Recommend me a car.

Options
Well it's actually for my sister.

She'd require a new (or nearly new) SUV type, auto gearbox, doesn't do the mileage for diesel. Liked the Sportage but changed her mind after sitting in it. I'm pushing her towards a Mazda cx-3 (cx-5 is better but much pricier). Apart from the usual suspects (Qashqai etc,) anyone got any recommendations. She has chronic knee pain so a reliable auto box is essential.

Comments

• agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Why does she want a SUV (just to continue my campaign to make people realise that they very rarely need such a vehicle, and it would be better for everyone if they just bought a normal car)?
  • *~Zephyr~*
    *~Zephyr~* Posts: 612 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 7 July 2017 at 2:27PM
    Options
    If she has knee problems then SUV's are much less painful to get in and out of. I've been looking at the CX-5 for the same reasons.

I'm waiting for an influx of the 2015 facelift model following the launch of the new model last week. Hopefully that will push the prices down because they are still very pricy secondhand cars!

I do love the CX_3 but it's actually pretty small inside. There's not as much room inside as there is in my Golf and both me and the OH found the front seats don't go back far enough.

If she liked the Sportage, get her to look at the Hyundai Tuscon. They are basically the same car. Made in the same factory, just slight differences inside.
  • SuzieSue
    SuzieSue Posts: 4,096 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    agrinnall wrote: »
    Why does she want a SUV (just to continue my campaign to make people realise that they very rarely need such a vehicle, and it would be better for everyone if they just bought a normal car)?

Out of interest, why don't you like SUVs?

We don't have a choice as my husband needs a hoist for his electric scooter. But I like them anyway.
  • Herzlos
    Herzlos Posts: 14,688 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Liked the Sportage but changed her mind after sitting in it.

What doesn't she like about it?

You might just be best looking for anything with an autobox and taking her to try them.

What's her budget? She looking at new/used?
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    SuzieSue wrote: »

We don't have a choice as my husband needs a hoist for his electric scooter. But I like them anyway.

They take up an unnecessary amount of space for the function they perform, and in particular for the rest of us who choose the sensible car option they block the view by being unreasonably tall. Everybody managed for many years before some marketing genius decided they could make lots of money for car companies by promoting a new class of vehicle that until then nobody had needed.
  • Clive_Woody
    Clive_Woody Posts: 5,855 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    SEAT Ateca or soon the Skoda (small SUV) version will be out.
    "We act as though comfort and luxury are the chief requirements of life, when all that we need to make us happy is something to be enthusiastic about” – Albert Einstein
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    SuzieSue wrote: »

Poor visibility especially for close distance manouvering, longer stopping distances, poorer on cornering, risk of roll over on sudden direction changes, affected more by the wind, worse fuel economy, higher cost of repairs, higher running costs not just because of fuel but because of tyres...
  • dark_knight_2
    dark_knight_2 Posts: 104 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    "Why does she want a SUV (just to continue my campaign to make people realise that they very rarely need such a vehicle, and it would be better for everyone if they just bought a normal car)?"

Prefers the height, room , feeling protected etc etc
  • dark_knight_2
    Options
    Good call on a Tucson
  • dark_knight_2
    Options
    Thanks all for suggestions so far, I'll get her to check out the Tucson and ateca (couldn't remember the name of this earlier). Are any auto boxes particularly recommended? (Or indeed, to particularly be avoided?)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure