The Simple Bare Necessities feat. Gratitude & Recipes

Options

Comments

• Greying_Pilgrim
    Options
    Good Evening :hello:
    mothernerd wrote: »
    Just keep doing what you can, it does get easier (or possibly the problems change as they get older).

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl: Thanks mothernerd :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Meet up was wonderful - Mum Chum R is always such a tonic to be with. Fun yet pragmatic and open and honest about snafu's, failures and mistakes. It's never a p1$$1ng competition when we meet up, which is refreshing.

Another chum has had success and validation today, so I am :T:T:T into the ether on their behalf. Choice and freedom is good and they have earnt both - whatever the future holds for them. Change is on the cards, and they are going confidently forward.

Baby Greying tried something new today, at R's instigation, and liked it :T

MrL was OOS on half the items on the shopping list again today...... ho hum :(

Tea this evening was a new to me dish, that I was trying for the first time. I will be the first to say that I never cook biriyani how it is supposed to be cooked, so I used the Paneer Biriyani recipe as a ingredient inspiration, rather than following it to the letter. It didn't do it for me. There wasn't sufficient taste to it. I think in future, I shall save paneer for 'sauced' dishes, such as saag paneer, and leave biriyanis to old favourites such as mushrooms and mixed veg. It wasn't the recipe's fault, it just didn't work out how I had anticipated it might, with my tweaks. Picture here;

006_zpst19nxmfr.jpg

Today I am grateful for these 3 things;

a thoughtful gift for Baby Greying

three hours of fun for less than a fiver :D

friends getting the recognition that they deserve :D:T

Ta for popping in, reading and joining in the conversation - it is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Greying X
    Pounds for Panes £2,590/£10,000 - start date Dec 2023

Coins for Camping (April) -  £8/£15  (Camping TTD - £60/90)

Grocery spend April £214.28/215
    Non-food household spend April £29.23/25
    Bulk Fund April 0/£10

Knitted items for charity 1/24 (inc. Blankets 1/6)
  • little_sweetie
    Options
    Hi GP,
    The thing I remember most vividly about having children is the feeling of tiredness and just plain bone weariness most of the time. It will get better, please don't worry about the house looking pristine. Clean is enough! At least hubby is helping when he can. Some men can't be seen for dust (mine was included!)

little_sweetie - how big are the windows on the van, and do they open? Could you not set up a (im)mobile pizza joint and coin it in during your enforced time away from home? :D

Greying X

What a brilliant idea! We have a huge window at the front which lifts up so it would be perfect :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Have a super day GP secure in the knowledge you are a great mum :) x

PS I can't understand some of the personal, thoughtless comments people are making....(sweetie walks away shaking head and tutting......)
    Sealed Pot Challenge #012
    SPC #5 £111 SPC #6 £175 SPC #7 £151 SPC#8 £78 SPC#9 £72.50 SPC #10 £23.50 SPC #11 £276.18
    SPC #12 £108.56 SPC 13 £127.89 SPC 14 £113.62
  • Greying_Pilgrim
    Options
    Good Morning :hello:

Aw little_sweetie - that is kind of you to say. Thank you :D

Well, I was half way through my post last night, pressed the wrong button and *!!!!!!!* .... I was gone...... er, no, hang on, that's not right... :think:.... i pressed the wrong button and *!!!!!!!* my post was gone :(

So I quit, rather than get myself more niggled.

I was only wittering on about chazza shop buys anyway - got several things for BG which were very reasonable, good (enough) quality and each item less than the cost of a cup of coffee out... (depending on yer choice of caff, natch :D)

Got to watch that I don't end up hoarding too much. I think I'm going to set myself an age limit to not buy clothes beyond - probably around the sort of time 'merchandised' or branded clothing may start to appeal. I have been gifted some clothes for when BG is quite a bit older, but a) I have been told to pass them on if I really don't want them and b) they could be reasonably useful for messy play or home/emergency wear if BG doesn't become addicted to cartoon characters or the latest fashions.........

Tea last night was a buddha bowl. I took inspiration from Laura's Simple Sweet Potato & Black Bean Burrito Bowl but ended up following the recipe at chelseasmessyapron. I have to say, I probably wouldn't bother with the sauce again - thinned mayo is thinned mayo, however you gussie it up. I put my black beans into a smoky, chilli (not very hot) tomato sauce, just because I wanted to. The recipe was good - a bit too complicated (ie component-wise) for a week night, but I used up 2 sweet potatos that had been kicking about a while, the last red pepper from mrL's PoTW, the last 100g or so of black beans (dried) out of the jar and used a frozen avocado half (hence odd colour) each. So I was happy with it overall. I used brown rice because I had some, I had considered quinoa, as again, I had some, but the rice was good. Picture here;

021_zpsbcmxws2u.jpg

I need to give rtandon advance notice that we willl not be eating pizza for tea tonight, as we are entertaining (low key). But curry is on the menu for tomorrow night :D

Right, best shift a tail feather and seize the day. Lots to do. First and foremost is to see if I can move without disturbing BG...........

Greying X

Bulk Fund April 0/£10

• Greying_Pilgrim
    Greying_Pilgrim Posts: 5,429 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 20 January 2017 at 1:16PM
    Options
    Slow start at the towers this morning - and it is still morning as I type this sentence..... just! ;)

I actually think that I am currently in the midst of the bone-tiring weariness, that little_sweetie mentioned, at the moment. My sleep is either being interrupted by BG - which is acceptable, or being hampered all together by worry and stress caused by a load of adults - not acceptable! But whilst I can forgive BG anything, I cannot get past the actions of the adults, and it feels like there is no one to help :(

I have however, tidied out my food storage boxe this morning and I am chucking several items out. They are going. I am not even going to tell you what they are, as you will realise that it pains me greatly to waste food. But the food is 'out of date' - not a crime in itself, and never a precursor to arbitrarily throwing things away - but if I haven't managed to use it in the 3 or so years that I have had it (has it really been so lonnnng????? :o) then I'm not going to suddenly jump up and start using it....... let's be honest here.

And yes, it does doubly hurt because food prices are rising. DH went to mrAl last night to get things from the S6 only to encounter the celery still being 47p, rather than 39p. On account of it is Spanish produce and their harvests have been poor/adversely affected by poor weather. Part of me thinks, well we'll do without (cannot understand all the fuss about lack of courgettes - there will be plenty of British ones available come summer), and part of me thinks that this is the way that things are going to be from hereonin. There is always going to be some reason or other for rising prices - whether they are genuine or manufactured to profiteer.

There is quite an interesting thread on the OS board - can you tell I've been whiling away the wee small hours?...... - about simplification of storecupboards and the perils of too much choice. It's quite an interesting read, and you find yourself nodding about certain things. I'm not too bad on toiletries etc, we tend to have one soap, one shampoo etc, but lentils? beans? rice? :o

Right, I think that the weather has got better, so I think I'm off out for a walk and some fresh air. Blast the cobwebs away :D

Thanks for listening.

Greying X

Bulk Fund April 0/£10

• rtandon27
    rtandon27 Posts: 4,538 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    thanks for the heads up - think I'll go lie down & recover

;):D:rotfl:

pssst - OH asked for fish & chips for his BD meal today...
    ...a man of simple tastes...now if only I could convince him that the freezer section of our local MrS yields something equilavent to the chippy, we could have fish & chips every day for a week for the same cost...;)
    4 YEARS 10 MONTHS DEBT FREE!!! (24 OCT 2016)
    (With heartfelt thanks to those who have gone before us & their indubitable generosity.)
    ...and now I have a mortgage! (23 AUG 2021)
    17 YEARS 4 MONTHS LEFT OF 20 YEARS
  • Pippilongstocking
    Pippilongstocking Posts: 16,336 Forumite
    edited 21 January 2017 at 8:48AM
    Options
    I popped over to OS and had a peak very interesting me dear. We are kinda the same, one shampoo/slash shower gel, one moisturiser etc but as for jars and storecupboards, you'd think almost I could open a wee sooperscoop shop. I need to work on that. Throw back to short food when I was a kid I think, I'm a food hoarder.

I wish I could offer some help with tired bones.

As for non seasonal food, I shan't start.

I promise.

Hope today is rejuvinating.

(RT sometimes sweetie I fear our OH's are related.)
    Total debt 26/4/18 <£1925 we were getting there. :beer:
    Total debt as of 28/4/19 £7867.38:eek:
    minus 112.06 = £7755.32:money:
    :money:Sleeves up folks.:money:
  • Pippilongstocking
    Pippilongstocking Posts: 16,336 Forumite
    edited 21 January 2017 at 10:06AM
    Options
    I thought I'd over share (not like me eh) as to the people babies thing.

Recently very prickly devestated single mum, new house, new community first thing I get asked in playgroup what does your husband do, insert awkward well actually I'm a single mum tearful reply.

Second question - are both the kids from the same dad.

Jaw on floor, instantly turned from loving doting mum, clearly upset and struggling to potential husband stealer and Jezzabelle.

Thankfully an older, sager mum watched the onslaught and popped over and just said 'how much for the boy, he's quite pretty, do you want to swap for my non-sleeping teething son I could give you money too'. Oh how I laughed and cried all at once, someone was actually kind.

First lady harrumphed away, I've been chums with the second lady for 20 years now.

Had she not intervened, I don't know if I'd ever have managed in my delicate state to venture out the house again.
    Total debt 26/4/18 <£1925 we were getting there. :beer:
    Total debt as of 28/4/19 £7867.38:eek:
    minus 112.06 = £7755.32:money:
    :money:Sleeves up folks.:money:
  • Greying_Pilgrim
    Options
    I thought I'd over share (not like me eh) as to the people babies thing.

Recently very prickly devestated single mum, new house, new community first thing I get asked in playgroup what does your husband do, insert awkward well actually I'm a single mum tearful reply.

Second question - are both the kids from the same dad.

Jaw on floor, instantly turned from loving doting mum, clearly upset and struggling to potential husband stealer and Jezzabelle.

Thankfully an older, sager mum watched the onslaught and popped over and just said 'how much for the boy, he's quite pretty, do you want to swap for my non-sleeping teething son I could give you money too'. Oh how I laughed and cried all at once, someone was actually kind.

First lady harrumphed away, I've been chums with the second lady for 20 years now.

Had she not intervened, I don't know if I'd ever have managed in my delicate state to venture out the house again.

:kisses3: Which proves my theory, that I love being female, and I love how supportive women can be of each other, and against 'the world' - but lawks, they can be b*****s to one another at times :( I'm currently enjoying the support of a super group of gals, whilst trying to take on the 'machine', who's chief idiot, who ballsaid everything up is........ a woman. * sigh*

XX

Bulk Fund April 0/£10

• Greying_Pilgrim
    Options

It's a quick duck in from me - I am postitively cream-crackered :(

I have been using my brain-cell (singular) this afternoon and it has quite taken it out of me :o:rotfl:

Went shopping for bits and pieces off the list for next week today. DH insisted on coming along. Mistake. 2 things were added to the list that were not there beforehand and weren't desperately needed/we could have made do. i now have £6 left in my grocery budget until the end of the month (and don't worry, technically, I can borrow from elsewhere, I'm just stubborn and don't want to! :o) DH doesn't understand the concept of budgetting......

Tea this evening was Palak Paneer, dhal and rice. It made use of one of the paneer blocks - i know I said the other day that it was 69p from h3ron f00ds, but then I remembered that this was actually 3 for £1 - hence why i had 6 in the freezer! It also used up half a bag of frozen spinach and rice and lentils out of stores. The palak paneer recipe was from the Hairy Bikers. Picture here;

029_zpsjkqrvxqe.jpg

Mine looks slightly different because I stirred some yoghurt in and I did partially puree it too, for ease of dishing up.

Today I am grateful for these 3 things;

DH enjoying 'daddy time' with BG - it also freed me up to do something that desparately needs attending to.

for money in my purse, ingredients in my cupboard, food in my tummy - not as commonplace as we may expect........

for a reminder to be kinder.....................

Thanks for popping in and chatting. Appreciated.

Greying X

Bulk Fund April 0/£10

• Cheery_Daff
    Cheery_Daff Posts: 15,710 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Evening Greying :hello:

Just popped in to make sure I hadn't accidentally unsubscribed like a plonker (it's happened before... :o )

Hope all's well at Greying Towers and that your dealings with the 'machine' aren't getting you down too much.

Thought of you tonight when I walked past a frozen pizza in @ldi - we've not had one all month :j Mr Cheery even stopped me buying some 35p pears as they weren't on the shopping list or meal plan :rotfl: I thought to myself 'Greying would be proud' :D (then I realised you weren't actually sitting on my shoulder watching me doing the shopping - I'm sure you're doing something far more interesting!) :)

Xx
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport