Cambelt - change it or risk it?

Options

Comments

• AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Sod's law says that if the belt's going to fail, it'll do so at the most inconvenient time possible.

There are 140-odd 2004 Astras on Autotrader. Most of them are in the £500-1,500 price range.
    Let's assume yours'll sell in six months for a grand, with the belt done.
    The belt costs £250 to change. Without the belt done, you'll probably get £700, because anybody buying it will deduct the cost of doing it plus a bit more for ballache.
    If the belt lets go, you'll get scrap value - £100.

Seems to me to be a no-brainer to do it.
  • n217970
    n217970 Posts: 338 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    My astra has done 120,000 miles and is 12 years old. At recent service, mechanic advised I replace the cambelt.

My dilemma is I'm planning to save for a new car and can't decide whether to do the cambelt now ( prob cost more than car is worth) or risk it for a few months till I buy a new car? I've been told if the belt fails the car will be wrecked but I'm reluctant to spend money on a car I only need for a few more months.

Why on earth did you bother paying for a service if you don't want to pay to change the belt?
  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,473 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 4 October 2017 at 10:12AM
    Options
    £50? That's the costs of the kit on it's own without labour. I've been quoted £250-350 for my 1.25 Fiesta and that's hardly oddball.

From memory the 1.25 engine in the fiesta is tricky enough because the end bolt is very highly torqued. Also depends on whats in the kit and what is considered "essential" to change when you're in there - belt, water pump, tensioner etc for example.

A lot of garages dont like doing belts so they charge more because its hassle.

I've had a belt changed for £40 on a Vauxhall Vectra 1.8i before now, including the price of the parts, so its not beyond the realms of possibility that dependant on the car, it could cost £50 to £150. £250, depending on the car might not be excessive. More than that and i'd be starting to ask questions.
  • Strider590
    Strider590 Posts: 11,874 Forumite
    Options
    Despite what some would say, it's not usually the belt that fails, it's usually the tensioner, the water pump or the rollers that wear out and snap the belt.
    So changing the belt alone is just a waste of money.
    “I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a** of yourself.”

<><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><> Don't forget to like and subscribe \/ \/ \/
  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,473 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Strider590 wrote: »
    Despite what some would say, it's not usually the belt that fails, it's usually the tensioner, the water pump or the rollers that wear out and snap the belt.
    So changing the belt alone is just a waste of money.

Belts do just snap. They crack with age / mileage and eventually just give.

A worn out water pump will usually just leak / get noisy.

I would expect any competent mechanic to check the condition of the tensioners when he is replacing the belt.

If the water pump is working perfectly well and leak free and the tensioners are good, i wouldnt be replacing either if the O/P is planning on changing the car relatively soon anyway.

Risk of a belt snapping however.....
  • sevenhills
    sevenhills Posts: 5,887 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    motorguy wrote: »
    Any 2005 car with a years MOT is worth £750 i'd have thought, maybe more.

My car(2006) has 11 months test remaining, I would snap your hand off at £300, it does need a timing belt though.
  • iolanthe07
    iolanthe07 Posts: 5,493 Forumite
    Options
    Not all cambelt failures result in catastrophic engine damage. Some (Mazda MX5 for example) cars have non-interference cambelts where the pistons will not hit the valves in the event of failure. Does the Astra have a non-interference belt? If it does, I wouldn't change it.
    I used to think that good grammar is important, but now I know that good wine is importanter.
  • Fireflyaway
    Fireflyaway Posts: 2,766 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your input.
    In response to some question if this helps clarify things. I had the car serviced to ensure its safe as possible for winter. Mechanic said can belt would cost in the region of £250 and my guess is the car is probably worth about the same, maybe a bit less even.
    I'm hoping to have saved enough by February to buy a new car.
    If worse happens, my work is within walking distance so could get by for a while without major issues. Husband commutes and daughter is collected for school. Can do online shopping. Would be a bit of a pain but not a disaster.
  • andrewmp
    andrewmp Posts: 1,754 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    My astra has done 120,000 miles and is 12 years old. At recent service, mechanic advised I replace the cambelt.

My dilemma is I'm planning to save for a new car and can't decide whether to do the cambelt now ( prob cost more than car is worth) or risk it for a few months till I buy a new car? I've been told if the belt fails the car will be wrecked but I'm reluctant to spend money on a car I only need for a few more months.

I'd risk it. It's likely to last, if it does't, you've lost nowt. The alternative is spending circa £250 now guaranteed, money you could put towards a new car.
  • worried_jim
    worried_jim Posts: 11,631 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    The paranoia knowing it could go at anytime would drive me insane. I'd pay to get it done so I could sleep at night. Big Bang at rush hour on that junction blocking all the traffic, a thousand pairs of eyes giving you the evils as they crawl past, well worth £250 not to experience this.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure