PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Insuring first home- struggling

Options

Comments

• Out,_Vile_Jelly
    Options
    - plenty of big names do not use the comparison sites- have you tried them direct?

- many of the unfamiliar cheapo ones may be underwritten by larger names.

-your bank/mortgage provider may be an option (rarely competitive though).
    They are an EYESORES!!!!
  • rtho782
    rtho782 Posts: 1,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Admiral are massive, our cars are with them and our household insurance.

Not exactly an unknown name....
  • pimento
    pimento Posts: 6,242 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    What did Aviva say when you called them?
    "If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." -- Red Adair
  • chamelious
    chamelious Posts: 116 Forumite
    Options
    I haven't and won't be phoning round individual vendors. I've already wasted enough time on this.

Many thanks for the help all.
  • hazyjo
    hazyjo Posts: 15,470 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Check a flood risk website - maybe it's near a river or something. I had a 'hidden' river behind one of my houses which put it into a high risk category. Wouldn't have known it was even there.
    2023 wins: *must start comping again!*
  • LEJC
    LEJC Posts: 9,618 Forumite
    Options
    I'm sorry but I think you may be approaching home insurance in possibly the wrong way.

A home insurance is not a waste of money nor is it a waste of time to actually find the one that suits you and your circumstances best.
    What is a waste is spending out for something that is unsuitable and wont provide you with the cover that you need.

Your home is a major investment....make sure you protect it correctly.
    Spending a little time now to get the correct policy,be that with an online company or through a broker may well be the best couple of hours you spend IF you are ever in the unfortunate position of having to claim.
    frugal October...£41.82 of £40 food shopping spend for the 2 of us!

2017 toiletries challenge 179 out 145 in ...£18.64 spend
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,648 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    chamelious wrote: »
    I haven't and won't be phoning round individual vendors. I've already wasted enough time on this.

Many thanks for the help all.

I hope you have treated the rest of the house buying process with more care and patience. Getting the right buildings and contents cover is essential, some insurers may not offer the cover you need. Buying a house is time consuming and stressful, you have to expect difficulties.

I would urge you to think again on this. You need the right cover at the right price and it isn't always found by visiting comparison sites. Ask friends and relatives, try a broker, but don't repeat don't, accept a quote just because it is cheap!
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • eddddy
    eddddy Posts: 16,449 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I haven't and won't be phoning round individual vendors.

If there really is some kind of issue with the property which means most mainstream insurers won't insure it, you should find out what it is before you commit to buying it.

You might get some insight by phoning insurance companies and/or local brokers.
    I've already wasted enough time on this.

Good luck with owning a property.
  • marliepanda
    marliepanda Posts: 7,186 Forumite
    Options
    Been with Admiral for car insurance for years, no bother at all, sorted out a no fault claim easily.

Not sure exactly what you are wanting but if you put in minimal effort you'll get minimal return.
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I've used a few comparison sites to get prices for my and my partners first home. I'm only getting 7 or 8 results from each, .....

I can't think of any reason why i'd be struggling to get results from reputable dealers, the policy details are literally as standard as you can possibly get. Can anyone shed any light?
    How can we possibly shed light without knowing what answers you are giving to the standard Qs the comparison sites ask?

It could be location, your occupation, your claims history, your criminal record, the construction of the property, the number of nights you plan to leave it unoccupied......... there are any number of reasons.

Care to enlighten us?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport