PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Private sale / Council on title deeds?

Options
2»

Comments

• Margot123
    Margot123 Posts: 1,116 Forumite
    Options
    I've just spoken to the Estate Agent about this, and their answer was that my solicitor would sort it out when I go through with the purchase! Not sure I'd pay out on fees only then to be told the ground was leasehold. It's a big garden and there'd be nothing to stop the Council selling part of it as building plots.
    It's a nice house but if there's complications, I'm walking away from it.
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Margot123 wrote: »
    I've just spoken to the Estate Agent about this, and their answer was that my solicitor would sort it out when I go through with the purchase! Not sure I'd pay out on fees only then to be told the ground was leasehold. It's a big garden and there'd be nothing to stop the Council selling part of it as building plots.
    Not sure I follow your concerns here - whether it's freehold or leasehold, the council can't build on it! Though the EA ought to know whether what they're marketing is freehold or leasehold - don't they?
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Margot123 wrote: »
    If the lease includes the garden, the council could not sell it off.

Go back to the EA, and/or the owner, and ask : "is the freehold or the leasehold for sale?"

Not an unreasonable request and the seller should know! If they don't, they need to find out sometime.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure