How many cards?

Options
I read an article yesterday saying the Goverment is going to limit people to 6 credit cards. Is this going to happen andd when? What is a safe number of cards to have?
Mark Hughes' blue and white army

Comments

• Robert_Sterling_3
    Options
    It is not going to happen IMHO.
    Some people claim to have a lot.
    The highest I have heard of is 39.
    I only have 6 at present.
    Any more and you can find yourself in a bit of a pickle.
    ...............................I have put my clock back....... Kcolc ym
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I have no idea whether that is true or not, but if there is even a small part of the truth in that, then this country is sure becoming a joke.

Is there actually anything we are not advised about by the Government any more?

If the Government is interested in earning my money for me, then it can have a say in where it goes.

Otherwise, leave well alone. I only needed advice on things as I was growing up - like all others using the site I can decide for myself how I deal with money.
  • Rafter
    Rafter Posts: 3,850 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Difficult to tell from the express article whether this has come from the gvt, one of the banks or APACS.

Interesting question though.

Why would anyone need to have more than 6 credit cards open at any one point in time? Store cards yes, but credit cards?

Somebody with more than 6 is either gaming the intro offers or over-indebted surely?
    Smile :), it makes people wonder what you have been up to.
  • PinkLipstickBabe
    Options
    Well, I have over 10 active credit cards with a combined available credit limit that is HUGE! They are all empty by the way, I am a debt-free-chick, they just look good in my purse, all that Platinum and Gold sparkles as I open my purse. So yes, lots of people hold more than 10 cards and aren't heavily in debt, or like me, no debt at all. Why close accounts that you may want one day? I like mine open and use them all periodically to keep everyone happy and pay any balance off in full to stay rich and not pay interest ;D
    By the way, my latest card I got was a Citi Platinum which I got 2 months ago, so no-one appears to be limiting my cards and I have around 12ish.

PinkLipstickBabe
    An English Girl who Loves
    SCOTLAND!
    :p
  • Unbelievable_2
    Options
    Hey P.L.Babe

You could make a lovely exhibit for the Tate with all your cards - or really expensive looking Xmas tree decorations. You may as well put them to some use!!!! ;D ;D
  • johnllew
    johnllew Posts: 1,928 Forumite
    Options
    By the way, my latest card I got was a Citi Platinum which I got 2 months ago.
    Wasn't there a 0% promo with that? Why not use it to make some profit?
  • Robert_Sterling_3
    Options
    Only six cards. This could give a new meaning to "A six pack".
    ...............................I have put my clock back....... Kcolc ym
  • PinkLipstickBabe
    Options
    Wasn't there a 0% promo with that? Why not use it to make some profit?
    Hi Hon,
    Yes, there is a 0% for six months on my new Citi Card. I can't balance transfer to stooge but what I am doing is doing all my household spending on the card and banking the money I would normally pay it off with in ING. Best I can do to make money with the 0% deal I have. Wish I could stooge thousands like some on here ;D but alas, the best I can do is earn a little interest on the few hundred I spend on it by earning interest on that rather than pay off the card until the 0% runs out :(
    Any better ideas? would love to make some serious money! xx

PinkLipstickBabe
    An English Girl who Loves
    SCOTLAND!
    :p
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts