What small DFW things will you do this week - w/c 2nd October?

Options

Comments

• MagicBeans
    Options
    Evening all.

So the blooming boiler man cancelled AGAIN!
    He promises tomorrow. We'll see! Hate being let down.
    Today did end up being a NSD so that's a plus.

Sat down to watch tv for the evening.

Tomorrow won't strictly be another NSD, but kinda will. I have to buy a cat litter, but I put the cash aside for it last Friday. So it's a budgeted spend. I know people count NSD's differently, so I dunno. But it will only be £4 I've already set aside, so I still feel good about it.

Tomorrows MSE goals, pretty much the same;
    ~ take lunch into work,
    ~ dinner from stores,
    ~ log cals in free app,
    ~ walk to and from work,
    ~ get boiler serviced (3rd time lucky) :mad:,
    ~ only £4 planned and budgeted spend.

Hope you're all having a lovely evening.
  • foxgloves
    foxgloves Posts: 11,118 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Hello Wednesday People,
    Just a few bits from me today:
    *Cleared very large ironing pile but sorted it thoroughly first so as to expend electricity only on what really needed it.
    *'Free' meal tonight as we ate one of the pasta bakes I made yesterday to use up some of our home-grown produce.
    *Did a survey & a prize draw.
    *Bought a litre of cheap vodka & started off this year's fruit liqueur. Blackberry & pear this year using fruit from our garden & Aldi sugar. Will give a couple of small bottles of this as gifts.
    *Updated October budget & grocery budget as I really need to keep on top of spending this month.
    *Have done a bit more knitting for my sales basket - turned the heel on a sock, picked up for the foot & will have shaped the foot & be half way down to the toes by bedtime. All yarn is from my stash......there have been no naughty little wool shop spends.
    *Started my new £2.99 moisturiser........cannot justify replacing the empty pot of my usual fabby stuff at £26. Will treat myself to another jar on a month where I can better afford it.
    *Chillier night tonight, but have put the little shawl round my shoulders that I knitted over summer from gifted yarn & no heating will be going on tonight......apart from heated towel radiator in bathroom, which is slightly different.
    My best wishes to all those who are struggling at the moment.
    Love f x
    "For each of our actions there are only consequences" (James Lovelock)"For in the true nature of things......every green tree is far more glorious than if it were made of gold & silver" (Martin Luther King Jnr)
  • determined_new_ms
    Options
    MagicBeans wrote: »

Tomorrow won't strictly be another NSD, but kinda will. I have to buy a cat litter, but I put the cash aside for it last Friday. So it's a budgeted spend. I know people count NSD's differently, so I dunno. But it will only be £4 I've already set aside, so I still feel good about it.

MagicBeans I find NSDs quite hard - takes a little more organisation than I possess :o But I am really good at sticking to my budget (quite target focused ;) ). and if I need something I'm also good at going in a SM and just getting the items on my list :money: I think NSDs are good to aim for but it's better to be able to stick to your allocated budgets.

Work out how you want to account/include/exclude and then you're golden :D
    DF as at 30/12/16
    Womblng 2020:
    NSD Jan 2/18 YTD: 2
  • foxgloves
    Options
    I totally agree with DNMS on the topic of NSDs. I think they're over- rated as a money saving tool. Of course if you usually go out & fritter money on tat every day, then having days where you spend nothing is useful. But you could have 10 nice shiny NSDs in a row, then go out on the 11th day & blow a big hole in your budget. That is a lot worse than spending as appropriate WITHIN BUDGET every day. So although I often feel pleased if I go 2 or 3 days without spending anything, that in itself isn't as important as simply setting a realistic budget at the beginning of each month & simply sticking to it. I will spend every day if I want/need to, but not on things I haven't budgeted for, & that's what has stopped the frittering.
    F x
    "For each of our actions there are only consequences" (James Lovelock)"For in the true nature of things......every green tree is far more glorious than if it were made of gold & silver" (Martin Luther King Jnr)
  • La_escocesa
    La_escocesa Posts: 3,096 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Hi gang :wave:

Nice to hear from you all :)
    Remember the bag that the shop wouldn't initially take to sell?! It sold for £40! :beer:
    I promptly put the cash towards a pair of boots... :p I do love having a pocket money fund for emergency boots :o :rotfl:

Here's me:
    - YS watermelon and free blueberry muffin for brekkie :cool:
    - Leftovers for lunch; OH took a YS noodle pot thingy
    - Bit of a 'use up' tea tonight :A
    - Checked banking/sorted YNAB
    - Replied to biz query :T
    - Checking out the cheapest option for train travel this weekend... :think:
    - Decided to take back a pair of shoes I bought yesterday (see above! :rotfl:)

Catch up later my lovelies!

xx
  • MagicBeans
    Options
    Hi all!

I agree that making and sticking to a budget is paramount. I try to, but lately, if I'm having an off day (more than I'd like! Ha), I would end up trotting off down to the local shop in my lunch time and blowing my budget, making it near on impossible to stick to it every month. Couldn't carry on like that, so am trying to focus on something to give me that little nudge to snap me out of it. :o:)
    Also ended up blowing the diet this way and I REALLY need to lose 2 stone. :eek:

I've also been having lots of "use up" dinners lately. Got a stock of foods I've grown bored of in the freezer after buying too many, so forcing myself to become a little more inventive and also use them up. Even YS items don't have an infinite date once frozen. :rotfl:
  • FatVonD
    FatVonD Posts: 5,315 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Talking of YS items and sticking to your list in the supermarket, I went to the shop for some packing tape and came home with a joint of beef :rotfl:

It was however reduced to £3.60 and it looks fantastically lean.

I put back some finest pork medallions as I'm not keen on pork however bargainous it is.
    Make £25 a day in April £0/£750 (March £584, February £602, January £883.66)

December £361.54, November £322.28, October £288.52, September £374.30, August £223.95, July £71.45, June £251.22, May£119.33, April £236.24, March £106.74, Feb £40.99, Jan £98.54) Total for 2017 - £2,495.10
  • PurpleFairy26
    PurpleFairy26 Posts: 3,903 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Morning all :hello:

Band was fab on Tuesday and although a long day it was well worth it. We treated ourselves to dinner out but was very reasonable and we only had one (soft) drink each and only a main course . We didn’t have a drink at the venue :A cane fro treat money so all ok.

Back on the bandwagon, agree on NSD, sticking to budget is a priority, whichever ways work for you and increasing NSD Just isn’t on my radar but when I realise I’ve had. A few in a row it’s always nice :) today I have/will

Check banking, surveys and FPL
    Check fleabay listings, 7 will sell :T
    WFH :D
    Pop out with DH at some point to look for something for his birthday from my folks
    Book a hotel that was a present for us so no spend ;)
    Meals from stores
    Some more knitting tonight
    My wool for my next project arrived. It’s so pretty :o but it’s so thin compared to the chunky wool I’m using now :eek: I hoping to make 2 presents so the funds will come from present fund if that works out.

Enjoy your day peeps.
  • DawnW
    DawnW Posts: 7,440 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 5 October 2017 at 7:12PM
    Options
    Morning all :)
    Plans for today look like this:
    Finish sorting out items for sales unit, may take them down to the shop and put them in :)Done, took them in and had a good change around
    Do some cleaning and ironing :(Mucked out the dining room, did some hoovering and dusting, and am jut about to start the ironing - honest :o
    Sew a button on a dress and put it away (I hate sewing almost as much as ironing :() Must also do this!
    List at least one more item on ebay Managed about 5 :T
    Minimal cooking today after my massive batch cooking session yesterday! Salad made with fried chorizo, cannelini beans, chopped tomatoes and onion, dressed with the oil from the chorizo and lemon juice - very quick and easy, used lemon quarters from the freezer :)
    Deal with a bowlful of apples gifted to OH, which have been sitting there for long enough Not done
    Water large pots in garden Watered the quince tree, must do the others over the next day or two!
    Check for surveys Would you believe still no onepoll surveys - I have 5p to go before I can cash out :( Did a long and boring one for Ipsos about makeup, which isn't a topic I am much interested in!

There will probably be more, so I will be back later to update :)
  • foxgloves
    Options
    Hi Thursday Poundstretchers,
    Some little useful bits of stuff today but have been quite busy on local political stuff so perhaps not as proactive with household economies as I might have been. Anyway, here goes:
    *Used left over cooked apples with my oats this morning for breakfast......in fact the oats were also kind of a 'use it up' as they were the last bit from a box of muesli.....you know, the bit that's left when all the interesting nuts & dates & stuff has been picked out.
    *Used leftover lemon & cinnamon syrup to poach a few more pears for the freezer.
    *Just in case anyone thought the pear glut might be just about over here, it's not. The windy night has fetched a load more off the tree so I will be popping out in a minute to round up probably another 4 kilos.
    *Make tomorrow's packed lunch.
    *Did some surveys.
    *Do next week's meal plans - have pretty much sorted this in my head, just need to work it through on paper to get each meal on the optimum day for not wasting food.
    *Can't remember if I mentioned I was recruited onto an online customer feedback forum via a Toluna survey from a couple of weeks ago. I have only done the 1st two projects, which were nothing onerous at all, & very quick & I have received payment of £28 in vouchers. That's more than I thought, so will be very useful to buy some presents from my Christmas shopping list. I am just pricing things up this week & next so I will be able to cross those things off as now being 'budget-neutral'. Updated signature, as I like to keep a tally of my survey income.
    *Knit for sales basket. This sock could be finished by tomorrow night if I put my mind to it & get those needles clicking.
    *Make sourdough loaf - that's in progress, just on its 2nd proving. I can tell that it's dropped a little colder as it isn't rising as quickly as it usually does. No heating on yet though.
    *Investigated whether there is an Aldi near Mum's. We need to visit this Saturday but won't have shopped. There is! And it's actually on the outskirts of her village. We are trying to avoid having to go out for our groceries on Sunday as we would like to have a day out together for a nice stress-busting walk.
    Well, I must go & fetch the pear bucket. If you lot all lived within a 10 miles radius of me, I'd be dropping secret deliveries of pears on your doorsteps in the dead of night. We have been overwhelmed with them! Might have to make another batch of chutney because you know I can't bear wasting things.
    OK, cheers all,
    F x
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure