Busy - thanks - can I ask, had your employer already provided a written reference at the time of applying ie. were they asked for a 2nd one when you were checked? Glad it worked out ok for you.
  • fashionvictim
    Options
    Guest101 wrote: »
    I'm not sure if your employer was stupid or what, but if under 2 years service the employer can terminate the employment for any, non protected, reason.

For example: "Due to business needs"

Yes of course they CAN but as my employer was a major company they were perfectly reasonable as they wanted to reduce the payroll and re-strucuture. Yes under 2 years service you do not have many rights, but doesn't mean you you just lay down and take it.

If OP's partner was dismissed for doing something wrong, that would mean it would be different situation. However there is no need to horrible Guest101. I really hope you don't find yourself in a difficult situation needing advice soon.
  • tomtontom
    tomtontom Posts: 7,929 Forumite
    Options
    Yes of course they CAN but as my employer was a major company they were perfectly reasonable as they wanted to reduce the payroll and re-strucuture. Yes under 2 years service you do not have many rights, but doesn't mean you you just lay down and take it.

If OP's partner was dismissed for doing something wrong, that would mean it would be different situation. However there is no need to horrible Guest101. I really hope you don't find yourself in a difficult situation needing advice soon.

It's better to give accurate advice than inaccurate that gives false hope.

Although in this case the OP is choosing to ignore the good advice and commit fraud. :(
  • mortgagepanic
    Options
    tomton, as I said in my post at 12.18pm today

I am still taking all the responses on board. I haven't 100% made my mind up

I am acknowledging all contributions to this thread and appreciate all of the input.

(I didn't take any false hope from the employment advice, we have already consulted ACAS on that matter)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure