PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

What options for my mother-in-law ?

Options
Hi ,

My mother in law is looking to buy a house a bit nearer us that has come on market recently. She owns her current house but will have to move quickly to secure house. The sale of her house should cover the new one. What are her options ? I was thinking bridging loan but that may be expensive option. I can help out financially if that is an option also . Just trying to find out best / least expensive way for her to move. Anyone been through this before?

Comments

• hazyjo
    hazyjo Posts: 15,470 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Get hers on the market asap. There will be other houses if she loses this one. I've had sales take up to a year due to various issues with chains, etc. Bridging loans are for very short term periods, not advised for situations like this.
    2023 wins: *must start comping again!*
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    A lower stress option might be to wait until she's sold her house, and plan for her to move into a short term rental property (or even in with you ??) until she finds a house to buy. Although rent may seem like "dead money", this will put her in the position of being a cash buyer and able to move quickly, which is a strong position to be in as a buyer and she may even be able to negotiate a reduction in the price as a consequence.
  • Red-Squirrel_2
    Options
    rudebh0y wrote: »
    Hi ,

My mother in law is looking to buy a house a bit nearer us that has come on market recently. She owns her current house but will have to move quickly to secure house. The sale of her house should cover the new one. What are her options ? I was thinking bridging loan but that may be expensive option. I can help out financially if that is an option also . Just trying to find out best / least expensive way for her to move. Anyone been through this before?

Was she wanting to move to your area before this house came on the market or was it a case of seeing the house and being tempted?

If the latter, I strongly suggest forgetting about the house currently for sale and that she thinks seriously about whether she actually wants to move even if she had never seen this house. The decision to move area should come well before looking at individual properties!
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    rudebh0y wrote: »
    Hi ,

My mother in law is looking to buy a house a bit nearer us that has come on market recently. She owns her current house but will have to move quickly to secure house. The sale of her house should cover the new one. What are her options ? I was thinking bridging loan but that may be expensive option. I can help out financially if that is an option also .
    1) buy new property using a mortgage (or 2nd mortgage if she already has one).

2) sell current property and buy new one (at delayed timescale)

3) borrow money from you to buy new property (at zero or low interest rate)

4) borrow money elsewhere (bridgng loan) to buy new property (at high interest rate)

5) use her savings to buy property
  • rudebh0y
    Options
    thanks for all the replies,

The problem about selling up first as there is not many come up for sale in our estate. In fact this house is first for a year or so, so she could be renting for a long time.

Also would her age be an issue getting a mortgage, even though she owns her house of similar value. ? Maybe I would have to be guarantor ? It's all of a sudden and as I said would have to move over next few days or weeks to have a chance of property .
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    From what you've told us I doubt if the EA for the property she's hoping to buy would consider her proceedable at the moment so probably wouldn't recommend her as a buyer to the seller. And if houses there are as rare as hens teeth they might well have a lot of other people wanting to buy it. I really think selling and renting would put her in a much better position when the next house comes along.
  • gingercordial
    Options
    Bear in mind if she buys this one before selling her existing home she will have to pay the higher rate stamp duty and then claim it back later when she sells, so that will be a cash flow issue to consider.

If you buy it for her (or end up on the deeds in any way as a part owner) it will be a second home for you and no refund available on the sale of her old house.
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,425 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    The vendors of this property may be lucky enough to find a cash buyer /FTB but cannot rely on this.

They would normally accept ( and be resigned to) being part of a chain.

It cannot be that unusual for a person to see a house for sale that he'd like to buy, put in an offer and then get his own property on the market asap?

Perhaps MIL should follow this route and hope for the best as most people must?
  • hazyjo
    hazyjo Posts: 15,470 Forumite
    Options
    xylophone wrote: »
    It cannot be that unusual for a person to see a house for sale that he'd like to buy, put in an offer and then get his own property on the market asap?

Perhaps MIL should follow this route and hope for the best as most people must?

Not generally advised, although works for some. Read this thread for reasons: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5695667
    2023 wins: *must start comping again!*
  • Slithery
    Slithery Posts: 6,046 Forumite
    Options
    xylophone wrote: »

Not unusual. What would be unusual is for the sellers to accept the offer from someone who isn't currently procedable.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure