Different redundancy rules for different staff.

Options
Organisation with 5 departments started a re-structure 16 months ago. My department (HR based) was held back to be re-structured while the other 4 went through the process. Reason stated was that we had to implement the changes so it was better if we were stable whilst doing so. (Seemed fair!)
The staff in the first 4 had the option of voluntary redundancy at any stage if they were, for example, moving jobs before the final re-structure plans were in place. The organisation was slightly embarrassed when so many left resulting in vacant positions which then had to be filled by normal recruitment. One department has taken 9 months to reach complement.
Now it's our turn and the organisation have stated that we cannot have that option. Doesn't seem fair? Is that allowed?

Comments

• getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    Organisation with 5 departments started a re-structure 16 months ago. My department (HR based) was held back to be re-structured while the other 4 went through the process. Reason stated was that we had to implement the changes so it was better if we were stable whilst doing so. (Seemed fair!)
    The staff in the first 4 had the option of voluntary redundancy at any stage if they were, for example, moving jobs before the final re-structure plans were in place. The organisation was slightly embarrassed when so many left resulting in vacant positions which then had to be filled by normal recruitment. One department has taken 9 months to reach complement.
    Now it's our turn and the organisation have stated that we cannot have that option. Doesn't seem fair? Is that allowed?

Where were the HR team pointing out that only let as many go to hit targets and only let those go you want to leave, be be careful the better people might still leave etc.

they have learnt their lesson to be more selective and careful about the people they let go, does not have to be fair and it is allowed.

I was restructuring the HR department after the mess there would be no need for a VR program.
  • tommytynan123
    tommytynan123 Posts: 482 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks. Ok if it's fair and allowed then onwards. I don't think they expected so many would walk before the re-structure was complete. (I've got an interview Tuesday ;))
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure