Double ovens amps

Options
I'm choosing appliances for my kitchen, and have seen some double ovens.

Some are 20 amp and others are 32 amp.

I will be getting an electrician when the time comes to fit it, but in the meantime would like to understand whether there will be any differences in terms of using the overn if I choose 20 or 32 amps.

Comments

• Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,106 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    The crunch is not what the electrician has to do to actually connect it but what is the size of the circuit from the cooker outlet back to the main fuse board - could be expensive.
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • EssexExile
    EssexExile Posts: 6,139 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    In use what matters is the wattage of each element. Having had a quick look this seems to be something that isn't mentioned on retailer websites!
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
  • Annie1960
    Annie1960 Posts: 3,002 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'm not really interested in what the electrician has to do. I'm asking about the user experience one it has been fitted. Is there any difference that will be noticeable when using a 20 amp oven as opposed to 32 amp?
  • Annie1960
    Options
    EssexExile wrote: »
    In use what matters is the wattage of each element. Having had a quick look this seems to be something that isn't mentioned on retailer websites!

There is something about kwh in the info here:

https://www.johnlewis.com/store/neff-u14s32n5gb-built-in-double-oven-stainless-steel/p2845317?navAction=jump
  • spadoosh
    spadoosh Posts: 8,732 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 20 March 2017 at 1:16PM
    Options
    Amps is the max amount of current needed to run the appliance.

Dont know much about cookers but i would assume the 20amp cookers are more efficient and therefore require less current to run.

I cant imagine there will be much difference in terms of cooking ability, i assume they will all have certain temperatures that they are all required to get to whether 32 or 20 amp.

The benefit will be in running costs. A 20 amp oven will have a much lower wattage rating and therefore at maximum output will have a much cheaper running cost. Whether or not there will be any practical savings will depend on how the cooker uses the power and how you use the cooker.

If you compare the energy ratings of the cookers you should find the 20 amp ones appear more efficient than the 32kw.

ETA just had a look at a few. The ones i saw at 20 amp seem to be on par in wattage usage as the 32amp, which seems a little odd. UK electrics sits around 240v, going off that youd be looking around 4.8kw max draw for the 20 amp and and 7.6kw max draw for the 32 amp. The first cooker i looked at suggested that it was 32 amp yet was 4.6 kw and a 20 amp cooker was drawing 4.7kw. The 20 amp cooker had a better energy rating (a/a compared to b/b) and the ones ive seen seem to be similar. I think my assumption they are more energy efficient is correct yet im not sure why or how practical that is in reality?!
  • EssexExile
    EssexExile Posts: 6,139 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Annie1960 wrote: »

"kwh" is how much energy it uses over time. If you want to know something practical like how quickly it will heat up you need to know the wattage of each element & compare it with other models. Neff's site doesn't seem to tell you this! It gives a total wattage of 4.4kW which I assume is the most it will take at any one time (both ovens on) & equates to about 20 amps.

Perhaps read the reviews & see if anyone has complained about slow heating.
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
  • Annie1960
    Options
    https://www.johnlewis.com/neff-u14m42n5gb-built-in-double-oven-stainless-steel/p2725627

Getting this one.

The cheapest retailer is JL.

Thanks for all your comments. Reviews generally look positive, with no problems heating up.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure