PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Lodger Advice needed

Options

Comments

• Slithery
    Slithery Posts: 6,046 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    MissB2017 wrote: »
    Thats what I thought, damage is payable after I leave and once work is completed.

No. Any damages are payable after you leave, but the work doesn't have to be carried out.
  • Red-Squirrel_2
    Options
    If the police show up to throw you out. Leave.

I bet they don't though.
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    what's the hole in the skirting look like ,

chances are that is repairable for a tiny amount of time/money even if the particular profile is no longer available there will be a fix that won't disturb the wall.

Did you ever mention the damp problem to the LL?
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,323 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 3 December 2017 at 11:17AM
    Options
    I have repaired plenty of holes in walls (not made by me or anyone I know lol) by patching. If the room is to be painted or decorated what does it need to match with? You just sand it down and decorate.

You shouldn't be replacing the bed either unless it was new when you moved in and its not cleanable. I bet they'd love it if you took it with you, saves them having to dispose of it.

If there is any way you can leave earlier, I suggest you do so. Can you prove you paid a deposit when you moved in (bank transfer)? Then you might be able to go to court to get your deposit back. I wouldn't pay anything extra at all. Before you leave, take photos of the room in great detail.

If you have any photos you took of you in the room in the first year or so it will help you show the state of the room when you moved in. But remember the LL has to prove that you caused the damage, I don't see how they can unless they have an inventory or photos of the room before you moved in. Keep any texts or written messages you have saying you have to leave earlier than your lodger agreement (in face keep them with you when out of the room in case they do decide to change the locks). Try to keep anything valuable with friends if you can't leave.
  • sevenhills
    sevenhills Posts: 5,887 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    MissB2017 wrote: »
    Verbally we agreed 28 days and I did email confirmation in May 2017 to extend to May 2018 but she changed her mind while on holiday with her boyfriend in September.

Sounds like she has received plenty of money from you in that time; the damage that you mention sounds more like wear n tear.
    Surely you cannot be held responsible for maintenance issues.
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Options
    How can she say you 'haven't kept on top of damp issues' when she lives in the same house? If she's resident, that's her job, unless you refused to allow her to inspect the room. She's just trying it on.
    As for a small hole in the skirting board, buy a tube of filler, then a dab of paint, all sorted in a few minutes. Why would the skirting board need replacing?
    And in future, insist on a copy of the contract you agreed.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • LilElvis
    LilElvis Posts: 5,835 Forumite
    Options
    It would appear that events have taken another turn.

This is the OPs new thread where she has been thrown out of the house and has assaulted the landlady's boyfriend:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5754646
  • Marvel1
    Marvel1 Posts: 7,172 Forumite
    Options
    LilElvis wrote: »
    It would appear that events have taken another turn.

This is the OPs new thread where she has been thrown out of the house and has assaulted the landlady's boyfriend:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5754646

She is the victim - other person kicking in door, threatening to be dragged out of house by hair and she is made out to the bad one :mad:
  • Slithery
    Slithery Posts: 6,046 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    That's still no excuse for physical violence.
  • Marvel1
    Marvel1 Posts: 7,172 Forumite
    Options
    Slithery wrote: »
    That's still no excuse for physical violence.

I'm going way off topic here and speaking hypothetical:
    A mate is being beaten by 2 people, can't defend against 2, you phone the Police, but the damage is still taking place. Do you just stand there and watch and wait for the Police? Even trying to stop it verbally is not going to do anything.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure