It's not a lot, but it's enough

Options

Comments

• SpekySquarehead
    SpekySquarehead Posts: 3,019 Forumite
    Photogenic Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    It was that thread that actually inspired me JJ. Looking forward to seeing what the hype is all about and hopefully i'll earn some cash in selling the junk I thought I once needed.
  • louby40
    louby40 Posts: 1,519 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I've sold nearly £150 worth of stuff in the past 2 weeks. Gone into my overdraft so it all helps.

It's a bit of a pain organising it all but worth it. I'd got an old surround sound system with DVD player that was my exes and just sat in the loft. I put it on a local sale stuff site on Facebook on Sunday morning, by 11 o clock it had gone, £45!!! Well chuffed and no eBay charges!

Get sorting. It's amazing what will sell, especially if you have some decent stuff. :T
  • SpekySquarehead
    Options
    Amazing, Louby! I rarely use facebook so I wasn't even aware you could sell on there, great idea too.

The book wasn't in the library yet, so I've to collect it tonight. Looking forward to it.
  • SpekySquarehead
    Options
    Just sorted my car insurance and I'm chuffed to bits!!

I followed the guide on this website; i used 3 different comparison websites (took ages), i phoned the 3 insurers who don't use them, I checked the cash back sites (thanks joeyjimbles for the prompt) and haggled with my current insurer. I even then haggled with my new insurer.

In short, I saved a massive £250 from what my auto-renewal quote was! I could've got £21.00 cash back from Top Cashback however I couldn't afford to pay it all off as one payment without adding to my credit card. Maybe next year.

I also just opened my Help to Buy account with £1. A very productive and MSE evening and feeling super motivated.
  • joeyjimbles
    joeyjimbles Posts: 2,219 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Good for you. £250 is a great saving, and whilst it does take a while, its worth it - half an evening or so for all that money still being yours. Well done.
    NF 05.24 £18.00/£00.00 £72.00/£72.00
    LD 11.24 £500.00/£397.50 (79%)    Fn £375                                                     
    Renewal 24 £400.00/£403.00      Renewal 25 £450.00/£074.75 (16%)    
    Avch 08.24 £100.00/£025.00       NPt 12.24 £250.00/£084.00
    FD £3600.00/£1200.00                 X24 £1500.00/£0750.00

• louby40
    louby40 Posts: 1,519 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    It's great when you get money off Topcash Back. Ive been using it since 2009 and have had £840 back since then.

I usually use it to buy amazon vouchers as I'm an avid reader and can read 10 books on a 2 week holiday. There is usually a better offer if you go for vouchers than cash when you ask for a payout.

Well done
  • doingitanyway
    doingitanyway Posts: 8,783 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Just sorted my car insurance and I'm chuffed to bits!!

I followed the guide on this website; i used 3 different comparison websites (took ages), i phoned the 3 insurers who don't use them, I checked the cash back sites (thanks joeyjimbles for the prompt) and haggled with my current insurer. I even then haggled with my new insurer.

In short, I saved a massive £250 from what my auto-renewal quote was! I could've got £21.00 cash back from Top Cashback however I couldn't afford to pay it all off as one payment without adding to my credit card. Maybe next year.

I also just opened my Help to Buy account with £1. A very productive and MSE evening and feeling super motivated.

Well done you :T
    If you have built castles in the air, your work should not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them.

Solicitor/survey savings 300/1700
    Emergency fund 0/1000
    Buffer fund 0/200
  • SpekySquarehead
    Options
    I'm still buzzing from last nights savings. Feel I want to tell everyone. I said earlier it was £250 I saved but i was actually much more.

While I was on the phone to the various insurers last night I deep cleaned the toilet, got my bed linen all washed and completed the update to Windows 10 on my laptop.

I even started planning my GF's birthday in October and have arranged a cheap and cheerful trip to the caravans in Girvin with her brother and sister and their partners as a surprise. I'm sure she'll love it and I had budgeted for it in YNAB so one less thing to worry about.

Following Martins newsletter today, I'll do some reading as what's best to do for sorting spending money for my little family trip to Spain in September, nothing quite like being organised.
  • SpekySquarehead
    Options
    The last 2 days have been NSD’s, despite having a real battle not ordering some food one lunchtime. Tonight however I’m taking my GF into Glasgow to (eventually) redeem a Groupon voucher – fajitas for 2 for £8. So by the time I add on drinks and parking etc it’ll cost a little bit. Since I’m spending I think I’ll get a few other things, maybe a little grocery shop and I’ll lift some money and allocate it for my gym classes so when it comes around I won’t ruin a NSD.

Tomorrow is a loooong day at work, 8.30am-11.00pm, however we essentially go into lockdown and I’m not allowed to leave the venue, so I can’t spend even if I wanted to and we get our meals covered. Sunday is the Euro Finals and myself and 14 other guys have a sweepstake (which was free to enter) and the winner was to have his night paid for, so I think I’ll be at the pub on Sunday night for a few so I can buy the winner a pint, but I’ll be sure to keep the spending at a minimum. Working on Monday and all that.

It’s my step-dads birthday this month and I got him a gardening set after seeing the deal on the MSE newsletter, £7.11 delivered. He needs new sports shorts and I’ll get him some beers too so I’m browsing for some good deals.

Probably won’t be back until Monday, so have a good weekend folks.
  • SpekySquarehead
    Options
    Got some great news!!!

My GF has an outside postbox at her front gate however a wasps nest has manifested itself in there the past week but we all said we had to get rid of them and get the mail! Yesterday was that day. Covered head to toe in clothes, scarves, oven gloves etc her dad took all the mail out and I think then made some calls to get rid of them for good. One of the items was a letter from the NHS - THE ALL CLEAR!!! Oh how relieved we all were and cause for celebration. She's now to go for check ups every 6 months which of course, we're happy to do. Thanks again to everyone for your support during the last few weeks.

So last night the GF and I used the Groupon voucher I had bought, fajitas for 2 for £8 and they were really nice! By the time I bought us drinks and a side it cost me £9 in this months budget, bargain! I then went past the SM and got some bits and bobs then we wen't home for an early night and fell asleep watching Bad Neighbours.

Anyway, back to work.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure