Son's loan on credit file

Options
2»

Comments

• DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I can't remember exactly why. It was 3 years ago now and she would've been 16 at the the time with a part time job. The payments were coming out of her bank account so maybe I was needed as a guarantor again? As far as I'm aware she is no longer on that contract but I'll double check with her. Again, I only registered with Clearscore a couple of days ago so I didn't realise that these accounts were still tied to me - I'm glad I know now.

Have you looked at your reports with Noodle and Experian ?
  • bertiewhite
    bertiewhite Posts: 1,904 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Just an update on the stepdaughters mobile phone contract.

I asked my SD if her phone was still in my name and if so that it was time for this arrangement to cease. A couple of days later she said that she'd contacted CarphoneWarehouse (who we originally had the contract with) and they said I could simply go in with a form of ID and get the contract transferred. I still wondered how the contract (taken out in 2012 for 18 months with Vodafone) was allowed to continue without my knowledge so I was looking forward to an interesting conversation with CPW.

Anyway I was visiting her this weekend and suggested we both go to sort it out. Every excuse under the sun was brought up why we couldn't go so I became very suspicious and decided to phone them direct this morning.

It turns out that the original contract ended early in 2012 and CPW no longer have a live account for my name. My next port of call was Vodafone direct who confirmed that they have not 1 but 2 contracts in my name, both taken out in October 2015 using my SD's address. When I asked how this was possible, the assistant said they would need to look into it as I should have been present so either someone at Vodafone has made a huge mistake or my name has been used fraudulently to not only extend 1 contract but also to take out another.

I asked if this meant that the contract is void and could it be terminated immediately and was told that they will have to investigate but in the meantime both accounts have been suspended.

I await a phonecall from Vodafone and an even more interesting one with my Stepdaughter.....
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,866 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I doubt the first contract has been "extended", once the initial term ends the contract continues until cancelled as per the contract you signed. The second should not have been allowed though.
  • bertiewhite
    First Post
    Options
    molerat wrote: »
    I doubt the first contract has been "extended", once the initial term ends the contract continues until cancelled as per the contract you signed. The second should not have been allowed though.

It hasn't which is why Vodafone themselves are concerned as to how this has happened. The original contract with CPW would have been a lowest price one just to get her a phone (being-a-willing-to-help-out-stepdad) but now the monthly payments are £28 for the phone contract and the 2nd is a mobile data plan at £12/month so the original contract with CPW was terminated. I could almost have understood if she had simply upgraded the phone online meaning that a new contract was in place but even then I'm sure a signature is required? Vodafone have stated that both contracts are new, taken out in October 2015 by which time I had been living on the opposite side of the country from her for 3 months!!!

I did ask Vodafone if I didn't take the contract out myself will it be void but obviously until they find out what has happened, they can't say.
  • bertiewhite
    First Post
    Options
    A final update on the Vodafone issue.

After a few weeks of discussion with Vodafone, this ended going to the Communications Ombudsman.

Although they initially thought that Vodafone had acted fairly, further evidence was provided and coupled with the fact that Vodafone had made the situation extremely difficult to resolve, the Ombudsman decided that the contract should be terminated without penalty.

Which is what I wanted in the first place.
  • Shakin_Steve
    Shakin_Steve Posts: 2,701 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    A final update on the Vodafone issue.

After a few weeks of discussion with Vodafone, this ended going to the Communications Ombudsman.

Although they initially thought that Vodafone had acted fairly, further evidence was provided and coupled with the fact that Vodafone had made the situation extremely difficult to resolve, the Ombudsman decided that the contract should be terminated without penalty.

Which is what I wanted in the first place.
    Thank you so much for updating the thread, that very seldom happens. :T
    I came into this world with nothing and I've got most of it left.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure