High Interest Current Accounts - Timing of Regular transfers in and out

Options
I am making use of multiple high interest Current Accounts like TSB Classic and Nationwide Flex Direct. To satisfy the minimum monthly pay-in on these accounts I have set up regular transfers into and immediately out of the accounts on the same day every month. This seems to work OK but I notice the advice on the MSE website is to transfer in and out on consecutive days or even 2 days later. Am I at risk of something going wrong by doing it on the same day?

Comments

• YorkshireBoy
    YorkshireBoy Posts: 31,541 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    dsio2 wrote: »
    Am I at risk of something going wrong by doing it on the same day?
    Only if the account balances are below the value of the transactions.

But you may lose interest if Tesco are involved, as they're the only one who send automated payments on a non-working day.
  • ColdIron
    ColdIron Posts: 9,054 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    No, there is no need to wait, a shake of a nanny goat's tail will do
    Obviously you need to make sure neither account goes into overdraft
  • TheShape
    TheShape Posts: 1,779 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    dsio2 wrote: »
    I am making use of multiple high interest Current Accounts like TSB Classic and Nationwide Flex Direct. To satisfy the minimum monthly pay-in on these accounts I have set up regular transfers into and immediately out of the accounts on the same day every month. This seems to work OK but I notice the advice on the MSE website is to transfer in and out on consecutive days or even 2 days later. Am I at risk of something going wrong by doing it on the same day?

There is a possibility that a system failure could prevent a SO being paid from one account to another. If a SO then leaves an account without an expected payment going in, it could put you overdrawn. It won't be a problem if the accounts involved hold a balance equal to or greater than the SO amount (accounts earning interest should usually be in credit by a significant amount) but might be a problem for accounts that hold a small or no balance.

I automate payment for my accounts that hold balances (Nationwide,TSB,BOS etc) but do manual FPs for others (M&S,Halifax etc) checking the payment has been received before transferring it out.
  • dsio2
    Options
    Thanks for the tip regarding Tesco and non-working days. I have a Tesco Account but it is not currently in the regular transfer loop. I'll need to be careful if including Tesco in future.
  • talexuser
    talexuser Posts: 3,499 Forumite
    Options
    I do all of my transfers (Santander, Lloyds, BoS, TSB, Tesco, Nationwide) on the same day and never had a problem. Do them mid month so weekends cannot creep up on you at beginning or end of months to miss a payment.
  • YorkshireBoy
    Options
    talexuser wrote: »
    I do all of my transfers (Santander, Lloyds, BoS, TSB, Tesco, Nationwide) on the same day and never had a problem.
    Why are you transferring in and out of Tesco when you've all those other accounts?
  • talexuser
    talexuser Posts: 3,499 Forumite
    Options
    Why are you transferring in and out of Tesco when you've all those other accounts?

because I never bothered to stop the £750 a month swap seeing as it does not affect the interest and they are both permanently at 3 grand anyway ;)
  • YorkshireBoy
    Options
    talexuser wrote: »
    because I never bothered to stop the £750 a month swap seeing as it does not affect the interest and they are both permanently at 3 grand anyway ;)
    I'm in the same position. Never stopped mine either. Kept them running just so I don't have an (almost) empty monthly statement! :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure