The Simple Bare Necessities feat. Gratitude & Recipes

Options

Comments

• try_harder
    try_harder Posts: 1,527 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Morning greying pilgrim ,i have two local shops that i use everyday ,they tend to reduce items just before the children come out of school so i pop in every day ,they only have certain items reduced of course but i then try to base that day or the next days meal around it what ever i buy .This week i bought two massive bags of potatoes 32p each and two packs of cherry tomatoes 25p each and bagged herb lettuce 25p and hummus in a pot 35p,i had several here for dinner so we had jacket potatoes and salad just added some grated cheese and a tin of tuna plus cooked up more jacket potatoes the next day for the three of us. with salad again .There is always something reduced every day and it only takes 20 minutes to look round.
  • try_harder
    try_harder Posts: 1,527 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Forgot to say that we do eat meat ,i buy it at our local Waitrosx when ever its reduced again normally after school its a two minute walk from our house ,fish too is reduced at that time maybe only maybe plaice for example or a lamb shank but there are brilliant reductions made if they are reaching their sell by date so i pop them into the freezer we only tend to eat meat once a week though and fish once or twice ,We are also very lucky as our friend has a large garden where she grows vegetables all organic and she gives us vegetables all year round which is really kind of her so we dont buy many vegetables apart from potatoes .
  • EssexHebridean
    Options
    Morning GP - yep - beautiful here too, I'm off to visit Al for the Sooper6!

Hope the camera lives to "photograph us dinner's" another day! :D
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
  • EssexHebridean
    EssexHebridean Posts: 21,372 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I've just stumbled across a recipe for Shakshuka - have you ever tried it? It certainly looks like something I'm going to be trying out at some stage!
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
  • Greying_Pilgrim
    Options
    I've just stumbled across a recipe for Shakshuka - have you ever tried it? It certainly looks like something I'm going to be trying out at some stage!

OMG - baked eggs with runny middles - bleurk, bleurk, bleurk!!! I tried a recipe - I think it was on my first diary - and I still shudder at the thought of the taste, even today. I even remember photographing it to remind myself never to make it again. Me no likey, no, no, no, nooooooo..............

ENJOY! But not one for me I'm afraid :o

Greying X
    Pounds for Panes £2,590/£10,000 - start date Dec 2023

Coins for Camping (April) -  £8/£15  (Camping TTD - £60/90)

Grocery spend April £214.28/215
    Non-food household spend April £29.23/25
    Bulk Fund April 0/£10

Knitted items for charity 1/24 (inc. Blankets 1/6)
  • mcculloch29
    mcculloch29 Posts: 4,972 Forumite
    Rampant Recycler
    Options
    I'm glad it wasn't just me 'bleurking' at the runny baked eggs, Greying. When an entire restaurant is devoted to a dish that you couldn't eat if paid to do so, you get the feeling that you are the one out of step....
    I normally only use eggs in quiches, desserts, for cakes / pancakes and to glaze. I had to eat them every other day for breakfast as a child. Boiled eggs and fried are okayish still, scrambled is meh and poached /baked are (expletives deleted).
    Erma Bombeck, American writer: "If I had my life to live over again... I would have burned the pink candle, sculptured like a rose, that melted in storage." Don't keep things 'for best' - that day never comes. Use them and enjoy them now.
  • Greying_Pilgrim
    Options
    *squirrels a fiver into mcculloch's hand for 'understanding' :rotfl:*

Greying X

Bulk Fund April 0/£10

• Greying_Pilgrim
    Options
    Found it.

First Diary.

Didn't like 'em them. And............

_pale_ Greying X

Bulk Fund April 0/£10

• Cheery_Daff
    Cheery_Daff Posts: 15,710 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Oh dear! :rotfl: Now, see, I quite like a baked egg :D But I'm not sure about that much tomato :rotfl: Not sure I've ever had them baked other than on the top of pizza! :D
  • in_need_of_direction
    Options
    Omg, memories of a drunken breakfast pizza flooding back.
    Mortgage at 01.01.14 £119,481.83:eek: today £0 Emergency fund £5.5/5.5k & £200/200 cash.:jWeight 24/02/19 14st 7lb now 11st11lb determined to stop defining myself by my mistakes. Progress not perfection.:T100%through my 1% mortgage challenge. 40.25% through my pb challenge.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure