Co-op closing my account

Options
I've just been notified the co-op are closing my bank account. The question is, I had debt with Barclays so are they likely to give me an account? The problem is having somewhere to pay my child benefit and maternity into plus for my partner to transfer money to me once my maternity ends as he works away from home the majority of time. I'm totally gutted this has happened, I was pinning my hopes on them allowing me to keep it especially as I've never had any credit facilities with them etc.

Comments

• alastairq
    alastairq Posts: 5,030 Forumite
    Options
    Hi..as a matter of interest, what type of Co-op account was it?

Yes, go along to BArclays in person, open their basic account [open two, makes budgeting much easier].....
    No, I don't think all other drivers are idiots......but some are determined to change my mind.......
  • Haitch33
    Options
    Thanks for your reply.
    It was a current account I have-or will have until Dec 5th!
    Do Barclays accept all bankrupt people?
  • alastairq
    Options
    Without doing a search to bring up your history......go into Barclays after your Court appointment.

Open a new basic bank account.

Who is your present account with?

If a bank freezes[locks] an account when BR is discovered, they cannot keep the cash.

Likewise if they close an account.

My post, responding to your query some weeks ago.....the above could have been done immediately, saving you the hassle and worry.

The Co-op account must have been a conventional [cheque book & overdraught type] account for them to close it.

In BAnkruptcy, only basic bank accounts are permitted.

{For those that don't realise, a basic bank account offers all the banking facilities of any other type of account, except no overdraught, cheque book, or other credit facility is available.}

If the Co-op account was a Cashminder account, the only reasons why Co-op would close it would be, if they were a creditor in the bankruptcy... or the basic T&Cs had been breached by the customer.....[for example, with the Cashminder account, Co-op operate a ''3-strikes-and-one-is-out'' rule. In other words, for example, if DD's are due, yet there are insufficient funds, etc]
    No, I don't think all other drivers are idiots......but some are determined to change my mind.......
  • philnicandevan
    Options
    Barclays will sort you an account make an appt and see someone in person to process your application...

they were one of my largest creditors when bankrupt and they offered me an account no problem..one thing to bear in mind though you wont have online banking or access to telephone banking while bankrupt with them although once discharged they will allow this.
    Not quite a newbie as you think ;);) (the member formally known as philnicandamy!)

FINALLY a qualified CAB debt caseworker 2015..:p
    BSC 58 :D
  • egrescrimp
    Options
    Haitch33 wrote: »
    Thanks for your reply.

Providing you have no history of fraud, you should be fine.

If you need Internet banking, you could also look into a FFrees account https://www.ffrees.co.uk. They have a free account, but charge for cash withdrawls on that account. You get a debit card and can setup standing orders, direct debits are coming soon.
  • alastairq
    Options
    Haitch33 wrote: »
    Thanks for your reply.

As has been answered in threads before, yes, Barclays will accept, but we advise going in person........rather than trying to defeat a computer.

No wonder Co-op closed the account, then.

We advised you to go to Barclays in person, immediately after your BR petition was granted......organising suitable bank accounts are an essential preparation before going near the Court.....or, immediately afterwards.

Preparation of this nature makes Bankruptcy so much more bearable.

When you go to Barclays, ask to open two basic accounts, as I said above....one is for DDs, & all fixed bills, the other receives income, and is used for day-to-day expenses.....don't touch the former unless paying a fixed bill.

If one knows the money is there, untouchable, for bills, that is one less thing to worry about.

Given that Barclays refuse to allow internet banking whilst an Undischarged Bankrupt [only lasts 12 months, so, not long to go now?], not worrying if there are sufficient funds to meet a DD or bill is only a good thing.
  • Haitch33
    Options
    "No wonder Co-op closed the account, then.

We advised you to go to Barclays in person, immediately after your BR petition was granted......organising suitable bank accounts are an essential preparation before going near the Court.....or, immediately afterwards."

Thanks for your condescending tone and making this worse. I don't need lectured or judged that's not the point of this site.
    Maybe you should try walking in another persons shoes before making such remarks.
    Perhaps if you had been taken into hospital suddenly and had major surgery requiring weeks of recovery with two young children to look after a bank account would also be the last thing on your mind too.
    I'm signing off here after that, thanks!
  • Haitch33
    Options
    However thanks to the rest of you for your kind replies its much appreciated in a difficult time xx
  • alastairq
    Options
    hanks for your condescending tone and making this worse. I don't need lectured or judged that's not the point of this site.
    Maybe you should try walking in another persons shoes before making such remarks.
    Perhaps if you had been taken into hospital suddenly and had major surgery requiring weeks of recovery with two young children to look after a bank account would also be the last thing on your mind too.
    I'm signing off here after that, thanks!

I can only respond to the information posted....

One thing I have learnt when contributing to this forum [to put back something of what I originally got out?}....is to try to find more relevant information from a posters previous posts.

What also needs to be remembered is that an OP isn't the only person looking at the posts....there are hundreds of lurkers for every OP that asks a question.

So responses need to be given, bearing that in mind....

If, after this brief period of time, an OP gives a simple [not explicit] update of the situation, then questions can be answered, views given, that reflect that information.

The OP presumes too much, as well!
  • micky2phones
    Options
    Barclays will sort you an account make an appt and see someone in person to process your application...

they were one of my largest creditors when bankrupt and they offered me an account no problem..one thing to bear in mind though you wont have online banking or access to telephone banking while bankrupt with them although once discharged they will allow this.

Me too, gave me a basic account.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport