Default from Vodafone

Options
Hi,
In 2012 I cancelled my contract in the Jan giving 30 days notice. I didn't hear anything from Vodafone until a debt letter came in the post June 2012 from a dca. I paid straight away. I'm arguing with Vodafone ATM over it as I have only just realised it's a default as I'm applying for a mortgage. The satisfaction date on report is 2015 when it should be 2012 an the amount is £229. Will this stop me getting a mortgage?

Comments

• Chappaz
    Chappaz Posts: 138 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    When was the original default date?

The defaulted account should drop off your report 6 years after the first default date on the account. The satisfaction date shouldn't matter.

The good news is that it should drop off your report around June next year. Once that happens, it's like it was never there.

The bad news is that, until that happens, you're likely to find it more difficult to obtain a mortgage. The older the default is, the less it's taken into account, but many lenders still automatically reject mortgage applications if a default is found.

You'll probably still be able to get a mortgage, particularly if you use the right broker, but the interest rate will be higher and cost you in the long run.

Just be careful you don't try for mortgage applications, get rejected, and then try again. Each one will add a hard search to your file, and too many of them together can cause your credit rating to drop even further.

If I were you, I'd wait until the default has dropped off before applying for a mortgage (so you would have a year and few months to wait). I know that's easier said than done though, of course.
  • SparkleFtb
    SparkleFtb Posts: 13 Forumite
    Options
    The original default date was July 2012, the problem we have is we didn't know it was a default until we put an offer in on a house!

The satisfied date is July 2015 but it was infact satisfied in 2012, if we get that corrected will be have a better chance?
  • MEM62
    MEM62 Posts: 4,754 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    SparkleFtb wrote: »
    Will this stop me getting a mortgage?

It depends on the lender. You might benefit from speaking to a mortgage broker.

Don't expect any co-operation from Vodafone in dealing with the matter. Their customer service in these matters in simply appalling.
  • mrmagooooooo
    mrmagooooooo Posts: 95 Forumite
    Options
    MEM62 wrote: »
    It depends on the lender. You might benefit from speaking to a mortgage broker.

Don't expect any co-operation from Vodafone in dealing with the matter. Their customer service in these matters in simply appalling.

That doesnt mean you should not try with vodafone. although their customer service is indeed shocking you could try emailing their CEO.

Dont give up fighting vodafone to remove it if it is as you say incorrectly on there and if you get nowhere go to the ombudsman.
  • Vodafone
    Vodafone Posts: 4,297 Organisation Representative
    Options
    Hi SparkleFtb,

If you'd like me to take a look at this for you, please email me via the form here.

To access the form you'll need to enter the code WRT135.

As well as stating your query in the question box, please also quote "MSE Forum".

Once sent, you'll receive an automated reply with a reference number. Post it on here and I'll check that I've got it.

Kind regards,

Lee

Social Media CARE

Vodafone UK
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Vodafone. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • alfitz24
    alfitz24 Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    Hi,

I am praying someone on here can help me or give me advice.

I have recently been refused a mortgage or any form of credit so checked my credit score and have a default from Vodafone on my account, due to a sim only deal I took out and mistakenly did not make payment for and built up £41 in debt. As soon as I realised I built this debt up I called up and paid but it was to late as the default was already there.

I already have a mobile phone contact with Vodafone which I pay monthly via direct debit and assumed my sim only deal would be under the same account and the direct debit to be taken monthly with my other mobile phone tariff but apparently they were different accounts.

II only used this sim card for a short period of time then stopped using it (this is why I did not realise it had been cut off) and never got around to cancelling it and I did not see this as an issue as I thought I was still paying for it. I went back to my mums house to visit family and had one letter from vodafone stating that one of my bills had not been paid (I am not sure why the sim only contract had my old address on it, I thought my other phone contract would be linked with this account and have the same postal address which is my up to date address)

When I saw this I called up and discovered that no payments had been taken in a while which is when I made the £41 payment and thought that was the end of it. A couple of months later I checked my credit score due to being refused any credit and saw I had a default issued against me before I made the £41 payment.

Surely Vodafone have to issue me with a letter informing me they will be issues a default against me? I have contacted them and they just said we are not going to remove it as it's your fault for having the wrong address on your account. I agree I should have checked but as I already was paying vodafone monthly via direct debit for my phone contracts I thought this included my sim only payments too.

This is really affecting my life and do not know what to do.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks, Alex
  • alfitz24
    alfitz24 Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    Hi,

I am praying someone on here can help me or give me advice.

I have recently been refused a mortgage or any form of credit so checked my credit score and have a default from Vodafone on my account, due to a sim only deal I took out and mistakenly did not make payment for and built up £41 in debt. As soon as I realised I built this debt up I called up and paid but it was to late as the default was already there.

I already have a mobile phone contact with Vodafone which I pay monthly via direct debit and assumed my sim only deal would be under the same account and the direct debit to be taken monthly with my other mobile phone tariff but apparently they were different accounts.

II only used this sim card for a short period of time then stopped using it (this is why I did not realise it had been cut off) and never got around to cancelling it and I did not see this as an issue as I thought I was still paying for it. I went back to my mums house to visit family and had one letter from vodafone stating that one of my bills had not been paid (I am not sure why the sim only contract had my old address on it, I thought my other phone contract would be linked with this account and have the same postal address which is my up to date address)

When I saw this I called up and discovered that no payments had been taken in a while which is when I made the £41 payment and thought that was the end of it. A couple of months later I checked my credit score due to being refused any credit and saw I had a default issued against me before I made the £41 payment.

Surely Vodafone have to issue me with a letter informing me they will be issues a default against me? I have contacted them and they just said we are not going to remove it as it's your fault for having the wrong address on your account. I agree I should have checked but as I already was paying vodafone monthly via direct debit for my phone contracts I thought this included my sim only payments too.

This is really affecting my life and do not know what to do.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks, Alex
  • Vodafone
    Vodafone Posts: 4,297 Organisation Representative
    Options
    Hi Alex,

I've just replied to you here.

Kind regards,

Lee

Vodafone Social Media
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Vodafone. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure