Joint ESA claim and free dental care?

Options
Hi all- me again! Firstly I need to say thank god for this website as I seem to get more info from here then I do when I call the JC!
So here's the story...
I claim IB ESA and have done for 8+ years, partner was on CB ESA for a year but has now been placed in support group (we still haven't been told if this is now IB or CB, the letter just said suppor group and he gets £125 a week)
We now live together so are claiming as a couple- after lots of advice from this site I have been put on his claim as it would work out better off financially for us, but my claim as been left open for NI credits.

Whilst my partner was on CB ESA he pays £10.40 a month for a PPC card as he has a lots of meds he needs per weekly basis so it worked out cheaper then paying for them every week, we knew he wasn't eligible for free prescriptions on CB ESA.
Now he's in support group and we are in a joint claim is he now eligible for free dental care and prescriptions because of me? My claim is still open and is IB, and I've read that if I have a partner they are entitled to free dental care etc because of my IB ESA?
Is this right? If it is then we will cancel the ppc card as it will save us an extra £10 a month!

Thanks in advance!

P.s- also I just wanted to know when our joint claim is 100% through will we be put on the assessment rate and have to go to medical again? My partner only got his outcome of his medical assessment last week so I'm guessing that's enough to be put on a different rate?

Comments

• GlasweJen
    GlasweJen Posts: 7,451 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    If your partner was on CB ESA and was put into support group after less than a year in the work related activities group he SHOULD still be on CBESA and should remain there until he's reassessed as needing to come off ESA or he spends a year in the WRAG.

You'll most likely end up on CBESA with an IB top up for yourself and at that stage you'll both be entitled to nhs help with prescriptions, dental opticians etc.

Don't cancel the pre payment card or claim any exemption for free nhs for your partner until you have everything in black and white from the job centre. If he does see a dentist or pay for a prescription or anything else covered by the exemption before the letter is through he needs to ask for an official receipt or an NHS HC5 declaration so he can claim the money back when the award is confirmed.
  • Mae85
    Mae85 Posts: 117 Forumite
    Options
    He's never been in the WRAG, he was put on CB ESA after his sick pay ended at work. He resigned from his job due to ill health. He got called for a medical in may and w had the results from that last week saying he's been put in support group and he won't be called on again to go for interviews etc.
    It's me that's in the WRAG always have been.
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,963 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Mae85 wrote: »
    He's never been in the WRAG, he was put on CB ESA after his sick pay ended at work. He resigned from his job due to ill health. He got called for a medical in may and w had the results from that last week saying he's been put in support group and he won't be called on again to go for interviews etc.
    It's me that's in the WRAG always have been.
    Everyone is re-assessed at some point, even those in the Support Group. There was talk about some people with certain condtions never being re-assessed again BUT the criteria for that hasn't been announced yet. You won't be put back onto assessment rate once your joint claim has been accepted.
  • Mae85
    Mae85 Posts: 117 Forumite
    Options
    I meant job interview reviews etc. The woman I spoke to from JC said he won't be called on again for a while as it's usually every two years you get called for a medical. She said I may get called which I'm dreading! Hate those assessments lol
  • nannytone_2
    nannytone_2 Posts: 12,949 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    poppy12345 wrote: »
    Everyone is re-assessed at some point, even those in the Support Group. There was talk about some people with certain condtions never being re-assessed again BUT the criteria for that hasn't been announced yet. You won't be put back onto assessment rate once your joint claim has been accepted.

i think the OP is a little confused and is referring to WFI at the job centre ( which people in the support group do not have to attend)
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,963 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Mae85 wrote: »
    I meant job interview reviews etc. The woman I spoke to from JC said he won't be called on again for a while as it's usually every two years you get called for a medical. She said I may get called which I'm dreading! Hate those assessments lol
    It can be anytime. Some people are given 1 year whilst others are given 3 years before a re-assessment.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure