Options

Comments

• cloud_dog
    cloud_dog Posts: 6,044 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    HUMBUG wrote: »
    PS.
    Here's another little crafty ploy that the bankers have consorted together to punish savers (especially the elderly again who have no access to computers or the internet). When you want to transfer a cash isa from your existing provider to another , there is no process to do it via post . You have to first create a cash ISA account with the new provider 'Online' .
    What a load of trollocks! :mad:

My mother has enough trouble using a PVR on her Freeview box so, online accounts have never come in to the equation but she manges quite well movings existing accounts / opening new ones when required, all with at or near the top interest rates.
    Personal Responsibility - Sad but True :D

Sometimes.... I am like a dog with a bone
  • despair
    despair Posts: 22 Forumite
    Options
    i was born at the end of WW11 and i violently object to the claim that baby boomers are at fault and they did not live within their means

The only loan i ever had was a mortgage and the struggle to pay that during its first years and when interest rates were 12% and 15% was a real challenge
    but it was make do and mend and accept what cast offs came my way from furniture to clothes and beyond

I always went without and saved for what i needed and much of my furniture is still from 1970s

So how dare anyone claim baby boomers are yo blame for the crisis
    I sure know that i am being very very heavily penalised for being a carer with no opportunity to join a pension scheme
    I refuse to be criticised for struggling to save for retirement and have that condescending twit Mark Carney say " savers especially the elderly had to suffer "but then in Dec 2016 state "savers are not poorer "

My grandkids have zero hope of ever getting their own home and all fault for that lies very very firmly at the door of the BofE with low rates,and FLS and TFS that have pushed house prices beyond reason
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,426 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    condescending twit Mark Carney say " savers especially the elderly had to suffer "but then in Dec 2016 state "savers are not poorer "

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2275355/Mark-Carney-Why-savers-particularly-elderly-suffer-record-low-rates-new-Bank-Governor.html

And that was when the rate was 0.5%...

And those saving for a deposit are also suffering despite HTB ISA/LISA....

I would hesitate to call the dear Governor a twit - complacent perhaps and not for nothing has he earned the soubriquet of "the unreliable boyfriend...":)
  • despair
    Options
    Carney like all the rest of the MPC are the rich international elite
    They sit in an ivory tower on mega bucks incomes and have never ever known what it was like to spend a childhood in abject poverty
    to work hard 20 hours a day
    to struggle and scrimp and save

Instead they dine on caviar and champagne and are blind deaf and dumb to the effects of their crazy decisions on ordinary people young or old alike
    The MPC have got it all wrong but they refuse to loose face and damage their huge egos and admit they are wrong

i suggest you read J B Hearn word press on what they reported to TSC
    that is the truth of the situation
  • le_loup
    le_loup Posts: 4,047 Forumite
    Options
    despair wrote: »
    They sit in an ivory tower on mega bucks incomes and have never ever known what it was like to spend a childhood in abject poverty
    to work hard 20 hours a day
    to struggle and scrimp and save
    Only twenty hours a day? You had it lucky. When I was a child in abject poverty, I had to work hard down pit for 26 hours a day AND was glad of it! Mind you eating the coal when the overseer was not looking kept out bellies full.
  • OldMusicGuy
    OldMusicGuy Posts: 1,758 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 31 March 2017 at 12:30PM
    Options
    le_loup wrote: »
    Only twenty hours a day? You had it lucky. When I was a child in abject poverty, I had to work hard down pit for 26 hours a day AND was glad of it! Mind you eating the coal when the overseer was not looking kept out bellies full.
    :rotfl: You tell the young people of today that and they won't believe you......
  • despair
    Options
    mine are very well aware of the 20 hours a day i worked
    they often had to help me
    even today they work at least 18 hrs a day to keep their self employed businesses afloat
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,070 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    despair wrote: »
    mine are very well aware of the 20 hours a day i worked
    they often had to help me
    even today they work at least 18 hrs a day to keep their self employed businesses afloat
    Perhaps it passed you by but your comments were being gently lampooned in the style of the famous Monty Python 'Four Yorkshiremen' sketch, which nicely parodied those who try to outdo each other with exaggerated and embellished tales of hardship from the good/bad old days:

GC: House? You were lucky to have a HOUSE! We used to live in one room, all hundred and twenty-six of us, no furniture. Half the floor was missing; we were all huddled together in one corner for fear of FALLING!
    TJ: You were lucky to have a ROOM! *We* used to have to live in a corridor!
    MP: Ohhhh we used to DREAM of livin' in a corridor! Woulda' been a palace to us. We used to live in an old water tank on a rubbish tip. We got woken up every morning by having a load of rotting fish dumped all over us! House!? Hmph.
    EI: Well when I say 'house' it was only a hole in the ground covered by a piece of tarpolin, but it was a house to US.
    GC: We were evicted from *our* hole in the ground; we had to go and live in a lake!
    TJ: You were lucky to have a LAKE! There were a hundred and sixty of us living in a small shoebox in the middle of the road.
    MP: Cardboard box?
    TJ: Aye.
    MP: You were lucky. We lived for three months in a brown paper bag in a septic tank. We used to have to get up at six o'clock in the morning, clean the bag, eat a crust of stale bread, go to work down mill for fourteen hours a day week in-week out. When we got home, our Dad would thrash us to sleep with his belt!
    GC: Luxury. We used to have to get out of the lake at three o'clock in the morning, clean the lake, eat a handful of hot gravel, go to work at the mill every day for tuppence a month, come home, and Dad would beat us around the head and neck with a broken bottle, if we were LUCKY!
    TJ: Well we had it tough. We used to have to get up out of the shoebox at twelve o'clock at night, and LICK the road clean with our tongues. We had half a handful of freezing cold gravel, worked twenty-four hours a day at the mill for fourpence every six years, and when we got home, our Dad would slice us in two with a bread knife.
    EI: Right. I had to get up in the morning at ten o'clock at night, half an hour before I went to bed, (pause for laughter), drink a cup of sulphuric acid, work twenty-nine hours a day down mill, and pay mill owner for permission to come to work, and when we got home, our Dad and our mother would kill us, and dance about on our graves singing 'Hallelujah.'
    MP: But you try and tell the young people today that... and they won't believe ya'.
    ALL: Nope, nope..
  • HUMBUG
    HUMBUG Posts: 347 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    cloud_dog wrote: »
    What a load of trollocks! :mad:

My mother has enough trouble using a PVR on her Freeview box so, online accounts have never come in to the equation but she manges quite well movings existing accounts / opening new ones when required, all with at or near the top interest rates.

This is an even bigger load of trollocks!!!! So how does she know all the best top interest rates ? Does she scan through all the financial sections in the local newspapers or pay a subscription to a finance magazine every month? Do you believe that the majority of 85+ year olds do that? And what happens if that old person is handicapped , blind or deaf or both? Will the nice little bankers assist them and say 'Mrs Smith, we really think you should consider switching your money to another bank with a better rate. We will assist you all we can' ? Or will they just 'take them to the cleaners'? Have a general guess!!!!
    No matter what you or other bankers (and independent financial advisors 'pushers') on these threads regurgitate to defend greedy institutions (who basically gambled our money away) , they will never be forgiven. They are serial stealers of our money with no scruples, and even scarier, no guilt conscience.
  • HUMBUG
    HUMBUG Posts: 347 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    eskbanker wrote: »
    Perhaps it passed you by but your comments were being gently lampooned in the style of the famous Monty Python 'Four Yorkshiremen' sketch, which nicely parodied those who try to outdo each other with exaggerated and embellished tales of hardship from the good/bad old days:

GC: House? You were lucky to have a HOUSE! We used to live in one room, all hundred and twenty-six of us, no furniture. Half the floor was missing; we were all huddled together in one corner for fear of FALLING!
    TJ: You were lucky to have a ROOM! *We* used to have to live in a corridor!
    MP: Ohhhh we used to DREAM of livin' in a corridor! Woulda' been a palace to us. We used to live in an old water tank on a rubbish tip. We got woken up every morning by having a load of rotting fish dumped all over us! House!? Hmph.
    EI: Well when I say 'house' it was only a hole in the ground covered by a piece of tarpolin, but it was a house to US.
    GC: We were evicted from *our* hole in the ground; we had to go and live in a lake!
    TJ: You were lucky to have a LAKE! There were a hundred and sixty of us living in a small shoebox in the middle of the road.
    MP: Cardboard box?
    TJ: Aye.
    MP: You were lucky. We lived for three months in a brown paper bag in a septic tank. We used to have to get up at six o'clock in the morning, clean the bag, eat a crust of stale bread, go to work down mill for fourteen hours a day week in-week out. When we got home, our Dad would thrash us to sleep with his belt!
    GC: Luxury. We used to have to get out of the lake at three o'clock in the morning, clean the lake, eat a handful of hot gravel, go to work at the mill every day for tuppence a month, come home, and Dad would beat us around the head and neck with a broken bottle, if we were LUCKY!
    TJ: Well we had it tough. We used to have to get up out of the shoebox at twelve o'clock at night, and LICK the road clean with our tongues. We had half a handful of freezing cold gravel, worked twenty-four hours a day at the mill for fourpence every six years, and when we got home, our Dad would slice us in two with a bread knife.
    EI: Right. I had to get up in the morning at ten o'clock at night, half an hour before I went to bed, (pause for laughter), drink a cup of sulphuric acid, work twenty-nine hours a day down mill, and pay mill owner for permission to come to work, and when we got home, our Dad and our mother would kill us, and dance about on our graves singing 'Hallelujah.'
    MP: But you try and tell the young people today that... and they won't believe ya'.
    ALL: Nope, nope..

Did you have to list the whole scene! Did you think by doing that would belittle 'Despair' even more? Typical banker.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure