PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Window size: condition of offer

Options
I've put an offer on a flat which has been rejected (rather unsurprisingly, because it was pretty low!), and I've been advised by the selling agent NOT to put another offer on yet, because the seller wants to do some work on the property to increase interest and attract more offers. I'm half tempted to follow this advice, but: I'm really pretty keen on this flat.

My uncle has seen pictures of the flat (which is an extension) and has questioned the size of the windows in the bedroom: they're TINY, almost letter-box style (and certainly not fire-escapable, they're too small and apart from anything they're very close to the ceiling. My uncle thinks there's a legal minimum size for bedroom windows.

So, I suppose my question is this: would it be worth making a very slightly higher offer, and explaining that the windows would need to be replaced, hence the low offer? I'm a first time buyer in Oxford (lucky me!) so this is all very new and confusing!

Thank you in advance! (and apologies if this is the wrong board)

Hannah

Comments

• davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I suggest you seek advice from someone better-qualified than your uncle. Unlikely that a purpose-built flat wouldn't comply with the building regulations in force at the time of construction. Bear in mind you won't necessarily be allowed to alter the windows (and there may be good reasons for them being the way they are). Would probably need planning / building regulations / freeholders' consent.

Certainly doesn't sound like a good point to increase your offer!
  • stator
    stator Posts: 7,441 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    No, there is no point trying to get the vendor to increase window size.

Make your offer for what you think it is worth (ignore the estate agents).
    Once you own the flat make the windows whatever size you want (assuming you are allowed to, you might be refused planning permission depending on location)
    Changing the world, one sarcastic comment at a time.
  • hazyjo
    hazyjo Posts: 15,470 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Guessing it would alter the outside of the building which probably won't be allowed if it's uniform with other flats or if it's listed. Is it converted industrial?

Either that, or it overlooks another property and that's all they could do to get past planning.

There was someone on here selling or buying (the latter I think) a flat recently where the bedroom was within the flat with the only window leading onto a hallway behind it. The window was very high, narrow, and possibly obscured glass.
    2023 wins: *must start comping again!*
  • HannahSnape
    Options
    Thanks for your replies - I think I'm just desperately clutching at straws! Logically, the windows must be that small for a reason, otherwise planning permission wouldn't've been granted in the first place. Maybe the window size is of more relevance if you're renting/HMOing....
  • pinklady21
    pinklady21 Posts: 870 Forumite
    Options
    The flat is an "extension" - to what exactly? Was it built recently?
    You could try asking the planning dept at the local Council why the windows were designed in the way they were. It could have been deliberate due to overlooking / privacy or some such issue.
    You could also ask the question as to whether they would be likely to approve of changes that would increase the size of the windows.
  • Smodlet
    Smodlet Posts: 6,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If the windows are not an option for escape in the event of a fire, what is? Is it realistic? Accessible? Ventilation will not be easy during hot weather if they are so small. Is there an outside door to this bedroom?

Sounds like a good miss to me.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport