Can I use prepaid Visa card to make payment towards credit card balance?

Options
I have received a prepaid Visa card from BT for signing up to phone and broadband. I could just spend it but was wondering if I could use it to make a payment on against my credit card balance?

I get cash back on my credit card so using the prepaid card instead of my credit card loses me a potentially a couple of pounds.

Is there anything else savvy I could use the prepaid card for that I haven't thought of to max the potential benefit?

Comments

• Sharon87
    Sharon87 Posts: 4,011 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Does your credit card provider give you the option to pay with a debit or credit card? My suggestion would be giving your credit card provider a call.

I know credit card providers accept debit cards, but I've never really looked to see if they accept credit cards, I'm not sure what category a prepaid card will fall under.
  • grumbler
    grumbler Posts: 58,629 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Sharon87 wrote: »
    ...I've never really looked to see if they accept credit cards,
    Certainly they don't.
    I'm not sure what category a prepaid card will fall under.
    Neither am I.
  • Anthorn
    Anthorn Posts: 4,362 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 30 July 2015 at 7:06AM
    Options
    To clarify, although they are more prepaid debit cards we call them prepaid credit cards because they are designated by the card issuer as credit cards. For example Lidl stores that don't accept credit cards don't accept prepaid credit cards either.

There could be exceptions: For example the Ffrees blurb describes their card as a prepaid debit card. Whether that's true or not I don't know.

Have a go at using the prepaid card to pay the credit card. They will soon tell you if it's not valid.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Sharon87 wrote: »
    I'm not sure what category a prepaid card will fall under.

It can't be a Credit Card, since it offers no line of credit, so it must be a Debit Card.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I use my NatWest credit card to make 'debit card payments' to my Vanquis card online so it is possible.
  • guesswho2000
    guesswho2000 Posts: 1,703 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Uniform Washer
    Options
    grumbler wrote: »
    Certainly they don't.

Unless the card is issued by Creation/Sygma Bank, who do accept credit cards to repay, oddly.

As for the prepaid card, it'll almost certainly fail unless it's one of the above, they seem to be classed as credit cards - I tried with Amex, MBNA, Barclaycard and Tesco, none of which would accept them.

I used it to pay E.on in the end, it just out my account in credit and reduced the monthly direct debit accordingly. Not so useful if you want the cash right now, but it's a way of putting it to use (I assume other energy companies would do similar, if you're not an E.on customer!).
  • stayathomedad_2
    Options
    Thanks all. It would be to make a payment on a Tesco credit card. I will give it a go and see what happens.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure